Bringing Electrical Goods To Samui

Hello. We are a family relocating in the summer ( with good luck and a following wind ) and I'm trying to find out the cost/ways of importing electrical goods such as tvs/ computers.

I've been trying to find official information on this and my head is spinning! I know there is an importation tax on personal goods, but can't find the figures. We are intending to ship 10 (ish) boxes of personal goods, but no large appliances or furniture. I have read somewhere that the tax on computers /tvs is really high but can't find out how much. We have a few computers between us and do not really want to part with them, but obviously if the tax is more than they are worth.....

Would really like to hear your experiences of this and any advice on shipping etc would be appreciated.

• Like 1

When I moved to Samui (some years ago) there was no tax on personal items (ie second hand electrical/clothes etc). whistling.gif

There were some hoops to jump through on the paperwork side, and it is not uncommon for a request to donate to the 'customs widow and orphans fund'. whistling.gif

Your shipper should be abe to sort it all out for you.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Does the OP know you need electric supply to get the best out of these goods?

I endured another 8 hour power cut the day before yesterday. It was great...So warm and relaxingsick.gif

Bit of a shame when you need a 120000 baht generator to get some use out of an 800 kettlelaugh.png

• Like 1

We are in the process of doing the same, out freight arrives in Bangkok in a couple of weeks. As far as I am aware, and like another poster said, there is no tax on personal items. My advice is to use a reputable shipper so you have a reputable agent in Bangkok to clear it for you and do the paperwork. and be realistic about the price you put for things on the insurance list (if you do one). If we have any problems I'll let you know!

My 2 cents wort, I could be wrong. The only way you can bring in goods ( personal ) was when you had a retirement visa, you had a 6 months window to bring them in or unless you are Thai returning after being away X amount of time.

Now for retirees they stopped that around 2005/2006.

Please check with your import agent, might be no tax, but something to do with tea might raise it's head.biggrin.png

• Like 1

My 2 cents wort, I could be wrong. The only way you can bring in goods ( personal ) was when you had a retirement visa, you had a 6 months window to bring them in or unless you are Thai returning after being away X amount of time.

Now for retirees they stopped that around 2005/2006.

Please check with your import agent, might be no tax, but something to do with tea might raise it's head.biggrin.png

You are spot on about the 6 months and the tea (or widows and orphans fund?)

My stuff came in on the back of a one year, non imm O visa, but as I said, it was all some time ago. Well before 2005 so I am sure that things have changed a number of times.

Battybird's advice regarding the use of a reputable shipper is good advice.

I think that the replies from Rooo and T/Evo are right on.

Get a good importer and expect to make a donation somewhere along the line.

If you manage to bring in all your electrical goods OK, you should really consider purchasing

good surge protectors to cover the electrical current fluctuations which are a constant nightmare here.

• Like 1

If you manage to bring in all your electrical goods OK, you should really consider purchasing

good surge protectors to cover the electrical current fluctuations which are a constant nightmare here.

Thats a very good point. Whilst i'm on wgere can you get a surge protector from?

Thats a very good point. Whilst i'm on wgere can you get a surge protector from?

Go talk to the guys a Supot Electric, between Bophut and Maenam.... on left side. You may need to talk the owner or manager in the office, rather than front end staff.... Both speak good English. thumbsup.gif

(Cement statues in front of store., It either says Panasonic or Philips on roof sign, having a senior moment on that! tongue.png )