Thai International Driving License

".I do have a 5 year Thai motorbike,and car ,driving license.I live in Holland for about 8 months per year and Thailand for the remaining 4 months.I also have a Dutch (car) driving license but no motorbike license,thought i might be able to drive in Holland with Thai international"

Having an IDL from Thailand may or may not be required but it is not really the crucial issue.

Three possibilities:

- as a primarily Netherlands resident, you may be required to have a local motorcycle license, or

- you may only be allowed to use the Thai license for a period or 30 or 60 or 90 days, or

- you may be able to use the Thai license indefinitely.

Surely there is a Dutch website which will provide the answer.

Thanks for your reply.

I did contact the Dutch driving license authorities.

Their answer was that a Thai driving license is valid for a period of 6 months then it must be exchanged for a Dutch license.No info on International licenses

Thanks for your reply.

Their answer was that a Thai driving license is valid for a period of 6 months then it must be exchanged for a Dutch license.No info on International licenses

Well you have your answer anyway even if you had an IDP based on your Thai DL, you can still only drive for 6 months in Holland, having an IDP will not extend this period, Thailand is no different, you can only drive on a foreign license or foreign license + IDP for a period of 3 months, before requiring a Thai DL

Several good takeaways from this thread:

- An IDP is not a driver's license. It is a covering document which some countries require in addition to some government-issued licenses (generally those without key data in English).

- With or without an IDP, nearly all countries have a time limit for the use of foreign licenses.

And, the bigger issue is not so much avoiding getting fined for driving without a license. It's that whatever insurance you have will not pay out.

I know a Brit in TH who cannot get a TH license because he is severely color blind so he bought an IDL from a website in Phuket. I think he's foolish.

Several good takeaways from this thread:

- An IDP is not a driver's license. It is a covering document which some countries require in addition to some government-issued licenses (generally those without key data in English).

- With or without an IDP, nearly all countries have a time limit for the use of foreign licenses.

And, the bigger issue is not so much avoiding getting fined for driving without a license. It's that whatever insurance you have will not pay out.

I know a Brit in TH who cannot get a TH license because he is severely color blind so he bought an IDL from a website in Phuket. I think he's foolish.

He will be feeling a lot more than foolish if he hits some kid on a bike who is the offspring of someone with influence,

• 3 months later...

travelman

Never carry my passport when moving around the local environment.

Was asked once for my passport at a Police checkpoint.

My wife explained we kept our passports at home in the safe.

Police checked my Thai driving licence and were happy !

• Like 1

This quest to respond to every post by 7by7 in a bitter and aggressive fashion is becoming, quite frankly, embarrassing and awkward.

Not at all,

The man perpetuates this myth about no such thing as IDP's.

I'm happy to post some pictures of my trip to Dalian in China if that satisfies you.

(I carry a copy of my licence in Mandarin)

If you disagree with what I posted above please explain how it was inaccurate?

It is impossible to rent a car in Singapore without an IDP and your home license. They also often asking for evidence of driving history

You need both together.

And for what it is worth some rental outlets refuse drivers who are not used to right hand drive vehicles. Over 65 drivers is another issue.

Now please explain what I have written is either incorrect or having a go at someone?

Edited by Jay Sata

Mr Sata, where have I perpetuated any myth that there is no such thing as IDPs?

I have said no such thing.

What I did say is that in many countries they are not required; including Thailand and the UK.

That is true.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

For many countries a Thai drivers license will be accepted because it is written in Thai and English.

A IDP would not required in all now in many countries.

Not accepted in Bali ....by the car hire company yes , but not by the law enforcers !

• 4 months later...

Actually not all offices issue IDP's anyway, for example on the Pattaya forum everyone bleats on about Pattaya issuing them...they dont... they send the paperwork to BKK to be issued and the IDP's is sent back to Pattaya.

Further a 1 year Thai DL...is a provisional/temporary license...it says so on the license, have looking on the motoring forum this has been discussed at length.

question: what's the validity of a Thai IDP? congruent with the validity of the normal Thai license?

An IDP is simply an identity document which translates the holders actual driving licence details in to various languages.

It is not valid unless accompanied by the actual licence itself.

It's period of validity depends upon which convention it was issued under.

International Driving Permit

According to the 1949 Convention on Road Traffic, an IDP remains valid for one year from the date of issue. However, according to the Vienna Convention, an IDP remains valid for no more than three years from the date of issue, or until the expiration date of national driving permit, whichever is earlier.

Actually not all offices issue IDP's anyway, for example on the Pattaya forum everyone bleats on about Pattaya issuing them...they dont... they send the paperwork to BKK to be issued and the IDP's is sent back to Pattaya.

Further a 1 year Thai DL...is a provisional/temporary license...it says so on the license, have looking on the motoring forum this has been discussed at length.

question: what's the validity of a Thai IDP? congruent with the validity of the normal Thai license?

Thai IDP validity 1 year and obviously full Thai DL = 5 years

Yes 7b7 when I arrived into Glasgow, I pre-booked my car, my wife's thai lic was accepted. No need for the ID.

What we were discussing if you can get an IDC in bkk for overseas

On the question of being issued an IDP based on a 1 year Thai DL, granted not a goverment source, but the pertinent points are

Type 1 - Temporary Private Car: This licence is issued to those who have successfully completed the driving test. This licence is valid for a period of one year. Licence holders are not permitted to drive outside the country.

On any condition, temporary driving licence is not valid outside the Kingdom of Thailand and International Driving Permit is not issued to Temporary driver's licence holder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Thailand

Therefore the 1 year year variety is classed as a temporary license and you cannot drive outside Thailand on it..ergo..they will not issue you an IDP based on a 1 year Thai DL

I've driven on a 1-year license in Laos and the police accepted it just fine...IMHO nobody in those sorts of countries care or know the rules - in northern Laos they have to deal with Chinese licenses they can't read so they generally just move those drivers on, after they're stopped or if they do extract a fine it's got nothing to do with their licenses, but with other issues such as speeding. The reason for showing the Thai license is that the police should be able to read it...most educated and literate Lao can read Thai since the two scripts are fairly similar and most advanced learning takes place using Thai textbooks.

However, not many countries will accept a Thai license as a stand alone document, or prefer one over a western one hence just about everywhere else I'd use my Australian license with better results.

In another similar topic I mentioned how Thai licenses are not even accepted at all, whether in possession of an IDP or not (such as Vietnam) or as stand alone documents (such as Cambodia). Even though the Thai Department of Land Transport may claim otherwise, Thai licenses are not valid in these two countries whether you have a 1-year one or a 5-year one.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Does anyone have any recent experience with getting an IDP at the Chatuchak Land and Transport office?

I've done it three times in the last 5 years, and recall having to show my work permit for at least one of those applications.

I still have a non B visa and a 5 year Thai driving license, but no more WP, so it would be helpful to know, before making the trip there.

Of course I suppose I could try calling...

In lieu of a WP you will need a Certificate of Residence obtained from Immigration. This verifies that you have a long-stay visa or extension and are therefore entitled to a 5 year license. Or, that you have something less and are entitled to only a 1 year license.

I need to know about this, too, so I googled: "Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence" & found

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

which leads me through a few questions & tells me that, UK resident or not, I can drive/ride on my foreign licences [car & bike] for 12 months from entry.

Someone mentioned the unlikelihood of an insurance pay out. Any Ins-experts reading? My untutored guess is that one would need carefully to check & confirm this in UK & get it in writing.

• 1 year later...

I need to know about this, too, so I googled: "Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence" & found

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

which leads me through a few questions & tells me that, UK resident or not, I can drive/ride on my foreign licences [car & bike] for 12 months from entry.

Someone mentioned the unlikelihood of an insurance pay out. Any Ins-experts reading? My untutored guess is that one would need carefully to check & confirm this in UK & get it in writing.

Heading to UK in two months time and have a rented car booked. I don't have the form here at the moment but will copy and post soon where it states on the lines of ' an international licence ( sic ) is required if the renters licence is not in English '

You need 5 years Thai driving licence, a 1 year permission to stay, address confirmation, your passport + copies of all and a photo. Cost was 505THB or similar. It is only issued in the provincial head office, not in their branches. Done twice, a straight forward process.

Edited by georgy

In addition :

If you plan to drive in your own country with a Thai IDP, check your local laws before ;

Some country won't accept it if you used to have a license from your country and which was cancelled for whatever reason.

It's a bit "tricky", someone who never had a license can drive with an IDP, but if you had one which has been cancelled, you can't, not fair but it's a way for them to avoid "cheaters" who would try to come back with a crappy IDP.

• 2 months later...

Scam :)

Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

https://www.angloinfo.com/thailand/how-to/thailand-transport-driving-licences

Thanks for your reply.

FYI The Dutch do not have an agreement with Thailand so you can not just exchange your Thai licenses for a Dutch one. You need to take the Dutch exams to get it.

Belgium does have an agreement and there you can exchange your Thai license for a Belgium one , catch is you have to be a resident of Belgium.

• 1 year later...
On 10/8/2013 at 4:49 PM, mancub said:

Not accepted in Bali ....by the car hire company yes , but not by the law enforcers !

Really?? Even now in 2017 that Thai Licence should be valid in all ASEAN countries? Could you please advise me on the topic above?

On 2/23/2016 at 7:16 AM, georgy said:

You need 5 years Thai driving licence, a 1 year permission to stay, address confirmation, your passport + copies of all and a photo. Cost was 505THB or similar. It is only issued in the provincial head office, not in their branches. Done twice, a straight forward process.

You serious, 1 year permission to stay needed for IDP? I have a 5 year Thai DL and I've been living in BKK on TR visas and exempt stamps for a few years now. So means that I can have a 5 year licence but not a simple IDP slip hmm weird. I'm just going to Bali and renting a car there. I've understood that I do not need an IDP there now though, Thai DL should do.

• 2 years later...