Misleading Thaivisa Weather Forecast

cheeryble

So today Sunday, if you click WEATHER you get the forecast for four areas near and including Muang Chiangmai.

"Chiangmai" shows rain starting on Tuesday.

But if you go to WEATHER and let it give you a scroll down then click CHIANGMAI you find the rain starts Sunday evening, is heavy on Monday, and continues on Tuesday and Wednesday.

One says Sunday.

One says Tuesday.

We are all waiting rather desperately for rain, and when it starts is important (not least to those who are deciding when to hire people to paint the house or lay a drive).

Would this be considered professional weather forecasting?

http://weather.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

Anybody who believes a weather forecast in Thailand (or in many other places) needs to have a reality check. Weather forecasting is not an exact science.

I'm under the impression short term weather forecasting is pretty accurate. Potentially smile.png .

As they show the temperature dropping from 38 to 29 by tomorrow.... a very decided cold front unless someone left the fridge door open.....it should be a pretty open and shut case one would think.

Not to mention, if they're going to get the forecast right or wrong at least make it consistently right or wrong from one page to the next.

(Note to self: could they be covering all bases?)

Edited by cheeryble

Anybody who believes a weather forecast in Thailand (or in many other places) needs to have a reality check. Weather forecasting is not an exact science.

I'm under the impression short term weather forecasting is pretty accurate. Potentially smile.png .

As they show the temperature dropping from 38 to 29 by tomorrow.... a very decided cold front unless someone left the fridge door open.....it should be a pretty open and shut case one would think.

Not to mention, if they're going to get the forecast right or wrong at least make it consistently right or wrong from one page to the next.

(Note to self: could they be covering all bases?)

They may not be covering all bases, but I think you are.

I love the concept of the weather forecasters being wrong on one page, and deciding that therefore they had to be wrong on the next!

To the OP. Try this link for Weather Radar. I've found it very reliable (back in NZ). It's computer modelled so is constantly updated with data that will modify the display for you as new data/trends are fed into the model. You can select a time slot and play the video and see where rain is likely to fall, where it comes from, and how long it is expected to last.

I'd rather trust this sort of model than a forecasters interpretation (probably of similar models admittedly), but the forecaster is summarising 2 or 3 days data covering hundreds of thousands of square kilometres into a simple phrase such as "rain on Thursday, or maybe Friday in parts of Chiang Mai."

Link: http://www.weather-forecast.com/maps/Thailand?symbols=none&type=prec

To the OP. Try this link for Weather Radar. I've found it very reliable (back in NZ). It's computer modelled so is constantly updated with data that will modify the display for you as new data/trends are fed into the model. You can select a time slot and play the video and see where rain is likely to fall, where it comes from, and how long it is expected to last.

I'd rather trust this sort of model than a forecasters interpretation (probably of similar models admittedly), but the forecaster is summarising 2 or 3 days data covering hundreds of thousands of square kilometres into a simple phrase such as "rain on Thursday, or maybe Friday in parts of Chiang Mai."

Link: http://www.weather-forecast.com/maps/Thailand?symbols=none&type=prec

Thankyou for that Gsrbxnx.....err....gyrjnz...err you know who you are.

Looks like some folks have had rain already.

• Like 1

Just checked the weather report for our closest Amphoe town (Chum Phae, 16km from my window),

http://weather.thaivisa.com/khon-kaen/

The temperature readings are a complete nonsense.

Temperatures at least reaching 39 yesterday, will probably be the same today,

Sun is burning from a hazy sky with few scattered clouds.

Rain? We had "5 drops per square foot" yesterday evening for a couple of minutes.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Rain? We had "5 drops per square foot" yesterday evening for a couple of minutes.

.....and Chiangmai had no heavy rain (or ANY rain) today as forecast.

Still, at least their other forecast was right.

ps:

Gsxrnz

what made you choose such a name that rolls of the tongue so easily?