Warfarin - Bangkok

SkyRider

Any large pharmacy. Local brands are quite inexpensive. For that matter, while it will cost more in a Boots or Watsons, it will still not be very costly.

Be sure to choose a pharmacy with aircon.

If you are on this long term, buying a full bottle may save a bot. Check that the expiration date is sufficient of course.

I'm just coming to the end of a year on Warfarin. Buying it at a public hospital has been inexpensive. The blood test for INR is also cheap, but there is a certain amount of waiting to be done - one moves from one queue to the next, and half a day from IN to OUT is not unusual.

What, exactly, does INR stand for? I understand that it is most probably a measuring of blood viscosity, but the doc's English is about as good as my Thai, so the details get lost somehow.

When one comes off Warfarin, is it wise to continue with the blood checks at less frequent intervals, perhaps?

INR = International Normalized Ratio. It is the ratio of your Prothrombin Time (PT - how long it takes for prothrombin, a particular stage in blot clotting , to form) to a norm. AN INR of 1 would mean that your level was absolutely normal, i.e. no anticoagulent effect. 1.5 would mean a 50% increase, 2 would mean a 100% increase or doubling. In other words, it would mean your clotting was 2X slower than it would likely be without medication.

If anticoagulent therapy is stopped there is no need for further testing unless the last result was alarmingly high.

I am on Warfarin, and went to 6 or 7 places in Bangkok before I found it. There's a pharmacy on Rama IV near Lumpini Park and Chulalongkorn University that has it, and sells it very reasonably. I brought my pills for a short stay in Bangkok but careless left the Warfarin at home. I am not sure if the pharmacy is associated with Chula Hospital, but it's sort of across the street from it.

Funny Thai INR story. When I was first diagnosed with Deep Vein Thrombosis I was put on a twice daily regimen of injectible blood thinner Heparin. The nurses all came in to watch another nurse inject me in the stomach and I guess it was a teaching moment

The ladies all started telling me that I needed an ID card.....somewhat bemused I took out my Thai license and small copy of my passport for them....but they kept saying ID card....eventually an older nurse came in and smiled and told me that they were telling me that I need an I N R giggle.gif

I found a pharmacy,

It's air conditioned.

It's near Big C.

Roongroj Bhaesaj
20-22. Soi On Nut
Shukhumvit Soi 77
Pharkanong Nua
Wattana, BKK,10260
Tel. 02-311-2720
470 baht for 100 3 mg tabs.
550 baht for 100 5 mg tabs.

to give you an idea of how much i pay,orfarin 100tabs x 3mg = 450bht.

inr.blood check 200bht.

INR blood check for 200 baht is a great price. Where is that? In Bangkok?

no its a private lab.in korat.most of these private labs do the blood tests for the hospices.try and find one.even the price of 200bht.i found out when his assistant made a mistake and went to charge me 120bht.so thats[200bht] farang price.he faxes the result to me within the hr.plus the ptr.the time it takes to clot.

• 3 weeks later...