Uk Bank Account With Thai Address

I'm currently with Nationwide. I have tried to transfer some money from a fixed term account, which has matured, into a new fixed term account, but I am informed that because I live in Thailand, I cannot do this, despite having done this for several years previously.

Are there other UK Banks that allow account holders to live in Thailand ? I remember reading about Norwich & Peterborough on here, previously, but I can't see anything about them now.

I prefer internet banking if possible. I'm looking to invest in a fixed term account, for a higher interest rate.

Any help appreciated, thank you.

I have been resident here in Thailand and about three years ago opened a curent account with the Co-op Bank on Guernsey using my Thai address. I have found them very friendly and efficient and I use their internet banking service.

I am not sure about term deposits though it is well worth asking them.

Best regards

I bank with Nat West and I too have some issues.

I think the main problem is that they don't have a high opinion of Thailand in regards of safety regarding transactions or mailing

and for instance will not post credit/debit cards to aThai address. Also in many cases they require to see you in person to sign/open an account.

I recently had so many little niggles that I changed my Thai address to c/o my daughter's address in the UK

so new cards are sent there and she forwards by registered post to me in Thailand.

Luckily some years ago before I came here I made my daughter a co-signature on my account and have internet banking

so most problems now covered.

HSBC UK will accept you as a non-resident customer living in Thailand (as will all the major UK banks although they may try and fob you off to their offshore baranches in IOM/guernsey). No UK Building Society will open an account for you if non-UK resident.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 2

I have HSBC bank accounts in the UK and Offshore. I use internet banking to transfer money to Thailand. I receive letters and new cards to my Thai address and have had very little problems with the post. My only grumble with HSBC is they sold their retail business in Thailand so I can't transfer funds using globalview anymore which was free and quick.

Last year a term investment with Barclays Wealth matured and they wrote to my Thai address with instruction forms. No problems with this, although I did send the forms back by UPS (not expensive) so I could track receipt if necessary.

Building Societies and former building societies are not the same as banks.

Do check the investment accounts here too. Some good ones around, even allowing for the low pound e/r at the moment,

Norwich and Peterborough's website is nandp.com

They allow you to have a correspondence address that is different from your main account address and although I have never asked them to do so, I believe they said they would send new cards to my Thailand address if I wanted.

You would almost certainly need to go to the UK (or maybe Gibraltar) to open an account with them and I don't know how they compare deposit rate wise, but their internet banking is good and they are a great for people who use UK debit cards for purchases in foreign currencies as they don't charge a handling fee.

Edited by Paul888