18 Korean Tourists Injured In Speed Boat Accident In Pattaya

Lite Beer

ah, so thats what it is.......could have explained it.......I nearly lost a legin Thailand, and I feel very sorry for the Korean that almost lost two, and the korean that did lose one leg......Im a bit passionate when it comes down to accidents in Thailand where the perps just get away....

• Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do Thai drivers usually flee the scene when they are at fault driving boats, airplanes, buses, autos, tuk tuks, trains, scooters, bicycles, elephants, etc.? Amazing Thailand.

That is what their fathers did, what their uncles did, their cousins did, and even their neighbours...

Has just become instinct....

ah, so thats what it is.......could have explained it.......I nearly lost a legin Thailand, and I feel very sorry for the Korean that almost lost two, and the korean that did lose one leg......Im a bit passionate when it comes down to accidents in Thailand where the perps just get away....

They just about always find the driver...

These smart drivers leave the cars behind,(or boat), they leave the car plate on the vehicle, and even a company logo on the vehicle.

Sherlock Holmes would not even be interested...

19 Korean’s and 1 Thai Guide injured as two speedboats collide off Pattaya Island

boat-7.jpg
PATTAYA:--Latest reports suggest 20 Korean Tourists were injured in a speedboat accident off the coast of Larn Island, situated 4kms off the coast of Pattaya, on Sunday afternoon. 6 Koreans sustained serious injuries including a 64 year old man who lost part of his right leg.

The incident occurred at Ta Waen Beach on Larn Island approximately 100 meters off the coast and involved two speedboats, one was moored, awaiting refueling and the other was transporting the Korean tourists from nearby Sark Island to Larn Island after a morning diving trip at the small Island.

The two boats involved are “Go Nong Mai 7” whose captain was named as Khun Runareung aged 27 and “S Khem Tong” captained by Khun Amnat aged 22. Both drivers were able to leave the scene of the crash before authorities arrived and have yet to be located. To further complicate matters there are conflicting stories in relation to the crash itself and investigators are waiting to speak with both Captains.

Details of the 6 seriously injured individuals have been released:
Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/84066/19-koreans-1-thai-guide-injured-speedboats-collide-pattaya-island/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-04-21

Why do Thai drivers usually flee the scene when they are at fault driving boats, airplanes, buses, autos, tuk tuks, trains, scooters, bicycles, elephants, etc.? Amazing Thailand.

I wonder if they really did flee the seen.

A couple of days ago I read a report of a bus crash (or minivan... I can't remeember as there are so many) in which the driver fled the scene.

The following day I read in another newspaper that the rescue team spent 30 minutes trying to free the driver.

Maybe "The driver fled the scene" is a standard text used by all reporters.

No way could two "drivers" of the boats get away without anyone seeing them.

Edited by petedk

I've become accustomed to news such as this... If it isn't a Bus accident its someone drunk in car or motorcycle or as in this case, its yet another speed boat accident... With sympathy for the victims my first thoughts lately when I read news such as this is... "How on earth can this possibly happen?"...

Really - How is it possible for a speed boat to go straight into another boat which wasn't moving ?? !!

Of course - we can all guess the answer, the pilot wasn't watching where he was going or there was some mechanical steering failure...

MMMMM! Probably brake failure. whistling.gif

That ferry is top heavy. On windy days it scares the bjesus out of everyone feelin like it will tip over.....and of course only a few life jackets! Its taboo to complain here, they think you are rude and resist in principle, no matter what the circumstances. Very strange. I was on the upper deck of a bus once, first row seat on an all night trip to bangkok from up north. The entire bus was asleep and the driver started to fall asleep and started swerving off both sides of the road. I went down and banged on the driver/s cabin door and he stopped after a few minutes and walked it off. the train is far safer, I'll never do a late night trip again on a bus!

I wonder if they really did flee the seen.

A couple of days ago I read a report of a bus crash (or minivan... I can't remeember as there are so many) in which the driver fled the scene.

The following day I read in another newspaper that the rescue team spent 30 minutes trying to free the driver.

Maybe "The driver fled the scene" is a standard text used by all reporters.

No way could two "drivers" of the boats get away without anyone seeing them.

Dont worry constable, they will report in tomorrow , when they are sober.

Sad but it happens every year , too many for a start on one speed boat, and bet your life no life jackets, all Speed boat and Jet Ski, are a joke. you probably find that the only boats that are properly Registered and Insured are owned by Ex Pats. .death traps stay clear of these Idiots.

this is how it is coming in to us at the moment.. which doesnt mean it wont change as more details emerge..

Pattaya city Officials have demanded an enquiry into a tourist speedboat accident which left many injured and could have led to fatalities had the tourist boats not been well equipped with lifejackets.

Sunday morning, at a distance of nearly 1 Km from the shoreline of Pattaya’s Koh Larn island, a collision between tourist boats saw one sink and numerous injuries. The boats were travelling between islands as the visitors enjoyed snorkeling around the inlets and all were already wearing lifejackets.

More.. http://www.pattaya103.com/speedboat-disaster-in-pattaya-bay/

The Koreans should have know better. What kind of a boat driver can crash into a parked boat. Drunk on Lao Khao. My symapthies to the injured, I just came from Korea. Typical Thailand.

How do you know he was drunk? And specifically on lao khao? Where was this reported, or are you just another speculator who actually knows nothing of the incident?

Yes, plane pilots are well known to flee the scene after accidents.

Yes, plane pilots are well known to flee the scene after accidents.

It's not like they can or need to wait for police to arrive :)

Flee-for-all, absolutely.

It is also amazing to have a collision with an anchored boat in what was most likely clear skies and relatively calm seas.

Or what was possibly an overcast day and a relatively rough sea just to add to your guess work.

No mention of weather in the reporting, but based on having lived near that stretch of coast for 6 years, I would say odds are very high there were no visibility issues. Someone who was in the region that day could let us know, but it hardly matters.

I wonder if this was the same captain who managed to decapitate one of Poland's leading medical researchers a couple of months ago. I doubt it as all these clueless captains come from the same mould with the same lack of training, certification, common sense, spatial awareness, cognitive development or regard for human life other than their own but they do seem to have impunity from prosecution in spades.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

rbrooks #63

"Why do Thai drivers usually flee the scene when they are at fault driving boats,
airplanes, buses, autos, tuk tuks, trains, scooters, bicycles, elephants, etc.?"

The answer is: for insurance purposes, the drivers are responsible for the accident
and not the owners. In western countries the owners are responsible as far as
insurance is concerned.

the fleeing from accidents is endemic here ...saw a pedestrian killed in bangkok years back ...the driver just bolted ...in western countries u get an added charge for this ...not surprised about the speed boats ...they have conversations to people whilst speeding ....had to scream out to one once ...he almost ran over a swimmer ...he just laughed ...nothing phases a lot of people ...

• Like 1

It is also amazing to have a collision with an anchored boat in what was most likely clear skies and relatively calm seas.

Not necessarily clear vision. This is Pattaya!

Now the Korean who lost his leg will be charged by the "operators" for a damage to the propeller.

• Like 1