Bringing A Filipina Girlfriend To Thailand

Hi,

Is it complicated to bring a Filipina girlfriend to live with me in Thailand? Can she stay for a long period in Thailand? I have heard that people from The Philippines do not need visa. Is it true?

Renoir

The philippines is a member country of ASEAN just like thailand so no visa for them and vice versa for thai ppl wanting to go to the philippines?

What complication would you expect other than language differences? Like they would assume your gf is a local thai and attempt to speak to her in thai in which she wouldn't be able to understand?

I have no idea if you are familiar wit the phrase "it'd be like taking coal to Newcastle" (not the ersatz Ozzie one... the real Geordie one)...... but honestly, my man, it'd be like taking coal to Newcastle tongue.png

The philippines is a member country of ASEAN just like thailand so no visa for them and vice versa for thai ppl wanting to go to the philippines?

What complication would you expect other than language differences? Like they would assume your gf is a local thai and attempt to speak to her in thai in which she wouldn't be able to understand?

Does it mean can she can stay with me in Thailand as long as her passport is valid?

Renoir

ASEAN national can visit ASEAN member countries visa-free for only a limited amount of time. If she flies into Thailand from an the Philippines, she will get 30 days Tourist Visa. When that runs out, she could extend it by doing a border run (to Cambodia, Laos or Malaysia). Could be a female dog having to do that every couple of weeks. Crossing the border on foot and coming back will give her only a 15-day extension on her visa. If she does that regularly, Border police officials may take notice of that and refuse to extend her visa.

Other than leaving the country by air to get another 30 day entry or by land to get 15 days the only other option is to get tourist visas. Or go to school to study Thai or some other course of study.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

It is VERY hard for a Filipina to get on a plane from Aquino even if you have all the right papers !!!!! Really you must learn the tricks.

see PM

That's not really backed up by the fact that there are 10 million overseas Filipino/a workers regularly remitting funds to their families through companies like Michel Houllier,the very rich French/Pinoy shadow banker!

It is VERY hard for a Filipina to get on a plane from Aquino even if you have all the right papers !!!!! Really you must learn the tricks.

see PM

That's not really backed up by the fact that there are 10 million overseas Filipino/a workers regularly remitting funds to their families through companies like Michel Houllier,the very rich French/Pinoy shadow banker!

You have no idea what they go through to get those jobs.

Time and effort, bribes, applications, courses, fees, etc, etc.

No need to comment if you have no idea what you're talking about.

• Like 1

see PM

So difficult that 10 million people have managed it?whistling.gif

see PM

Absolutely... it's amazing the bullsh!t they have go through, dealing with 'agents' to get all the paperwork sorted out. I have a Filipino consultant on my books who always tries to stay busy outside PI and run on the current paperwork. He took an 8 month Sabbatical to enter local politics and was stunned that his extensive prior history of overseas work didn't earn him any favours with the bureaucrats and 'agencies' when he was ready to start jumping on boats again. Cost him a small fortune to be able to work overseas and earn one.

The OP should PM TV member called tropo as his Filipina girlfriend has been here for ages and he will have all the right answers.

see PM

The vast majority of those 10 million did not just turn up at the airport and hop on a plane to a destination of their choosing and start asking around looking for work. It's almost exclusively done through agencies and middlemen/women who know the ropes and provide everything that the Immigration officials require to see before allowing the individual to exit the country. Without the right paperwork they can easily be refused.

At around USD 20bn USD per year, the foreign currency its nationals working overseas remit to their families is a significant part of the Philippines economy. Many Filipinos will happily go to work overseas and remit most of their salaries to provide a better life for their families in the Philippines.

Many countries will happily take Filipinos entering their country legally to fill shortfalls in gaps in domestic labour. All in all, a win-win-win situation.

The problem is that (unfortunately) Filipinos have a pretty terrible track record when it comes to overstaying (or at least they used to have...). Eventually it got to be a bit too much and so one or 2 of the countries that were readily accepting legal Filipino workers said to the Philippines gov't; "Hey, you need to start taking care of this overstay problem otherwise we may have to tighten the regulations regarding Filipinos coming to work in our country, and who knows, we may also stop being quite so generous with the aid we provide..."

Hence the strict exit requirements...

see PM

The vast majority of those 10 million did not just turn up at the airport and hop on a plane to a destination of their choosing and start asking around looking for work. It's almost exclusively done through agencies and middlemen/women who know the ropes and provide everything that the Immigration officials require to see before allowing the individual to exit the country. Without the right paperwork they can easily be refused.

At around USD 20bn USD per year, the foreign currency its nationals working overseas remit to their families is a significant part of the Philippines economy. Many Filipinos will happily go to work overseas and remit most of their salaries to provide a better life for their families in the Philippines.

Many countries will happily take Filipinos entering their country legally to fill shortfalls in gaps in domestic labour. All in all, a win-win-win situation.

The problem is that (unfortunately) Filipinos have a pretty terrible track record when it comes to overstaying (or at least they used to have...). Eventually it got to be a bit too much and so one or 2 of the countries that were readily accepting legal Filipino workers said to the Philippines gov't; "Hey, you need to start taking care of this overstay problem otherwise we may have to tighten the regulations regarding Filipinos coming to work in our country, and who knows, we may also stop being quite so generous with the aid we provide..."

Hence the strict exit requirements...

Exactly,the remittances are a significant percentage of the total GDP of The Philippines.That's why I mentioned Houllier,I used to eat in one of his restaurants,the best pizza in Cebu at Michelangelo's,Banilad and drink in his bar next door afterwards The Taproom.Obviously these are just a plaything of his compared to the cash generated by Pinoys sending money home every week.

The Filipinos are the polar opposite to the Thais in that they all want to leave the Philippines for ever,is it a lot poorer though with one in four people living on USD $1 per day!w00t.gif

I know a few English teachers here and the Thais love them,as they'll work for peanuts compared to Westerners and they are pretty much native speakers even if they do have that wierd accent!

I have no idea if you are familiar wit the phrase "it'd be like taking coal to Newcastle" (not the ersatz Ozzie one... the real Geordie one)...... but honestly, my man, it'd be like taking coal to Newcastle :P

It works the same if you're originally from or familiar with the Illawarra region in Australia ;)

see PM

So difficult that 10 million people have managed it?whistling.gif

Why do you think so many go through all the pain and seek work in other countries?

I'm sure you get it on first try pal.

smile.png

Btw, I have been working with Pinoys and Pinays for 20 years.

1000s of them actually.

So have I. Many in the Middle East. Everything from maids up to medical Doctors. Obtaining all the correct paperwork to be able to leave their country is an arduous task for them. Bureaucratic and like many poor countries with its share of corruption. But many are desperate to find employmemt and a better life and do go through the process. That doesn't mean the process is simple.

However, a single girl, leaving without a job to join a foreign boyfriend in Bangkok. What chance do you think she will be allowed? Pinoy friends tell me many girls get denied as the government are concerned they are/will become prostitutes.

Btw, I have been working with Pinoys and Pinays for 20 years.

1000s of them actually.

So have I. Many in the Middle East. Everything from maids up to medical Doctors. Obtaining all the correct paperwork to be able to leave their country is an arduous task for them. Bureaucratic and like many poor countries with its share of corruption. But many are desperate to find employmemt and a better life and do go through the process. That doesn't mean the process is simple.

However, a single girl, leaving without a job to join a foreign boyfriend in Bangkok. What chance do you think she will be allowed? Pinoy friends tell me many girls get denied as the government are concerned they are/will become prostitutes.

Correct.

Also as previously stated here, unfortunately they have a reputation for overstaying.

Even worse, they are the world champions in "jumping ship".

I like them though, as they are a very nice people to be around.

I live in Thailand with my philipino gf.The first time we tried to leave PI we were stopped and questioned by imigration to the point we nearly missed the flight.We were questioned seperately where did we meet what date etc and eventually they made me sign papers to say i was responsible for her and if i didnt bring her back in 30 days when the return flight was due they would "come for me"we where then allowed to leave.We returned back to PI on the due date after sorting out a place in a language school.Next time we got to the airport we went through no problem now we both live here on ED visas go to school a couple of times a week report at imigration every 90 days pay 1900 b each and thats about it.school fees are 23k baht each per year.To answer the people who say coal to newcastle or like bringing sand to the beach when talking about people who bring their philipino gf to thailand i can tell you in my case it was the fact that in Pi i got bored internet crap couldt wach EPL its more expensive there( electricity more than double here food also more expensive and tasteless poverty all around you 24 hours a day hard to look at people with nothing and nothing to do 24,7 it gets to you ,Philipinas are lovely people as are Thais but you cant pick who yoou fall in love with ,since living here ive met lots of guys with philipino gf or wives Good Luck if you need anymore info PM me thanks...

• Like 1

I live in Thailand with my philipino gf.The first time we tried to leave PI we were stopped and questioned by imigration to the point we nearly missed the flight.We were questioned seperately where did we meet what date etc and eventually they made me sign papers to say i was responsible for her and if i didnt bring her back in 30 days when the return flight was due they would "come for me"we where then allowed to leave.We returned back to PI on the due date after sorting out a place in a language school.Next time we got to the airport we went through no problem now we both live here on ED visas go to school a couple of times a week report at imigration every 90 days pay 1900 b each and thats about it.school fees are 23k baht each per year.To answer the people who say coal to newcastle or like bringing sand to the beach when talking about people who bring their philipino gf to thailand i can tell you in my case it was the fact that in Pi i got bored internet crap couldt wach EPL its more expensive there( electricity more than double here food also more expensive and tasteless poverty all around you 24 hours a day hard to look at people with nothing and nothing to do 24,7 it gets to you ,Philipinas are lovely people as are Thais but you cant pick who yoou fall in love with ,since living here ive met lots of guys with philipino gf or wives Good Luck if you need anymore info PM me thanks...

Maybe it's about time you learnt that a girl is Filipina with an 'A' and a guy Filipino with an 'O' and they're both spelt with an 'F',while the country is spelt Philippines? whistling.gif

Maybe it's about time you learnt that a girl is Filipina with an 'A' and a guy Filipino with an 'O' and they're both spelt with an 'F',while the country is spelt Philippines? whistling.gif

Yeah, because that is the most important with the thread.

tongue.png

Or one can call them Pinoy or Pinay.

Correct?

wink.png

• Like 1

All you need to do is take the cost of an ordinary tourist visa runner and that will be your extra visa cost for the filipina. Or you can marry the filipina and if you're on a retirement extension of stay u can get her a 1 year extension as a dependent. Sounds like you're not in scenario 2 now so take #1

Edited by Nana Cowboy

All you need to do is take the cost of an ordinary tourist visa runner and that will be your extra visa cost for the filipina. Or you can marry the filipina and if you're on a retirement extension of stay u can get her a 1 year extension as a dependent. Sounds like you're not in scenario 2 now so take #1

Well, doing a runner two weeks with Jack golf will cost him b50,400 (over 1800usd). Then you have the money back tonthe family, spending money for her and basic household and holiday expenses.

If she does the runner to Lao, I think he chances for a double are nill, even with blank pp. Jack Golf adverts a runner for a single for b6600 with shared accom at Aran. So that is now "only" b40k a year ☺.

She can diy if you can trust a young, pretty and inexperienced loved one on the Cambodian or Lao border.

If you go with, her biweekly runs would cost 100k.

Would imagine Jack would tell you no promieses on the Visa after you have 4-5 as well. You could be back to 2wk runners and shipping her back home.

Would she stay with you after a year if she had to do biweekly runners or pack it upnand go home?

• 3 months later...