Nearly 200 T B Cases Found In 800 Bangkok Nightspots

webfact

Perhaps the government might fund an immunisation-program for school-children, instead of handing-out quite so many free notebook-computers, I recall (hated the 'jab' !) getting my own immunisation while at school, it used to be routine in the UK !

Or would this not be such a good vote-winner ?

Have they stopped doing it? I remember when I was about 13 or 14 getting the TB and German Measles jab (I think only the girls got the latter) and one student didn't have it because parents wouldn't sign the form for some reason, possibly religion but I don't remember. She was the only one in our year, and by the reaction of teachers possibly the first one they'd come across.

This stuff is vital though, I'd be very disappointed if the government have stopped doing vaccinations as a matter of course. Yes, there are very few cases in UK, but that's probably because we all got vaccinated at school!

highly-resistant TB is prevalent in Russian prisons. Strains are developing there which are resistant to all counter-measures. NYC and other places, same same. There are hired people whose sole job is to go around to street people and make sure they're taking their full complement of antibiotics (many don't). I would be ok with screening of all int'l arrivals at Thai airports. It wouldn't need more than one infected person showing up, with a mega-resistant strain of TB, and then..........

Resistant strains tend to develop when patients fail to complete(non-compliance) the full course of treatment. It would seem compliance is a huge problem in Thailand. Recirculating air at indoor venues would also spread Tb, not to mention cigarette smoke that is known to lower the respiratory tracts ability to fight disease/infection.

Exaggerated headline, 186 is not 'nearly 200', and the intro is gibberish .... 186 cases in 800 bars - that's about one-quarter of an infection in each bar. Story's not worth reading.

Sorry, I don't get your point (but I am short on coffee today). So you calculate an average of about 'one-quarter infection per bar' and conclude the 'story's not worth reading'? You expected the result to be a whole number otherwise it's meaningless to you? Roughly one infection on average per four bars is not worthy of concern?

TB is a serious disease and easily spread. In the US they will track down every person flying on a plane if they later find that one person had TB. TB is an air borne disease, so just talking to someone or being in the same bar could infect you. They breath out the virus and you breath it in. You don't even have to be close by, which is why planes are a bad place to have a passenger with the disease as the air they breathe out gets circulated throughout the plane. On a 747 some 300 or more people could get infected.

>Per Wikipedia - In 2007, there were an estimated 13.7 million chronic active cases globally,[4] while in 2010, there were an estimated 8.8 million new cases and 1.5 million associated deaths, mostly occurring in developing countries.

yes same as In Australia, it is taken very seriously indeed. Without seeming to be racist perhaps the influx of Indians might have something to do with the issue. I say this because TB has a high profile in Australia and usually associated with a person from India, be it a student or tourist (mostly students..maybe the close proximity over time).

Perhaps the government might fund an immunisation-program for school-children, instead of handing-out quite so many free notebook-computers, I recall (hated the 'jab' !) getting my own immunisation while at school, it used to be routine in the UK !

I've still got the scar!!! The jab was given a week after the scratch thing on the forearm as I recall which would indicate whether the jab was required or not.

Sadly a lot of people forget that a lot of diseases "disappeared" due to immunisation. A lot of people have got on to the trendy "no immunisation" bandwagon for a variety or reasons, mostly due to ignorance of what the old style common diseases really caused. Think measles (blindness) mumps, chickenpox,smallpox (those scars are really something), poliomyelitis etc.

Interesting to see only last night on the telly that there is an uproar in Wales over a measles outbreak and a many people now lining up with their kids to receive the triple antigen.

TB used to be a killer at one time before immunisation. Let us not forget that, and not forget that the majority of the worlds polualtion has not been immunised.

There is a TB immunization program in Thailand it is funded in large part by foreign donors. Unfortunately;

1. Thailand is a major reservoir of the disease. The influx of refugees doesn't help matters.

2. The vaccine is only 70-75% in children and less effective in adults.

3. The vaccine is only good for about 15 years.

BTW you can tell who has been vaccinated by checking for the scar tissue on the arm. It's a biggie.