Bangkok Metropolitan Police Deputy Chief Post Photos Of Drunk Drivers On Facebook

webfact

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody hell - every Songkran all we get is people bitching that there are drunk drivers, nobody does anything, double standards, blah blah blah.... - this guy has at the very least thought of trying something new and something that should, in a nation where face is important, help to dissuade people from drink driving, but that's STILL NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE BUNCH OF WHINGERS on here.

If this move stops even one or two potential accidents and accidents that could cost a life or serious injury, then it has done its job.

You are not going to get a single solution to this, yes educate by all means, but that's a very long term process, and we do need something to happen right now - yes, enforce the regulations - so now he is adding a little more disincentive to being caught - public loss of face.

Good - at least he is trying...more than can be said of many.

I think an alternative move that stops substantially more than 1 or 2 potential accidents might be better. After the event posting isn't it. They could prevent many times that number by hanging around outside large venues and stopping people leaving them, for example. People are whingeing because they think the police could do better.

They have taken the issue of drunk more seriously...because...they are putting the pics of drunk drivers on facebook?

This is wrong on so many levels...boy...where do I start.

a) if they take the issue more seriously, start with educating people on the dangers of drunk driving. Go to the schools and show children what happens, when you drink ...and drive! Make questions about responsible driving, part of a REAL drivers- license test.

b ) really enforce the law on drunk driving. Punish people severely if they are caught. And punish the BiB taking bribe money instead of issuing penalties.

c) so....suddenly it is okay to "name and shame"???

d) since when did FACEBOOK become part of the Thai- justice system?

...I could continue, but I feel so...tired....bah.gif

Name and shame is a stable in Thailand. Does victims pointing at their victimizers photos in the press and on TV ring a bell?! ;-)

I wonder how posting pictures of alleged drunk drivers by a government organisation (i.e. the RTPF) may conflict with the defamation law? Assuming DUI (driving under influence) will result in a charge to be ruled on by a judge, posting the picture AFTER found guilty shouldn't be a problem.

I agree. In other more democratized societies, particularly the US, you could happily live out the rest of your life on the settlement that you would receive from the civil action that this would give rise to.

how can you see the difference between a drunk-driver and a not drunk thai-driver?

You can't !

Both are driving like lunatics.

They stop in the middel of 3 lanes,do u-turns starting on the left of 2 lanes,take priority of the "left",.......

if you stop driving defensively you will kill at least 10 thais a day ,and your in your right each time !

It's scaring to drive here, i need at least 10 beers to be courages enough to drive ! LOL !beatdeadhorse.gifburp.gif

• Like 1

What about the data safety ! It definitively no one in Thailand !

But I find it good as it done in Europe for the hooligans, pined on the police page to invite people to denunciation.

Maybe it would be less reckless drivers on the roads in Europe if people know they risk to have their face shown to everybody !

Edited by Westaurel

They have taken the issue of drunk more seriously...because...they are putting the pics of drunk drivers on facebook?

a) if they take the issue more seriously, start with educating people on the dangers of drunk driving. Go to the schools and show children what happens, when you drink ...and drive! Make questions about responsible driving, part of a REAL drivers- license test.

b ) really enforce the law on drunk driving. Punish people severely if they are caught. And punish the BiB taking bribe money instead of issuing penalties.

Name and shame is a stable in Thailand. Does victims pointing at their victimizers photos in the press and on TV ring a bell?! ;-)

Does this include sons of rich kids driving ferraris under the influence of drink and coke at 5.30 am down sukhumvit at 200 kmh? I bloody well hope not, or Thailand's justice sysetm will be turned on its head

Putting photos of drunk drivers on FB is definitely and absolutely right, and is a step in the right direction.

When drink driving first became an Actual Issue in Australia ..Around Late 70 s , Public opinion was generally in favor of the Drunk driver .

Now in 2013 , its far different but all this took a long long time ..In Thai , its like Australia in the 70s , but with vastly more cars and much higher population , naturally the end result is horrendous .

Posting the Photos on Face Book ?? Cant see the point , and if my mind goes back to Aus in the 80s , I know many who would have worn the photo on FB ( had it existed ) as some form of Badge of Honour .

To Change attitudes will take a long time , it needs much Education ..and maybe in 20 or so years you may see some Action , unfortunately many will have already been killed by this point . And Some ..well , they just never learn .

I know an Individual in Australia with 6 Prior convictions ..One more ( With no one injured ) he's 6 Months on a prison Farm ..he still takes his chances , every single Monday night ...

We are a long long long way off any form of change in Attitude here in Thailand .

• Like 1

Bloody hell - every Songkran all we get is people bitching that there are drunk drivers, nobody does anything, double standards, blah blah blah.... - this guy has at the very least thought of trying something new and something that should, in a nation where face is important, help to dissuade people from drink driving, but that's STILL NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE BUNCH OF WHINGERS on here.

If this move stops even one or two potential accidents and accidents that could cost a life or serious injury, then it has done its job.

You are not going to get a single solution to this, yes educate by all means, but that's a very long term process, and we do need something to happen right now - yes, enforce the regulations - so now he is adding a little more disincentive to being caught - public loss of face.

Post of the year...

WHINGERS ! Think perhaps you should take a moment out to self reflect. This topic happens to be on Drunk Driving however, anyone with a modecum of knowledge is aware that the RTP is highly disfunctional and extremely corrupt.

This official is a Depty Chief, Major General and one would assume that a certain level of intellegence, intelect and common sense would be required for this post and the best he can come up with is taking pictures of those who have failed a breathalyzer test (know to be highly dubious) which is only indicative and not definitive. Alcohol levels can only be quantatively determined by urine or blood analysis.. The whole article is a crock of shit and meaningless at best and yet you feel that this action from such a senior officer is comendable. As I said earlier, you really need to self reflect

• Like 1

I'm not sure whether face book ethic's committee would like this, I noticed comments into this drunk driving problem , I would like to get a little more serious, so that they get the message , 1st offence vehicle confiscated also for 6 months, 2nd offence 12mths, 3rd forever and given to a charity if it is 1 to 5 years old and in good condition, hit em where it hurts.bah.gif

Probably would not work here as most cars are financed, the way Thais work is if they don't have the car they don't pay for it, the finance company after about 4-5mths of non payment come to take the car away but it's not there, they then file a report and walk away and virtually nothing is done about it, in the village over the last 9yrs at least 7 as i know of have sold their pick up's with no book and just not paid the finance for it.

What drugs are you on?

P1$$1ng from a bridge into a river and laughing about it, is doing something, too...I guess!

There is a REAL problem here and this needs REAL solutions!

Not one guy going rouge and posting random pictures on Facebook!

On what base is he doing this?

Is there a law, that allows this?

No!

Are there many laws that regulate drunk driving?

I guess so!

Are they enforced?

No way!

And please: facebook?

seriously?

Can you please tell us how you are sure that it is against the law - I suppose wanted posters are as well?

I am not sure...but I assume it is.

So let me get this straight...

Some of you are okay with this?

So...just imagine for one moment,it is the old country, you had a weak moment...had one or two to many and got in the car.

An officer stops you, you have your license taken away...you are in high- up position in your company...your boss sees you picture on facebook and tells you, you just lost your job, because your company can not afford to have someone "like you" in a position like this...

Yeah...putting people on Facebook...great idea!

• Like 2

Wanna send a message? Start with the Red Bull Brat!!!

They have already, he's going to court.

Wanna send a message? Start with the Red Bull Brat!!!

They have already, he's going to court.

is he driving there?