Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

he isn't 'blaming' the media for gerrard's injury, james. he's just, correctly, pointing out that he maybe knows more about football than they do.

Hold on a sec. What Rafa is saying is that the injury he got last night was in part due to fatigue - which vindicates his previous decision to bring Gerrard off early, and demonstrates that he knows more about his players than the media and the fans do.

So if he knew so much about Gerrard's state and the high risk there was of him picking up an injury, why did he play him last night at all?

Rafa seems to be rapidly developing something of an "all the world is against me" complex.

Liverpool Football Club today confirmed Steven Gerrard suffered a tear to his left hamstring during Wednesday night's FA Cup defeat at Everton.

Gerrard limped out of the action just sixteen minutes into the fourth round replay at Goodison and now faces three weeks on the sidelines.

A club spokesman told Liverpoolfc.tv: "A scan today has confirmed a tear in the hamstring of Steven's left leg. He will be out of action for about three weeks."

Hold on a sec. What Rafa is saying is that the injury he got last night was in part due to fatigue - which vindicates his previous decision to bring Gerrard off early, and demonstrates that he knows more about his players than the media and the fans do.

So if he knew so much about Gerrard's state and the high risk there was of him picking up an injury, why did he play him last night at all?

Rafa seems to be rapidly developing something of an "all the world is against me" complex.

because he's our best player and you take gambles on your best players. the gamble clearly backfired.

and i'm not really surprised given that the man has been fighting a running battle with his own club's owners and CEO for two years now. i think he's going to walk in the summer.

Liverpool Football Club today confirmed Steven Gerrard suffered a tear to his left hamstring during Wednesday night's FA Cup defeat at Everton.

Gerrard limped out of the action just sixteen minutes into the fourth round replay at Goodison and now faces three weeks on the sidelines.

A club spokesman told Liverpoolfc.tv: "A scan today has confirmed a tear in the hamstring of Steven's left leg. He will be out of action for about three weeks."

hmm. i'm not sure about this. he'll obviously miss pompey but i think he might be back for the city game having missed the utterly pointless england friendly.

hmm. i'm not sure about this. he'll obviously miss pompey but i think he might be back for the city game having missed the utterly pointless england friendly.

I hope so, as that would be great and we need him for the Real Madrid tie...

I don't totally disagree, however, if he had left him on instead of taking him off perhaps this game would not have been neccessary. Who knows for sure.

The guy needs a course in media training though.

you're way off here james, he took gerrard off against wigan in the league. wouldn't have affected the cup match against everton at all.

your right there stevie, guess i don't follow LP games as much as you think I do :o

because he's our best player and you take gambles on your best players. the gamble clearly backfired.

I'm confused? Which is it then? You take gambles on your best players or you don't? Cos in the Wigan game he was taken off to not take any gambles. Rafa wants to take the credit for doing that against pretty much everyones wishes, because we all can now see the effects that fatigue supposedly has had on him.

OK then, but if Rafa wants to take the credit for that, he also has to take responsibility for playing him against Everton and him picking up the injury. All i've heard from Rafa though is "i told you so" and "this was inevitable" type nonsense. If he knew he should have had the balls to leave him out and save him for the Premiership games. As it is, he'll now be out for a few weeks at what is a critical point in the season. Come the Man U game in March and the title could be out of reach. That decision therefore, to play Gerrard when Rafa would have us believe he knew an injury was just round the corner, could have cost you both the FA Cup and the Premiership. Doesn't sound like good management to me. Still, you know best. Long may he continue i say! :o

I'm confused? Which is it then? You take gambles on your best players or you don't? Cos in the Wigan game he was taken off to not take any gambles. Rafa wants to take the credit for doing that against pretty much everyones wishes, because we all can now see the effects that fatigue supposedly has had on him.

OK then, but if Rafa wants to take the credit for that, he also has to take responsibility for playing him against Everton and him picking up the injury. All i've heard from Rafa though is "i told you so" and "this was inevitable" type nonsense. If he knew he should have had the balls to leave him out and save him for the Premiership games. As it is, he'll now be out for a few weeks at what is a critical point in the season. Come the Man U game in March and the title could be out of reach. That decision therefore, to play Gerrard when Rafa would have us believe he knew an injury was just round the corner, could have cost you both the FA Cup and the Premiership. Doesn't sound like good management to me. Still, you know best. Long may he continue i say! :o

he can't win. he leaves gerrard out against everton and we lose, he gets criticised for disrespecting the fa cup and for not playing his strongest team. he picks gerrard when he's probably in need of a rest, he gets injured, we lose anyway. fact is our squad is just not really big enough or good enough to compete on multiple fronts.

you're easily confused it seems.

OK then, but if Rafa wants to take the credit for that, he also has to take responsibility for playing him against Everton and him picking up the injury. All i've heard from Rafa though is "i told you so" and "this was inevitable" type nonsense. If he knew he should have had the balls to leave him out and save him for the Premiership games. As it is, he'll now be out for a few weeks at what is a critical point in the season. Come the Man U game in March and the title could be out of reach. That decision therefore, to play Gerrard when Rafa would have us believe he knew an injury was just round the corner, could have cost you both the FA Cup and the Premiership. Doesn't sound like good management to me. Still, you know best. Long may he continue i say! :D

he can't win. he leaves gerrard out against everton and we lose, he gets criticised for disrespecting the fa cup and for not playing his strongest team. he picks gerrard when he's probably in need of a rest, he gets injured, we lose anyway. fact is our squad is just not really big enough or good enough to compete on multiple fronts.

I hardly think he tore his hammie because he was tired. Wayne R wasn't tired and did his, same goes with Torres on previous occaisions.

Anyways, look at it this way, should he need to perform community service because of his night-time activities, he will be restricted to light duty I would guess - unless of course the judge is an Everton fan. :o

As you are easily pleased.

If your squad isn't big enough or good enough whose fault would that be? Oh that's right - you blame everything on the owners don't you?

Anyway, you summed it up best with your first sentence. :o

Now here we have a game which is exactly the type of game in which Keane would have played. It's the last I'll mention of it, but I think it was a huge mistake to not get any other forward while letting him go. Perhaps the owners could have come for their little chat a bit before two days before the transfer deadline.

Gerrard's out for three weeks, which is horrible timing considering how well he's been playing. At least he may only miss two matches. I'd say Real Madrid is the target match for his comeback.

I thought I read that Alonso is banned for next match along with Lucas. True? So, who do we play, then? Let me hazard a guess:

Reina

Arbeloa Carra Skrtel Aurelio

Yossi Masch Plessis Riera

Kuyt Torres

If Alonso really is out for yellow card accumulation, that's about the best side we could field. Not exactly thrilling me. Portsmouth is not an easy trip.

i don't actually know if alonso's out, jim. not sure if he misses this one or the city match, but lucas is definitely out. i wouldn't play plessis though, he's not up to snuff. i'd stick agger in centre mid before playing plessis again.

maybe its a smoke sreen,maybe gerrard is n't injured at all,but its to get him out of the england friendly game

Now here we have a game which is exactly the type of game in which Keane would have played. It's the last I'll mention of it, but I think it was a huge mistake to not get any other forward while letting him go. Perhaps the owners could have come for their little chat a bit before two days before the transfer deadline.

Gerrard's out for three weeks, which is horrible timing considering how well he's been playing. At least he may only miss two matches. I'd say Real Madrid is the target match for his comeback.

I thought I read that Alonso is banned for next match along with Lucas. True? So, who do we play, then? Let me hazard a guess:

Reina

Arbeloa Carra Skrtel Aurelio

Yossi Masch Plessis Riera

Kuyt Torres

If Alonso really is out for yellow card accumulation, that's about the best side we could field. Not exactly thrilling me. Portsmouth is not an easy trip.

The one thing in your favour is Pompey looks like the worst team in the league at the moment...I could get past their defenders.

Okay, of course Lucas gets the next match to rest his big, bumbling feet. Looks like Alonso will be suspended for Man City. Not sure why he serves it then rather than the next match? Are clubs allowed to stagger their suspensions?

suspended players

"Lucas Pezzini-leiva 04/02/2009 -- 07/02/2009"

Players awaiting suspension

"Xabier Alonso-olano 08/02/2009 -- 22/02/2009"

Okay, of course Lucas gets the next match to rest his big, bumbling feet. Looks like Alonso will be suspended for Man City. Not sure why he serves it then rather than the next match? Are clubs allowed to stagger their suspensions?

suspended players

"Lucas Pezzini-leiva 04/02/2009 -- 07/02/2009"

Players awaiting suspension

"Xabier Alonso-olano 08/02/2009 -- 22/02/2009"

i think it's that a red card kicks in immediately while an accumulation of five yellows the ban starts the match after next. not sure why, just the rules.

Well Liverpool back at the top of the league, for now. I never expected 5 goals in this one maybe a draw or a late goal but not 5!

Great to see the desire to win from the players and the manager especially the second half , that's what you call a smash and grab...phew

Another awesome header from that boy Torres amazing how a world class players can change a game and a result!

Benitez looking like a genius after this one. Torres and Alonso got rest and Torres comes up with the winner. On lfc.tv, I voted Yossi Man of the Match, and it looks like he'll take the fan vote. What a crazy, frenetic game. Benitez shocks everyone and comes up with a very South American lineup, and it made for an extremely entertaining match. Can't say we should stick to that formation, but it's the result that counts on this day. I have to blame Reina somewhat for the second goal, but the defenders just got beat on the first. Again, I just had a feeling once that second goal went in that Torres would pop up with the winner. Nice to have a player like that on your side, and nice to see Kuyt finally score again. I take everything bad I said about you, Dirk, but I'll go on to saying it again if you don't score for the next few months. Oh, and thank you David James for not saving those last two goals.

Couldn't be happier about the fight shown today. Oh, and a nice Robbie Keane impression by Ryan Babel.

:o:D

Edited by Jimjim

Benitez looking like a genius after this one.

LOL. You think?! So coming within a hair's breath of losing was all part of a masterplan?!

Anyway, credit where credit's due. Torres is class - what he can do is what separates good players from greats. He can make a goal from nothing. Whilst other players need a few open shots on goal (and even then still sometimes miss!), he scores when nothing looked to be on. In fact in this game, Kuyt did exactly the same, but the difference is, he might do that once every ten games if lucky. Torres can do it every time he steps on the pitch. I just hope he stays fit for you.

Benitez looking like a genius after this one. Torres and Alonso got rest and Torres comes up with the winner. On lfc.tv, I voted Yossi Man of the Match, and it looks like he'll take the fan vote. What a crazy, frenetic game. Benitez shocks everyone and comes up with a very South American lineup, and it made for an extremely entertaining match. Can't say we should stick to that formation, but it's the result that counts on this day. I have to blame Reina somewhat for the second goal, but the defenders just got beat on the first. Again, I just had a feeling once that second goal went in that Torres would pop up with the winner. Nice to have a player like that on your side, and nice to see Kuyt finally score again. I take everything bad I said about you, Dirk, but I'll go on to saying it again if you don't score for the next few months. Oh, and thank you David James for not saving those last two goals.

Couldn't be happier about the fight shown today. Oh, and a nice Robbie Keane impression by Ryan Babel.

hehehe. fuc_king fantastic that was.

Now that's what i call cutting it fine... :D

Huge Result for both ends of the Table & it must have completely knocked the life out of Pompey..

I can gurantee you you will have 35,000 screaming at that Team in Claret & Blue today to beat that other Mob too... :o

tony adams is so far out of his depth that the fish have got lights on their noses.

Well he was five minutes away from beating Liverpool, so not sure how out of depth that makes him?

There's no doubting though that Portsmouth are in trouble.

I like a lot of lads was surprised at the lineup Raffa chose,however we got the cash?? but a draw looked likely,not good for this heart of mine though.But good to see arse an all drop a few points again.

i think you can take something off the glams today m. and would be delighted if you do.

portsmouth are in serious danger of the drop, tony adams is so far out of his depth that the fish have got lights on their noses.

Ha Ha very good Stevie.