Tourist Police

Dogs

Oh woops, that was the old location.

Okay. Seen from the old location on your right and the river on your left. Go straight, on and on, passing a couple of intersections, until you almost hit the superhighway. Just before on your left, it is. smile.png

It's even written on the map already, just before the superhighway.

Edited by Nienke

Out of curiosity, does anyone here know of an event where the tourist police provided significant help or assistance of any kind?

(Foreign volunteers excepted of course; they were awesome.)

Yes I have always been curious about what they do. I know of one office in the Night Bazaar but all it does is sit there.

I recall on a thread back awhile ago where they were talking about it but no one had any thing good to say about it. A friend of mine a real grouch used to threaten management that if they didn't do some thing he would get them. He scared management with that kind of a threat.

He ultimately called them over a personal matter and they responded one offered to protect him for a payment and another gave him the means to get a hold of his brother in law a lawyer.

Out of curiosity, does anyone here know of an event where the tourist police provided significant help or assistance of any kind?

(Foreign volunteers excepted of course; they were awesome.)

Yes, when I have had customers who've had a bike accident involving a local and a car, we've called the TP a couple of times to mediate. Normally the customer has to pay a reasonable, rather than exhorbitant fee to the owner of the damaged vehicle.

Cheers,

Pikey.

• Like 1

Yes, I've known situations where they've been called to help the management of condo buildings with foreign residents who are habitually drunk, disorderly, or have medical problems and really should be in hospital.

• Like 1

Yes, I've known situations where they've been called to help the management of condo buildings with foreign residents who are habitually drunk, disorderly, or have medical problems and really should be in hospital.

So they are policing the foreigners.

Phone 1155, some speak English. whistling.gif

Had the opportunity to call them twice in situations requiring medical assistance of a tourist. First time... no answer. Second time... They only spoke Thai, but a Thai speaker was not able to convince them to come. Luckily I had the phone number for Maharaj hospital and both times they arrived within 15 minutes with three capable people. I would really like to know what the Tourist Police do. They certainly don't help tourists from my experience.

Tourist police are out there to catch farang I think. whistling.gif

Oddly no, but yes. Buses from Lao are sometimes ''looked at'' where I am. I am a TPV up in the boonies and the TP are very helpful with farangs in our area.

And nooooooooooo, I don't walk the streets, I am on the end of a phone. smile.png

Oddly no, but yes. Buses from Lao are sometimes ''looked at'' where I am. I am a TPV up in the boonies and the TP are very helpful with farangs in our area.

And nooooooooooo, I don't walk the streets, I am on the end of a phone. smile.png

But you do still get the uniform I would hope, right? :P

But you do still get the uniform I would hope, right? tongue.png

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. A Fred Perry yes. giggle.gif

• Like 1

Not sure I understand here can you expand on this line?

"Buses from Lao are sometimes ''looked at'' where I am"

What about buses of Chinese there has been a lot of them around.

Not sure I understand here can you expand on this line?

"Buses from Lao are sometimes ''looked at'' where I am"

What about buses of Chinese there has been a lot of them around.

Cannot post pics here, BUT, TP do at times check out buses and trains, sooooooooooo, not purely farang. smile.png

Had the opportunity to call them twice in situations requiring medical assistance of a tourist. First time... no answer. Second time... They only spoke Thai, but a Thai speaker was not able to convince them to come. Luckily I had the phone number for Maharaj hospital and both times they arrived within 15 minutes with three capable people. I would really like to know what the Tourist Police do. They certainly don't help tourists from my experience.

The tourist police are not the people to call for a medical emergency. If the person is capable, then usually a tuk-tuk is the best way to get someone to a hospital. Most rescue vehicles aren't ambulances in the western sense of the word and besides the traffic doesn't move out of the way for them. Remember tuk-tuks can squeeze into small spaces and are quick. That's why a tuk-tuk to the closest good hospital is often the best way.

If the person can't be transported via tuk-tuk, then a call to one of the major hospitals, like Rajavej or CM Ram (whichever is closest) is the place to go.

I'm sorry -- but expecting the tourist police to respond would only slow down the process. What can they do besides make a few phone calls and hold someone's hand?

• Like 1

The tourist police are not the people to call for a medical emergency. If the person is capable, then usually a tuk-tuk is the best way to get someone to a hospital. Most rescue vehicles aren't ambulances in the western sense of the word and besides the traffic doesn't move out of the way for them. Remember tuk-tuks can squeeze into small spaces and are quick. That's why a tuk-tuk to the closest good hospital is often the best way.

If the person can't be transported via tuk-tuk, then a call to one of the major hospitals, like Rajavej or CM Ram (whichever is closest) is the place to go.

I'm sorry -- but expecting the tourist police to respond would only slow down the process. What can they do besides make a few phone calls and hold someone's hand?

Very good general advice. Briefly, Chiang Mai Ram Hospital ambulances are pretty well equipped for early intervention for cardiac problems, but they have to get to you first! I suggest that the best trauma center at night is Maharaj but the other majors are basically fine for general stabilization. If you have a cardiac or stroke problem, get the tuk tuk or whatever you can get to the closest MAJOR hospital, if you can. Time counts! Community hospitals outside the city have limited services.

Then, use some common sense by putting hospital emergency numbers in your mobile phone directory! Let them know you are on the way!!!