Failures Of Logic Or Meaning In Comments About Being In Thailand

lookingeast

one, two and four, yes

but not three.

Third world is a cold war term to describe countries neither allied, or enemies of NATO.

NATO allies being first world, Communist Bloc allies being second world.

Switzerland and Austria are officially third world countries.

Correct, but the term "third world" is used by many as if to say the people of Thailand are less fortunate than the people of western society, this i'm affriad is completely wrong in my opinion, Thais are brought up with stronger family ties and religious beliefs than most westerners and tend to live everyday life by these rules, most Thais are held back through the need to leave school and work at a very early age to help the family not because education doesn't exist, Thais tend to stay closer to family in villages as oppose to travelling away to earn the extra cash available in other areas or countries.

Another thing to think about for the people who have taken wives and g/f to their home country and then come back to Thailand to live, while your wife/gf was in your country consider how many times she called home to her family or was homesick and then think how long you have been here and how many times you call your family or been homesick.

To Thais family and religion is everything or at least until the farang introduces the financial improvement to their life, then the financial improvement in their and their families life is everything, with a little throw in for Budha too.

Thailand should not be judged a third world country based on poverty, as the OP said look at the property and vehicles being bought in thailand, more new cars sold last year than in many European countries, the shopping malls being built in nearly every city, all the food chains and fashion chains moving into the new built malls, this isn't because Thailand citizens have got no money it is because Thai people now want the better things.

I would originally have agreed with the first "third world" definition - it is well documented and beyond dispute...... but language usage changes and it would seem that now it is used and understood by many - rightly or wrongly - as a synonym for "under-deveoped" or "developing" countries. This however would seem to be a far more subjective usage than the original clear cut version.

then one has to decide if Thailand fits in to any of these descriptions.........with difficulty, i'd suggest.

Edited by wilcopops

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bit at the end of number 4 about there being NO Logical requirement that a girl that says she badly needs cash (and will have to leave if you cannot or will not give it) - can not be genuinely in love with you couldn't be more true.

I know because I'm dealing with exactly that predicament.

She is asking for 1 million Baht sin sot and all I can realistically offer is 300,000 baht.

The bit at the end of number 4 about there being NO Logical requirement that a girl that says she badly needs cash (and will have to leave if you cannot or will not give it) - can not be genuinely in love with you couldn't be more true.

She is asking for 1 million Baht sin sot and all I can realistically offer is 300,000 baht.

Do yourself a favour and dump her.

That is exactly what I needed to hear. I will dump her and realize that it is in my best interest and go on happily with my life.

Take a 50km trip down to Nongbualumphu and see their Hospital, it's worlds apart.

A and E are very proffesional but the wards are understaffed, filthy with a serious lack of care, beds practically next to each other. People with TB etc with the families doing the caring not the nurses. I spent 600 baht for a VIP room where a nurse checked every half hour, and got treatment like in a private hospital, amazing what a few baht get you.

I live 50km the opposite direction towards Nong Han, that was the hos[ital she went to first, there they couldn't slop the bleeding and as you say although clean and proffesional not enough funding, although i did lose my templer in Nong Han when 1 of the nurses who had already spoken to me in English said to her friend in Thai while they were cleaning my wifes wounds, "why did they have to come at this time, we just paid for the expensive som tam and now it will be ruined" i shouted at her in Thai " because it's what you get f**king paid for", or there abouts, with a look of shock she cleaned her up and never said another word.

Please be aware it is not the quality of the room or furniture that kills or cures you, it is the quality of the staff......and their training.

Did you read the bit that said filthy, beds pracitically together and family looking after the patients?. I have been inside three hospitals in Thailand and tne other two were actualy very professional with plenty of staff, clean etc etc.

You are perfectly correct that the quaity of the staff that cures you, but with a lack of staff and some of these super bugs doing the rounds this paticular hospital needs a overhall.

It's lucky one of the princesses has moved to Nongbualamphu and the change in the town in the last 6 months you would not believe.

Hopefully the hospital next if not already.

That is exactly what I needed to hear. I will dump her and realize that it is in my best interest and go on happily with my life.

next

Take a 50km trip down to Nongbualumphu and see their Hospital, it's worlds apart.

A and E are very proffesional but the wards are understaffed, filthy with a serious lack of care, beds practically next to each other. People with TB etc with the families doing the caring not the nurses. I spent 600 baht for a VIP room where a nurse checked every half hour, and got treatment like in a private hospital, amazing what a few baht get you.

I live 50km the opposite direction towards Nong Han, that was the hos[ital she went to first, there they couldn't slop the bleeding and as you say although clean and proffesional not enough funding, although i did lose my templer in Nong Han when 1 of the nurses who had already spoken to me in English said to her friend in Thai while they were cleaning my wifes wounds, "why did they have to come at this time, we just paid for the expensive som tam and now it will be ruined" i shouted at her in Thai " because it's what you get f**king paid for", or there abouts, with a look of shock she cleaned her up and never said another word.

Please be aware it is not the quality of the room or furniture that kills or cures you, it is the quality of the staff......and their training.

Did you read the bit that said filthy, beds pracitically together and family looking after the patients?. I have been inside three hospitals in Thailand and tne other two were actualy very professional with plenty of staff, clean etc etc.

You are perfectly correct that the quaity of the staff that cures you, but with a lack of staff and some of these super bugs doing the rounds this paticular hospital needs a overhall.

It's lucky one of the princesses has moved to Nongbualamphu and the change in the town in the last 6 months you would not believe.

Can I ask how you measure "professional"?

Can I ask how you measure "professional"?

We saw copies of ex-rays, talked through procedures, nurses cleaned with swabs before putting in drips, Doctor on call took us to sit down and went through the options, girlfriend was allowed to attend anasthetic after a full scrub and provided with the correct clean gown etc etc.

Follow up visits every week for a month with the same doctor that did the operation.

Don't get me wrong I don't work in the health service but this seemed professional to me.

I am really not one for arguing on the internet, basically can't be bothered trying to change peoples fixed opinions, but I can tell you the main ward at Nongbua was like something from a battlefield. Sad but true.

On your point #2 - for anyone living or thinking of living here if you are or were not aware of the "rules" of living here than you are/were the ignorant one. Long before moving here I was very much aware of the rules and regulations about living in Thailand. The rules seemed fine and since moving here 4 years ago have had no problems. Really all one does is fill in some paper work.

As for being a guest lets see. A guest comes to stay for a while in your home you have advertised your home as an excellent place to come visit and enjoy the local sights and culture. Your guest drinks all your beer (albeit leaves some money in the cookie jar), pukes their guts out all over your living room without bothering to say sorry (albeit throws some money on the floor in the pile of vomit) beats you up leaving you unable to work (albeit leaves some money) defiles your daughter (albeit leaves some money in her cookie jar), <deleted>*ks your wife (albeit leaves some money in her cookie jar), rapes your younger son (albeit leaves a few pounds in his cookie jar) trashes your home (albeit leaves some money in the cookie jar), treats the home owners like <deleted>, calling them names, spitting in their face, not bothering to read or follow some of the simple rules of the house (albeit leaves some money in the cookie jar), then decides it is so much fun because they are not able to act like this in their own home (because their mommy won't let them) that they decide not to leave.

After all this you are expected to say, thank you please stay longer, you are after all our guest!

Edited by rct99q

On your point #2 - for anyone living or thinking of living here if you are or were not aware of the "rules" of living here than you are/were the ignorant one. Long before moving here I was very much aware of the rules and regulations about living in Thailand. The rules seemed fine and since moving here 4 years ago have had no problems. Really all one does is fill in some paper work.

As for being a guest lets see. A guest comes to stay for a while in your home you have advertised your home as an excellent place to come visit and enjoy the local sights and culture. Your guest drinks all your beer (albeit leaves some money in the cookie jar), pukes their guts out all over your living room without bothering to say sorry (albeit throws some money on the floor in the pile of vomit) beats you up leaving you unable to work (albeit leaves some money) defiles your daughter (albeit leaves some money in her cookie jar), <deleted>*ks your wife (albeit leaves some money in her cookie jar), rapes your younger son (albeit leaves a few pounds in his cookie jar) trashes your home (albeit leaves some money in the cookie jar), treats the home owners like <deleted>, calling them names, spitting in their face, not bothering to read or follow some of the simple rules of the house (albeit leaves some money in the cookie jar), then decides it is so much fun because they are not able to act like this in their own home (because their mommy won't let them) that they decide not to leave.

After all this you are expected to say, thank you please stay longer, you are after all our guest!

So can someone point out the logic and meaning in this diatribe?

Scully - I have and I find most people's assessments of Thai medical professionalism risible in the extreme. You have no idea of the proficiency of the training of these people or how well they retained any of it.

as for ethics, some very basic practices (How do you know you were properly scrubbed? How often have you read up on this?), bacterial contamination and above all an almost total lack of accountability in the industry....how much of this do you REALLY understand?

I'd suggest that your account of what you consider to be "professional" is little more than widow dressing and underlines the publics huge lack of understanding of health in general, let alone Thailand.

• Like 1

Scully - I have and I find most people's assessments of Thai medical professionalism risible in the extreme. You have no idea of the proficiency of the training of these people or how well they retained any of it.

as for ethics, some very basic practices (How do you know you were properly scrubbed? How often have you read up on this?), bacterial contamination and above all an almost total lack of accountability in the industry....how much of this do you REALLY understand?

I'd suggest that your account of what you consider to be "professional" is little more than widow dressing and underlines the publics huge lack of understanding of health in general, let alone Thailand.

So what´s your take on Thai hospitals then, private and governmental ones?