Voting In Thailand

wozza

Voting location is determined by where you are officially registered as residing according to your "Tabien Baan" (Home Register)... so if you are from upcountry and still recorded as residing there, you will need to return to your hometown to make your vote.

Not fined monetarily- but will lose her voting status and be ineligible to vote in any future elections.

That's hot news - at least to me. Since few thais bother to update their tabien baan when they move to a new place - except if they own that new place - I could imagine the voting pct. generally would be quite low... Anyone out there familiar with the voting statistics?

You lose only your rights to sign partitions and run for office type things if you fail to vote. Not a big deal for anyone but politicians.

You vote where you are listed on the home register. But they normally have alternate voting days where anyone in the Province can vote early to avoid having everyone have to travel on the same day. In this proposed ad hoc election, if really held, do not believe any such arrangements have been made.

Is the tabien baan the smae thing as the Blue Book? If so, thats what you need in order to vote. wherever that says youre living, thats where you must vote. I never heard of any sanctions if you dont vote: this isnt some banana republic like Belgium or Australia!

There are penalties for not voting... they are minor though ... you cannot sign a petition of recall ... and you cannot run for office in the next elections (the next elections ... not all future elections)... there are 2 other penalties just as minor ... cannot remember what they are now

Edited by jdinasia

I really think they should have combined it with Songkrahn, I mean everybody goes home that period of time....

J

I agree Jumbo. As I've said in another topic, the exodus of folk from Morchit etc. to the upcountry areas for Songkhran is almost biblical.