Warning Acid Used On Farang During Songkran

Phronesis

Last year my girl and I rode my motorcycle throughout the streets of Phuket Town during Songkran.

There was the usual water drenching and powder smearing all harmless and in good fun...but any farang that has done this already knows that he will be targeted for ice water or other "special" treatment because he is a foreigner...no problem...you get a bit of extra smearing and drenching but all in good fun...especially when there is a little boy or girl and their Thai father says "get the Farang"...but they start to cry because they are too scared to approach you...cute.

Anyway...last year we made our way south through old Phuket town and down to the massive crowd gathering at Sapphan Hin. It was extremely crowded and we inched along amidst the many other vehicles and masses of people. At the southern most part of the loop road we were mobbed by a group of about 10 Thai lads. They tipped food colouring, water and flour over us and one lad tipped something out of a plastic detergent bottle onto the top of my head. In that brief moment I thought it little odd but I assumed what he had tipped on me was detergent.

The lads then ran off into the mob and we continued on a few meters to make the right turn in the loop to head north again. I then started to get a burning sensation on my head and then in a matter of seconds my whole head, shoulders and head was on fire. My eyes began burning and I had to get off the motorbike and I started screaming at my girl that someone had put acid on me.

LUCKILY...on the road not far from me was a water truck with a fire hose that was spraying the crowd. I barged though the crowd up to the guy with the hose and plunged my head into the water stream. The guy with the hose didn't know what to think...why would someone want to stick their head in the stream from a fire hose...but my girl explained to him that someone had thrown acid on me.

I then stood there and they guy hosed me thoroughly from head to toe for five minutes or so. I then walked over to the grassy verge and collapsed on the grass. At this stage my vision had started to blur and my head and shoulders were still on fire.

I walked back over to the guy with the fire hose and my girl asked him to drench me again. I cupped water into my eyes.

I was not improving and was starting to shake from shock. We got back on my motorbike and tried to ride back to our apartment but the traffic of course was a nightmare. When we finally got back I ran straight for the bathroom and in the mirror could see that the skin on my forehead and parts of my neck and shoulders had blistered. I jumped in the shower and soaped and shampooed my entire body for a half hour or so and let the cool water rinse my eyes.

I then passed out on my bed partly from exhaustion and partly from shock. The next morning my sight had returned to normal but large patches of my skin were blistered and in the following days peeled off.

TO THE MODS: This is not a troll post. This is a true and factual account. Please do not delete it. It is provided as a safety warning to other TV members.

If you are approached by anyone during songkran with something in a bottle, do not let them tip it on you. And make sure you keep you wits about you as despite the thousand of harmless party goers around you there are also some sick b#stards.

I was VERY LUCKY last year because there was a water truck and fire hose a few meters away from where the acid was put on me. If I was unable to have that immediate drenching I could well have lost my eyesight.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...

Sounds horrific!

The question does raise itself however; were you in any way a 'target' for these lads? A jealous ex-boyfriend of your GF maybe?

Reading this, it does sound like they targeted you out specifically.

Did you go to the police? If not, why not? Is there more to the tale than you are reporting here?

if it is true OP why wasn't it reported more, iced water is one thing but acid!!!!!!, it's scare mungary of the highest order, i would have thought the police would have closed the whole place down and someone would have reacted with the acid in a adverse way, acid is a instant disfiguration to the top layer of the skin, then each layer in turn, i pray this story is not true wai2.gif

<p>Er, no, the Thai police wouldn't act like that.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've thought about this happening every time I am "enjoying" songkran and Im not surprised at all that it has. Glad to hear you escaped without permanent injury.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thaivisa detectives: Of course it could be one of any number of chemicals, please don't get hung up on whether or not it was really acid. The point is some sociopath poured a harmful chemical on his head. That is the point. It could happen to you.</p>

Edited by OxfordWill

As a related side note, immediate treatment for acid burns, or other chemical burns like caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) would be to apply a liberal and continuous water stream or soaking for several minutes to dilute it and rinse it away. The OP did the right thing in that regard.

Also, any blistering or exposed open flesh or tissue should be well cleaned and checked to prevent infection. Scary and dangerous stuff.

As a related side note, immediate treatment for acid burns, or other chemical burns like caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) would be to apply a liberal and continuous water stream or soaking for several minutes to dilute it and rinse it away. The OP did the right thing in that regard.

Also, any blistering or exposed open flesh or tissue should be well cleaned and checked to prevent infection. Scary and dangerous stuff.

I guess the OP did the right thing by using lot's of water to soak the solution away.

I'm just thinking that the solution could have been strong base(*), same as NaOH? So in cases when not sure what the solution is, it's better to just use water and then seek for medical help.

(*) Is Base correct word for liquids with ph > 7 ?

I have heard of urine being used during Songkran, but not acid. If true, that's a very low and cowardly act. Even the young backpackers think it's funny to p*ss in their water gun and squirt it on everyone. There is a potential to contract disease from an infected persons urine.

Anyway, maybe the below photos is what is needed when celebrating Songkran. :)

http://www.google.co.th/search?q=hazmat+suit&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=gIleUfOQOoudiAeG_YDICQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEEQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=656

I guess the OP did the right thing by using lot's of water to soak the solution away.

I'm just thinking that the solution could have been strong base(*), same as NaOH? So in cases when not sure what the solution is, it's better to just use water and then seek for medical help.

(*) Maybe "alkali" or "alkaline liquid", e.g. sodium hydroxide.

Edit: I never go to Saphan Hin any more - too many Thai yobs.

Edited by JetsetBkk

As I understand it yes. With a pH of 7 being neutral then < 7 would be acidic, >7 would be base (or a basic) solution. I ain't no scientist, but I worked with lots of hazardous materials back in my farangland life, and had some basic training in handling them.

But as many know, pH is not the sole determiner of hazardous solutions. The common example is Coca Cola which has a pH of 2 (or thereabouts) but is not hazardous (though some might argue that). whistling.gif Other citrus drinks like OJ or lemonade would also have a low pH from the citric acid in them, as would vinegars (acetic acid). And then there's vitamin C (ascorbic acid).

And at the other end, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is an alkali, and used to remedy or neutralize heartburn (acid stomach). But then, you wouldn't want to counteract an attack from sulfuric acid on your skin by pouring caustic soda on your skin to neutralize it!

• Like 1

As I understand it yes. With a pH of 7 being neutral then < 7 would be acidic, >7 would be base (or a basic) solution. I ain't no scientist, but I worked with lots of hazardous materials back in my farangland life, and had some basic training in handling them.

But as many know, pH is not the sole determiner of hazardous solutions. The common example is Coca Cola which has a pH of 2 (or thereabouts) but is not hazardous (though some might argue that). whistling.gif Other citrus drinks like OJ or lemonade would also have a low pH from the citric acid in them, as would vinegars (acetic acid). And then there's vitamin C (ascorbic acid).

And at the other end, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is an alkali, and used to remedy or neutralize heartburn (acid stomach). But then, you wouldn't want to counteract an attack from sulfuric acid on your skin by pouring caustic soda on your skin to neutralize it!

Baking soda in water is always fun to clean your car battery terminals with. smile.png

I made this post as a heads up to advise all readers that songkran is not just sh#ts and giggles.

Drunk drivers are not the only serious risk.

To the posters who suggested there was something more to my story.... <removed>

I arrived (totally randomly) on my own motorbike in a crowd of thousands of people... Anyone who has been to the park at Sapphan Hin at songkran knows that it is nothing short of a giant mosh pit.

At that time I was new to Phuket...did not own a business, or bar, or deal in property was not a butterfly, and lived in a serviced apartment...

I was targeted by the youths for NO OTHER REASON than that I was a farang. I didn't know them from a bar of soap and they didn't know me.

Even the motorbike I was riding at the time was less than noteworthy...just an old blue Honda wave.

The lad (and his accomplices) that performed the assault had it well premeditated...(viz...chemical in a detergent bottle).

Maybe they planned on getting one of their Thai enemies at the party (then settled on me) or maybe they just wanted to get a Farang...who knows.

As far as the water flushing goes I know the drill regarding a chemical or hazardous substances accident...I have worked in heavy industry my whole life...It was just good luck that the fire truck guy was immediately near by spraying the crowd.

To the idiot that suggested I was on drugs... <removed>. Those that know me know that I do not drink, smoke or use drugs. Back home I also worked for decades in youth charities and rehabilitation programs.

To those of you who want to speculate on what the chemical was...I don't know. I am well aware of the smell of common acids however this stuff had a "sweet" smell to it....but perhaps it was in fact mixed in with some of the detergent in the bottle...I don't know.

I have personally witnesses some acid and some caustic burns in the workplace over the years and mine was an acid burn. It would have been very severe if I did not get to the fire hose immediately. Perhaps I would also of had partial or total loss of vision.

And finally...No...I didn't go to the police. What for?

Anyway...YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...

Edited by LivinginKata
inflammatory remarks removed
  • Like 1

@Phronesis

I think there was only some who doubted your OP as the way it was written. Don't worry about that. It's great that you share your experiences and people on this forum will get the message to be aware what could happen.

Threads on this and on any other forum tend to go of-topic after an while. We all pick up the most interesting part, to us, of the story and start to talk about that part. Leave the parts which are self explanatory, for us again.

That's normal behavior and does not mean that the OP would be any less important. It's also studied that people make better memories if there is some positive things along with the message. This is how our brains work. (Giving constructive feedback: first positive, then the constructive, and then positive again, found on every people management guidebook).

Obviously there are few morons and trolls anywhere (or the sense of humor just does not match between people). Those comments can be ignored. Other readers also do the same and do not think that the original post value was degraded (unless they are morons as well).

At least I know that I will be more aware of weird sensations when riding my Honda wave during Songkran. (We also leave pointers for others to pickup and develope the discussion forward). This is thanks to you.

The master of doom and gloom, yeeeeeeeeesh.

Probably just some of the cooling powder got mixed in the water, and the guy claims he's near blinding. Crikey, did you phone mommy?

This is the epitome of when my grandfather told me, "don't believe everything you read".

I go to Saphan Hin with my young daughter and wife and have never had any problems whatsoever. In fact I sometimes feel like I don't get my 'fair share' of water directed my way because most of the kids have an innate respect for a 50-year-old farang.

That said, very sorry to hear about your experience, OP.

OP, you state that this attack wasn't to do with jealous boyfriends etc., but you're are certain it was premeditated attack within a crowd of thousands.

Do you bear scars of permanent disfigurement? If it was a strong acid you would have obvious scars whether you were quickly hosed down or not.

You further state that this was an attack simply because you were farang. How can you be certain?

OP, you state that this attack wasn't to do with jealous boyfriends etc., but you're are certain it was premeditated attack within a crowd of thousands.

Do you bear scars of permanent disfigurement? If it was a strong acid you would have obvious scars whether you were quickly hosed down or not.

You further state that this was an attack simply because you were farang. How can you be certain?

The OP has nothing to back up his story.

Also, prefers to continue to post negativity throughout the board.

Wooloomooloo and DLock, best move on, major troll in da house.

• Like 1

(*) Maybe "alkali" or "alkaline liquid", e.g. sodium hydroxide.

Edit: I never go to Saphan Hin any more - too many Thai yobs.

Baking soda is the antidote to acid, and many stores and restaurants would have it around.

Songkran is spent holed up on the homestead- too aggressive for me, almost got knocked off a scooter from water off a truck once.

It's barbaric.

The OP has nothing to back up his story.

Also, prefers to continue to post negativity throughout the board.

Wooloomooloo and DLock, best move on, major troll in da house.

Agree...never happened.