I'm Still Just The Falang

kjelljit

I'm still just the Falang

How do I interpret that my girlfriend and her family mentions me as the falang when they're talking about me?

We have been living together for 5 years now and we live just a few blocks away from the rest of the family.

It's difficult to get close with them because they do not speak English and I not Thai.

At least they should have learned my name by now even though we do not directly talk to each other?

Think it's a bit disrespectful, it would be like if I were to mention my girlfriend as the asian when I talk about her with my friends and family.

What do you think about this?

My girlfriend is saying that they can't learn my name.

By the way, my name is Henry.
  • Like 1

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is disrespectful, and you should say something to your g/f.

After 5 years you dont speak any Thai? I have been here about the same amount of time and can at least hold a basic conversation. Try learning the language, if for nothing else but personal growth. If I was back in the USA and had a daughter with a foreign boyfriend who didnt even attempt to speak English I may lose some respect for him as well.

Very good example and fully agree.

• Like 1

Did you say that you've been living here for 5 years and also do not speak Thai? It might be time to start learning (more) Thai. Imagine living in, say, America for 5 years and not being able to speak english. Imagine all the flack you would get from Americans. Just saying.

I like the idea of adopting a Thai nickname though.

Jinx