1000Mb Adsl From Ttt?

BuffaloRescue

I expect the 1000Mb is the max speed possible in a theoretical/bursting/laboratory environment and you were the only user on the network. Kinda like how the cell carriers advertise 3G speeds at up to 42Mb. When is the last time any of you got 42Mb speed on your 3G connection even if your phone is 42Mb capable which it probably isn't?

1000 Mbits is just the speed of the fiber.

What you will actually get over that is 30Mbits down and 3 Mbits up.

International will be no different to ADSL etc..

So Not true I used adsl before and now I changed to fiber optic few months ago and believe me the international speed is so much better than your average adsl package at least in my case.

So Not true I used adsl before and now I changed to fiber optic few months ago and believe me the international speed is so much better than your average adsl package at least in my case.

Is that based on speed tests (hopefully with Java-based testers vs easily fooled Flash-based testers like Speedtest.net), torrent downloads, just the feel of the browsing speed, etc?

I expect an ISP's ADSL and fiber connections go through the same international gateway(s) to reach the international servers; it's just the connection between your residence and your local ISP's server/central office that is different and maybe from that local server to the ISP's international gateway (probably located in Bangkok)..but that local connection can many times make a big difference. Plus the User Ratio (number of customers) on the ISP's fiber system may be lower than the ISP's ADSL circuits which would probably speed things up for you. So many variables can cause better or worst internet connections. But one ADSL weakness for good, reliable internet connections in Thailand is the spaghetti of phone/ADSL/copper lines hanging on poles, trees, building, etc.; poorly environmentally protected junction boxes where all these lines meet up; and just all the numerous connection points for a funky/corroded ADSL connection to occur which degrades the speed of the connection....preaching to the choir I know. With that being said, I too would think the fiber plan should give faster and more reliable service simply due to the better local connection.

But the real distinction between fiber and ADSL connections is getting blurred as they are becoming hybrid....mating up. By that I mean the trunk line (i.e,. the main, high capacity line feeding an area/moobaan) may now be fiber leading up to the local electronic junction box and they from that junction box to the residence it's standard copper line. After the late 2011 flood TOT in my moobaan ran fiber phone/internet lines to new electronic junction boxes (placed high on poles) in our moobaan...and then those electronic junction boxes on the poles feed down to the ground level, old style junction boxes which is just a place for a hundreds/thousands of connections...and then from those ground level junction boxes the lines feed up to the poles and on to the homes over the same ol' copper phone/ADSL lines. Probably at that electronic junction the fiber internet and phone protocol/signal is switched/translated to ADSL/phone internet protocol/signal (and vice versa).

The TOT internet plans sold in my moobaan are still ADSL plans with ADSL modems, but that long copper wire connection to the nearby TOT central office has been replaced by high speed fiber and new equipment in the central office. But I'm pretty sure they lost many of their internet customers to the True cable/DOCSIS system which was installed and operational before the 2011 flood....a cable TV/internet system that never went down even with meter deep water in the moobaan for almost a month. Now folks who were still on a TOT internet plan during the flood lost their internet and phone service just as soon as the floodwater rose high enough to flood the ground-level junction boxes which was about day 3 into the flood's arrival into my moobaan.

Yea, the clear distinction between fiber and ADSL can be blurred depending on their possible hybrid infrastructure within a person's area. However, with a DOCSIS/cable system a RF cable trunk line is run around moobaan/up & down the soi's, with RF cable (RG6/11 TV cable) running from an RF tap on the trunk line into your house....no copper phone line anywhere in this type of system at least in the moobaan...but I wouldn't be surprised if that local trunk line is not being fed by a fiber line somewhere outside the moobaan.

for 1,200 Baht a month you get bah.gif

That depends on who you spend it with.

I only pay 700B/month for my Sophon fibre-to-the-home cable package but it is very reliable (as any cable or fibre system should be) and I do get the full 12mbs that my line can support, all the time including to outside of Thailand if the remote server is robust and the international routing not to awful.

(Technically my package is only supposed to be 4mbs but I've been getting three times that for several months. I dont know if this is just luck or maybe they have adjusted all the packages upwards, and I dont intend to ask them about it in case it is a mistake which they might feel obliged to rectify.)

Either way, just because you pay more does not necessarily mean that you get more. It just means that you pay more.

I only pay 700B/month for my Sophon fibre-to-the-home cable package but it is very reliable (as any cable or fibre system should be) and I do get the full 12mbs that my line can support, all the time including to outside of Thailand if the remote server is robust and the international routing not to awful.

(Technically my package is only supposed to be 4mbs but I've been getting three times that for several months. I dont know if this is just luck or maybe they have adjusted all the packages upwards, and I dont intend to ask them about it in case it is a mistake which they might feel obliged to rectify.)

Either way, just because you pay more does not necessarily mean that you get more. It just means that you pay more.

i was referring to the claim "What you will actually get over that is 30Mbits down and 3 Mbits up"

here's my experience:

Naam Posted 2012-09-27 06:29:32

last week Sophon (in collaboration with 3BB) installed fibre optic to my

home. 800m x 60 Baht = 48,000 Baht, some sort of distribution box, a

"media converter" and a special router. total cost 63,500 Baht, contract 20/2mb.

one hour of trying (including some bullsh... with speedtest.net which

showed 20mbit) and the disappointing result of 3mb speed which is half

the speed i am getting with 3BB DSL (1,5xx Baht) and the same speed i am

getting with TOT DSL (590 Baht).

another hour of telephone

yak-yak back and forth without any result but interesting revelations

from their sales office (Pattaya Thai) "20mb not intanashonal, Thailand

onry. you want fast intanashonal pay 16,000 Baht month." i (not so)

politely declined.

then gave the six people a very generous tip

each (they worked hard and did an excellent job) and told them take your

gear please and of course the invoice because i'm not paying.

two days later 2 ladies from the sales office visited me and asked me to

pay the 48,000 for the fibre optic line. i told them "hab sollyness too

mutt, give me the promised 20mb and i will pay."

back to 3BB DSL

which i "upgraded" to nominal 20mb by paying an additional 700 Baht a

month. result = no change. i get rather stable 5-6mb most of the time,

sometimes it drops to 3.5-4mb.

TIT whistling.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/585835-3bb-plans-upgraded/page-3#entry5702722

i get 12mb with "speedtest.net" which caches and fakes. please try an honest speedtest site and report the readings.

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

I thought Speedtest.net was an internet speed enhancement utility...why it can make ping time exceed the speed of light and download speeds from servers on the other side of the earth appear like they are just across the soi. Yea, I'm sure....Speedtest.net is not a speedtester, it's an internet speed enhancement utility....highly recommended by all Thai ISPs.

• Like 2

Is that based on speed tests (hopefully with Java-based testers vs easily fooled Flash-based testers like Speedtest.net), torrent downloads, just the feel of the browsing speed, etc?

I expect an ISP's ADSL and fiber connections go through the same international gateway(s) to reach the international servers; it's just the connection between your residence and your local ISP's server/central office that is different and maybe from that local server to the ISP's international gateway (probably located in Bangkok)..but that local connection can many times make a big difference. Plus the User Ratio (number of customers) on the ISP's fiber system may be lower than the ISP's ADSL circuits which would probably speed things up for you. So many variables can cause better or worst internet connections. But one ADSL weakness for good, reliable internet connections in Thailand is the spaghetti of phone/ADSL/copper lines hanging on poles, trees, building, etc.; poorly environmentally protected junction boxes where all these lines meet up; and just all the numerous connection points for a funky/corroded ADSL connection to occur which degrades the speed of the connection....preaching to the choir I know. With that being said, I too would think the fiber plan should give faster and more reliable service simply due to the better local connection.

But the real distinction between fiber and ADSL connections is getting blurred as they are becoming hybrid....mating up. By that I mean the trunk line (i.e,. the main, high capacity line feeding an area/moobaan) may now be fiber leading up to the local electronic junction box and they from that junction box to the residence it's standard copper line. After the late 2011 flood TOT in my moobaan ran fiber phone/internet lines to new electronic junction boxes (placed high on poles) in our moobaan...and then those electronic junction boxes on the poles feed down to the ground level, old style junction boxes which is just a place for a hundreds/thousands of connections...and then from those ground level junction boxes the lines feed up to the poles and on to the homes over the same ol' copper phone/ADSL lines. Probably at that electronic junction the fiber internet and phone protocol/signal is switched/translated to ADSL/phone internet protocol/signal (and vice versa).

The TOT internet plans sold in my moobaan are still ADSL plans with ADSL modems, but that long copper wire connection to the nearby TOT central office has been replaced by high speed fiber and new equipment in the central office. But I'm pretty sure they lost many of their internet customers to the True cable/DOCSIS system which was installed and operational before the 2011 flood....a cable TV/internet system that never went down even with meter deep water in the moobaan for almost a month. Now folks who were still on a TOT internet plan during the flood lost their internet and phone service just as soon as the floodwater rose high enough to flood the ground-level junction boxes which was about day 3 into the flood's arrival into my moobaan.

Yea, the clear distinction between fiber and ADSL can be blurred depending on their possible hybrid infrastructure within a person's area. However, with a DOCSIS/cable system a RF cable trunk line is run around moobaan/up & down the soi's, with RF cable (RG6/11 TV cable) running from an RF tap on the trunk line into your house....no copper phone line anywhere in this type of system at least in the moobaan...but I wouldn't be surprised if that local trunk line is not being fed by a fiber line somewhere outside the moobaan.

I dont think so . when i was signing up for my fiber optic connection, the manager at the branch told me that i would get better than average international download speed so i am not sure if it goes through the same gateway or what but ftth does have considerably better international speed than most average adsl connection atleast in my case or location which is asok sukhumvit.

1569.png

2671285721.png

2671288899.png

now just to test that if above results are bogus or not, i tried another server in durban africa which has bad internet infrastructure and is far far away from

thailand and got this results

2671304792.png

this shows my speedtests are not bogus.

so clearly not every connection has limited international speed like yours and some connection does have the capacity although i pay 9000 baht a month excluding vat thumbsup.gif

i get 12mb with "speedtest.net" which caches and fakes. please try an honest speedtest site and report the readings.

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

132289824.jpg

here is a test from website you provided

if you're testing ur speed by using speedtest.net you're doing it wrong.

It clearly shows when it comes to basic internet knowledge, you don't know anything

First of all speedtest.net Is very reliable if it is not locally cached.

Secondly my above results are not cached, you can see it by real world ping results.

I dont think so . when i was signing up for my fiber optic connection, the manager at the branch told me that i would get better than average international download speed so i am not sure if it goes through the same gateway or what but ftth does have considerably better international speed than most average adsl connection atleast in my case or location which is asok sukhumvit.

1569.png

2671285721.png

2671288899.png

now just to test that if above results are bogus or not, i tried another server in durban africa which has bad internet infrastructure and is far far away from

thailand and got this results

2671304792.png

this shows my speedtests are not bogus.

so clearly not every connection has limited international speed like yours and some connection does have the capacity although i pay 9000 baht a month excluding vat thumbsup.gif

At 8900 baht (excluding VAT) per month for a 25Mb/3Mb plan (based on one of your other posts) I would sure hope CAT has it setup to give a priority/un-throttled international access. I see that True is now selling fiber plans but I expected they are only available at limited locations...I don't remember seeing any ThaiVisa members talk about these plans yet (probably due to very limited locations or maybe for business) and their associated international speed:

post-55970-0-77126500-1367059117_thumb.j

I sure hope you are truly getting above international speeds. The valid ping times lends support, but as discussed Flash-based speedtesters are more easily fooled/skewed by local caching for download speeds and/or ping times..for Upload speed testing Flash-based testers seem to report accurately. I see both of above tests results used Flashed-based testers, even the DSLReports test. Have you tried the DSLReports Java-based tester? Also, from looking at the Broadband tester located in the UK I can't tell if it's a Flash or Java based tester, but it's interface is similar to Flash based testers. And since local caching can have an effect on Flash-based tester when a test is run to a site which probably don't getting many testing queries....like Timbuctu or some other remote location...the local caching servers may not have any cached files from that location which should allow some accurate results...but tests to a frequently queried testing site like LA, Paris, London, Frankfrut, etc., there are probably going to be plenty of cached files to skew the Flash-based tester.

As mention, I sure hope you are indeed getting high international speeds. If you get a chance can you post some results using Java-based testers like the DLSReports Java-based tester at this Link recommended for Fiber plans and this Java-based Testmy.net at this Link. If you are truly get those high international speeds they should reproduce themselves on Java-based testers also. Thanks.