Anybody Else Sick From Songkran?

bonzersmom

Went to see MD today where I was told I have pneumonia probably courtesy of the dousing I took during Songkran with moat water. He mentioned a type of typhus that can cause pneumonia. I have noticed a lot of drippy noses, coughing in restaurants lately.

Not to mention Wial's disease

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/oct/26/weils-disease-andy-holmes

And several types of parasites that eat their way into your inner organs (flatworms, liver flukes).

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/150224-bilharzia-water-born-disease-in-thailand/

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I had the weirdest squirts ever, it was like passing pure water in vast quantities, unbelievable. The Doctor was a bit amazed too. Imodium wasn't working at all so it was anti-biotics and electrolyte drinks. Worked perfect.

Sound's like Cholera!

• Like 2

Very bad dose of Pink eye (Dta Daeng in Thai) dont know why we call it pink eye and they call it Red eye, either way I have both viral and Bacterial Red eye and so far have had ir for 9 days. Just starting to show signs of improvement after several sleepless nights and four visits to the hospital!

This as a result of being thrown bodily into a pond at my local bar!

Edited by midasthailand
  • Like 1

As you take your antibiotics and sit on the loo with the squits I m sure it was all worth while!!

Hell yes.

BTW I am more careful on the first days of the festival. By the last day it doesn't really matter anymore if I catch anything.

Overall the moat water is quite clean (clean enough for me, not for my kids) as it's treated with chlorine and other chemicals. It's not as good as tap water of course, that is also used a bit away from teh moat. Worst just by appearance and smell are some bars (that shall remain nameless) that pump water out of dirty wells behind the premises. I avoid those, especially on the first days. And then generally there are some best practises of course, like keeping your mouth shut, and protecting your drink from flying water. A sippy cup that opens and closes easily with a built in straw is worth its wait in gold over Songkran.

Result: didn't get sick, even though I was out playing every day. (Still got muscle strains, and sunburns (again the last day: didn't use sunscreen :) ) but that just can't be helped.) Easy to get scratches from falls too but I'm very careful about that; running around isn't a good idea.

I gave up playing Songran on the moat a couple of years ago after getting a face full of the swamp water directly in my face, vomiting and the sh#ts for 2 days.

Find its better to go out in the real Thai communities that don't have idiots purposely aiming for your eyes and ears with a high powered squirt gun!

• Like 1

Both me and the girlfriend have caught Dengue Fever. Knew nothing of it until Friday when it hit us both like a sack of bricks. Pretty immobile all weekend and had a couple of trips to the hospital for blood tests. It looks like we're over the worst of it but are still very fatigued and I'm left with blotchy skin neck to toes. Amazing we both caught exactly the same illness actually. Symptoms showed within a few hours of each other. We must have been bitten my the same rogue mosquito.

Both me and the girlfriend have caught Dengue Fever. Knew nothing of it until Friday when it hit us both like a sack of bricks. Pretty immobile all weekend and had a couple of trips to the hospital for blood tests. It looks like we're over the worst of it but are still very fatigued and I'm left with blotchy skin neck to toes. Amazing we both caught exactly the same illness actually. Symptoms showed within a few hours of each other. We must have been bitten my the same rogue mosquito.

Sorry to hear that and hope you both get well soon. It is possible to get Dengue other times of the year than during Songkran, however.

I had the weirdest squirts ever, it was like passing pure water in vast quantities, unbelievable. The Doctor was a bit amazed too. Imodium wasn't working at all so it was anti-biotics and electrolyte drinks. Worked perfect.

Sound's like Cholera!

I think you've nailed it, the symptoms were exactly the same as cholera.

<deleted>.

Sorry to hear that and hope you both get well soon. It is possible to get Dengue other times of the year than during Songkran, however.

+1 My lady landed in intensive care with dengue November 2010.

Touch wood we're coming to the end of it. But yeah - some people seem to get it a whole lot worse. I think we were just unlucky during Songkran but I'm sure the water everywhere provides a happy mozzie breeding ground.

• Like 1

Very bad dose of Pink eye (Dta Daeng in Thai) dont know why we call it pink eye and they call it Red eye, either way I have both viral and Bacterial Red eye and so far have had ir for 9 days. Just starting to show signs of improvement after several sleepless nights and four visits to the hospital!

This as a result of being thrown bodily into a pond at my local bar!

I really don't think that is a songkran event.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Touch wood we're coming to the end of it. But yeah - some people seem to get it a whole lot worse. I think we were just unlucky during Songkran but I'm sure the water everywhere provides a happy mozzie breeding ground.

How long is it between the bite and the onset of the disease.

Same with me. Definitely was squits attributable to the 16 hour Songkran session on the Saturday. Lasted about 3 days. Used that white milky stuff in a bottle to get over it. Doctors give out antibiotics like candy at Christmas. Your body will probably have got over it without them anyway unless you had other underlying problems at the same time.

Not sure if the cause was dodgy water or dodgy beer, for much was consumed from different places.

Edited by 15Peter20

Same with me. Definitely was squits attributable to the 16 hour Songkran session on the Saturday. Lasted about 3 days. Used that white milky stuff in a bottle to get over it. Doctors give out antibiotics like candy at Christmas. Your body will probably have got over it without them anyway unless you had other underlying problems at the same time.

Not sure if the cause was dodgy water or dodgy beer, for much was consumed from different places.

I went for about three days trying to self medicate with Imodium, it was in my mind to give it one more night before calling on the Doctor but rob8891 sent a Doctor to me who was a bit shocked at what I reported.

I only vomited once, though I had stomach cramps a couple of times. I can see why Cholera was mentioned, a quick google search shows it is prevalent in some parts of Northern Thailand. It makes you think.

I gave up playing Songran on the moat a couple of years ago after getting a face full of the swamp water directly in my face, vomiting and the sh#ts for 2 days.

Find its better to go out in the real Thai communities that don't have idiots purposely aiming for your eyes and ears with a high powered squirt gun!

That's me finished with the moat too. Next year it will in the Thai communities or not at all.

• Like 1

Sounds like cholera. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholera/DS00579/DSECTION=causes Fortunately cholera responds well to modern antibiotics.