I'm Still Just The Falang

kjelljit

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learn Thai or enjoy being the farang. wink.png

Daft post. coffee1.gif

Is not, because if you learn Thai, you become, you integrate and you are accepted.

You can wear yellow on monday and be truly accepted.

You or me are never accepted, you may think so but........................smile.png

YOU and ME must learn to read between the lines. My Mrs has taught me that, yeh my Mrs. thumbsup.gif

Why do folk call me a ''Brit'' ? I am not a Brit, I am English. BUT, I must accept the term. sad.png

How is it that you're not a Brit, if you're English? So is anyone who is English a Brit? Or only the ones who like the word? I think what you mean is that you prefer the term English. When you say you must accept Brit, is that because it's true? If it's true, it doesn't become false just because you don't like it. Your disdain for the term Brit doesn't magically remove England from Britain. Aussie is not my favourite label, but it would be absurd for me to claim that I'm not Australian, and then assert that I'm Victorian. I've met Scottish people who get fired up, telling me that they're literally not British. Semantics!

What's Thai for "long-nose"?

Thinglish = "rong no"

>Your Thaiglish needs work. "Long Node"

i beg to differ because both my wife and me remember

when a lady, selling sunglasses, told my wife "you my

rong no velly beautifoo!"

that was in Pattaya, october 1979.

Oh! Biewtifoon!

• Like 1

Was waiting for my noodle soup to arrive last night and the young boy asked his mum whether it was for the farang? Funnily enough, my mind wandered back to this topic. Brought a smile to my face. smile.png

My goodness, how disrespectful to you! I hope you poured the hot noodles all over the cheeky boy's mother, for having the gall to spawn a child who displays such flagrant disrespect to people like us as to call them foreigners. May we all be utterly respected wherever we condescend to tread. I myself am considering answering only to MISTER Falang in the future.

Learn Thai or enjoy being the farang.

Daft post.

Is not, because if you learn Thai, you become, you integrate and you are accepted.

You can wear yellow on monday and be truly accepted.

Wear yellow on a Monday!. Moved on from there, last time I ventured out it was a nice shade of pink.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

After a few Thai relationships that didn't go the course he ended up marrying a nice Brit girl. It no longer surprised him but used to sadden him at all the conversations he would overhear about the 'falang' when out and about when they didn't know he understood every word. I guess Thailand is still developing and is a tough and relatively poor country to have to survive in. It's natural that many folk like to look down on other groups to buttress any feelings of inadequacy they may have.

The OP probably needs to a) ascertain is this relationship measuring up , does his GF support and respect him and if so then that needs to be communicated to her parents and relatives. If not learn a lesson, get out and move on.

As an aside the Brit I mentioned above said it was very difficult / impossible to make real friends in Thailand and what utimately peed him off about the culture overall was the pi/nong nature of relationships - one in which most falangs just don't have a place - it's easier for Thai's to put us all in one big box marked 'falang' rather than work out where we are in the scheme of things.

Yes, I agree to all of this, but many foreigners, refuse to see this side of things.

This is exactly the reason we, "the white skinned people" should at least not call ourselves the "f" word.

Well. I'm a foreigner in Thailand why wouldn't I use that word..

Foreigner

????

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Yes, foreigner works fine, I referred to the other word. And I think you know that.

Farang = Foreigner. Foreigner = Farang in LOS. I really don't see a problem. coffee1.gif
. In my experience it has been closer to Nigar

I don't think that's a Thailand specific thing.

Probably more to do with the class/education level of you wife's family (no offense).

Lower level Thai's lack the typical manners that we take for granted.

They are probably not being rude intentionally.

• Like 2

Buy and wear this T-shirt with pride !

-Chan-Rak-Farang-Women-s-T-Shirts.png

... and loose all your friends in no time.

If you're a farang...why in the hell would you wear this t-shirt?

Please enlighten me.

Perhaps only if

a) you are a western/negro girl or

B) you are gay and like big hoss or

c) you are on holidays with your family/girlfriend?

• Like 1

Probably more to do with the class/education level of you wife's family (no offense).

Many years ago, when I first came to Thailand I used to live in the guest house of a Lanna princess in Chiang Mai. One day she had a garden party that she invited the Quee and a couple of ex PM's to. When they talked about me amongst themselves they referred to me as the "farang". When they spoke to me personally they called me by name. That's how it works here. I wouldn't let it bother you.

• Like 2

Just dont change it to Vinnie or you might become the village Weenie Dont feel too bad my inlaws do the same thing with me and they can say my name Im refered to as The Falang ..... make sure the fans on him ...... dont put chilis in the falangs food .... I just laugh and smile ... They dont mean anything by it ....

Edited by metisdead
Font!

whistling.gif Get a grip on YOUR life,

Because what you do is YOUR life, and always has been your life. You live it the way you want to and anything you may give to your family you do because you want to. Just treat others fairly and with respect.

You don't need their respect if they don't want to give it, you are a human being and you take the actions you take because you want to take them.

That's not being selfish or ignoring your family, it's just the realization that you are an individual in your own right, and that ultimately you are solely responsible for your own life.

Show respect for those you love, but don't expect that they will come to you praising your virtues.

Always treat others fairly and with respect, and if they don't do the same to you then it's not your fault, it's their fault.

As long as you know you've treated others fairly and with respect, why should you even give a toss what others say or think about what you do?

Because, when push comes to shove, as long as you can feel confident about your actions and can honestly say that what you did was honest and fair, that's really all you can control yourself. isn't it?

Don't worry so much about what other people think or say about you.

wink.png

• Like 1

whistling.gif Get a grip on YOUR life,

Because what you do is YOUR life, and always has been your life. You live it the way you want to and anything you may give to your family you do because you want to. Just treat others fairly and with respect.

You don't need their respect if they don't want to give it, you are a human being and you take the actions you take because you want to take them.

That's not being selfish or ignoring your family, it's just the realization that you are an individual in your own right, and that ultimately you are solely responsible for your own life.

Show respect for those you love, but don't expect that they will come to you praising your virtues.

Always treat others fairly and with respect, and if they don't do the same to you then it's not your fault, it's their fault.

As long as you know you've treated others fairly and with respect, why should you even give a toss what others say or think about what you do?

Because, when push comes to shove, as long as you can feel confident about your actions and can honestly say that what you did was honest and fair, that's really all you can control yourself. isn't it?

wink.png

I sincerely don't think it's a matter of being disrespected. I think it's more a matter of your perceived identity.

I lived in Costa Rica many years ago and many people were simply identified by their chief characteristic. If you were skinny you were called ".flaco". If you were a chubby girl you were called "gordita". If you were a youing black boy you were "negrito". No offense was meant or taken when these forms of address were used. It was just the custom and I think it's the same here with respect to "falang".

• Like 2

Get a grip on YOUR life,

I sincerely don't think it's a matter of being disrespected. I think it's more a matter of your perceived identity.

I lived in Costa Rica many years ago and many people were simply identified by their chief characteristic. If you were skinny you were called ".flaco". If you were a chubby girl you were called "gordita". If you were a youing black boy you were "negrito". No offense was meant or taken when these forms of address were used. It was just the custom and I think it's the same here with respect to "falang".

Where i am from there are many hispanics; call one of them "negrito" and see what happens:

You will be eating through a tube for the rest of your days:blink:

Nonsense....

Many years ago, when I first came to Thailand I used to live in the guest house of a Lanna princess in Chiang Mai. One day she had a garden party that she invited the Quee and a couple of ex PM's to. When they talked about me amongst themselves they referred to me as the "farang". When they spoke to me personally they called me by name. That's how it works here. I wouldn't let it bother you.

Could you speak Thai then? How do you know they were talking about you?

Keep telling them your name and that its not Farang.I called them Thai,Lao or Khymer,they get it,eventually.I get Lung,and my name every time now,only took 8 years!

Do you mean they can't pronounce your name?

That sounds like BS.

But you could try a test.

Adopt a Thai name like so many immigrants in America do by adopting an Americanized name.

Then announce that is your name in Thailand.

THEN see if they still call you f-rang.

Dollars to donuts, they still will.

Sorry about that!

• Like 1

Why do folk call me a ''Brit'' ? I am not a Brit, I am English. BUT, I must accept the term. sad.png

How is it that you're not a Brit, if you're English? So is anyone who is English a Brit? Or only the ones who like the word? I think what you mean is that you prefer the term English. When you say you must accept Brit, is that because it's true? If it's true, it doesn't become false just because you don't like it. Your disdain for the term Brit doesn't magically remove England from Britain. Aussie is not my favourite label, but it would be absurd for me to claim that I'm not Australian, and then assert that I'm Victorian. I've met Scottish people who get fired up, telling me that they're literally not British. Semantics!

Not really the same as England is a country as apose to a state like Victoria.

Not really the same as England is a country as apose to a state like Victoria.

Sorry Keith, that difference is not enough to explain the discrepancy, because England is not an independent country, but is in a formal union with other, formerly independent countries. For an English or Scottish person to assert that they are not British is as absurd as a Victorian or a Queenslander to claim they are not Australian. In both the UK and Australia, a larger, sovereign state was created through the union of smaller entities: in the case of the UK, the union of several, previously independent countries; in the case of Australia, the federation of colonies into a commonwealth of states. In both cases, being a citizen of any of the smaller jurisdictions, without being a citizen of the larger jurisdiction is legally impossible. It's not a point of personal taste.

Of course it is a point of personal taste, as to what you prefer to be called; ie, which part of your nationhood you most identify with. We know that some people identify more strongly with being English, or Scottish, than British. We've heard so, many times. And it's possible that an Australian citizen could identify more with their own state than with the Commonwealth. But whether I like it or not, my state is part of a larger federation, of which I am automatically a citizen. I can't sensibly claim to not be Australian, just because I prefer to be identified as a Victorian. To enjoy that convenience, we must witness the successful secession of an Australian state.

Hmm, could very well be related to not trying to learn their language, or show the effort. Could also be that you live with her (for 5 years) but never married their daughter?

Falang means foreigner, could be anyone not from Thailand, not just whites smile.png

You could try and be less foreign via language, customs and repect tongue.png

My GF's dad always seems amused when I say something new to him conversationally. He knows I am trying anyways lol. I also never dress like a tourist or fail to wai the elders etc. Little effort goes a long ways.

She also laughs pretty hard when I refer to myself as falang.

Edited by Lizard0

Another vote for the term itself, or other examples where the person's appearance or role is substituted for the name is a normal aspect of Thai language and culture.

Think of how often you hear "pee/nong" or "gae" (the old one) or "dtua lek/yai" used among Thais, same exact thing IMO.

However if it really does bother you, then keep on reminding them of your (bizarre crazy-farang) wish to be called by your proper first name not by any of these (to-you) "objectifiers", and it may well eventually sink in for those who are close to you.

Their obedience to your stated preference may well be a sign of respect, but that doesn't mean their normal use of their language as they naturally use it is a sign of the opposite.

Of course any word can be used in a context and tone of voice, body language etc to show contempt, when my GF is frustrated with me she'll complain using "eee falang" in a half-joking way, and I have enough security, personal self-esteem that I'm aware my knowledge of the language and cultural subtleties is not enough for me to accurately judge how much I should feel insulted so I cut her some slack, give her (and other Thais) the benefit of the doubt.

------------------
We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.
-- Abraham Lincoln[/size]

Get a grip on YOUR life,

Where i am from there are many hispanics; call one of them "negrito" and see what happens:

You will be eating through a tube for the rest of your days:blink:

Nonsense....

So you're not from Costa Rica then? I was referring to how different societies have different customs. Apparently yours does too.

Could you speak Thai then? How do you know they were talking about you?

Not very much then, but if you know the context people are speaking about you glean a lot more. They could all speak English too and they told me they were just discussing me, which I already knew.