Dealextreme Problems

I did a test order with Dealextreme for about $33.00 USD and was satisfied with my order. I then decided to order what I had really wanted a 4 camera IR CCTV System with HD DVR.

When the item got to my local Thai Post Office a customs person had put an Import Duty based on a Value of 30,000 Baht and 7% VAT on that amount. So for me to accept delivery of this CCTV System I was to pay an additional 5300. Baht for an item that sold for 5400. Baht.I refused delivery and asked the post Office to return to sender as it was return postage paid.

I spoke to DealeXtreme via online chat with customer service and was told I should have called them if I wanted a different value placed on item. Needless to say this was never discussed and I was NEVER made aware of anything but Free Shipping to Thailand. They took the attitude that it was MY problem.

There is more to the story... When I first ordered the item I got an Email asking that I supply a copy of my passport, Drivers license, Credit Card front and back. I told them that I would NOT supply them with such Info via Online Chat and they stated then we will cancel the order which I answered OK and fully expected the order to be cancelled and a credit back to my credit card. I later learned they went ahead and shipped the order which was also OK until it got here and there was the 5300. baht fee attached for an item I paid 5400. baht for in the first place.

My Credit card company has credited the monies back to my account but somehow I am not satisfied that this will be the end of it.

Anyone else had such an experience with this company?

An important lesson here for anyone wishing to import anything. Don't just sit back and expect the world to work for you, do your homework and check how much duty (plus 7%) you will be expected to pay when your goods arrive - ask customs and remember the rate can vary depending not only on the product but from where it was shipped

Edited by BrianCR

I used Dealextreme two years ago when living in the States. I received the items which turned out to be nothing but junk. And, I really mean junk.

I contacted them about 30 times trying to get my money back and although it was a small amount, it became the principle. Their customer service is well versed in how to dance around refunds, accepting responsibility for non-functioning junk, or even responding to emails or phone calls. I never did get my refund. I will Never use this company again. Bottom line, after this rant, is that I totally understand the OP's frustrations.

I use DX frequently and have had no problems in returning a product which is faulty or dead on arrival and even money refunded with out hassel, a lot of the product they have is relatively cheap and you get what you pay for but generally not bad for the price and for those reasons I give them 6 stars out of 10thumbsup.gif

I've used DX before and not been disappointed because I don't expect much. I don't think I'd buy a CCTV system from them, but who knows maybe it's a good one. Some of their stuff is good enough and some is real junk (as a previous poster described). DX is in China where there aren't any significant consumer protection laws. They sell some fake products (I've bought some) so if you buy from them an 'Apple iPhone USB charging cable" with Apple logo or packaging, it will work (most of the time) but it won't really be an "Apple" product. They also sell a lot of branded photography equipment/accessories which isn't really legit, although it probably functions almost identically as the real thing. The fact that they offered the OP to "under-invoice" his order so his customs fees would be less provides further clues as to their reliability or ethics or whatever. Most international online or mail-order suppliers would never suggest this and would refuse if asked.

If you walk around Panthip, especially ground floor stalls near the front door and miscellaneous electronics shops in the used mobile phone sections you can find almost everything you find at DX and probably most of those sellers at Panthip are also supplied by DX or another identical supplier in China. They probably have the same CCTV system the OP ordered from DX.

In DX's defense, I believe on every DX order there is statement that the addressee/customer is responsible for all import & customs duties and fees etc .... so DX shouldn't be blamed for this.

I ordered 3 sets of D'Addario guitar strings from DealExtreme. I received them without problems, but when I tried to put them on my guitar, they broke. I thought I might have gotten a defective batch, and wrote directly to D'Addario. They asked for the name of the seller, and pictures of the strings and packaging. I was shocked to learn they were counterfeit, Chinese made fakes.

After a lot of communication, I got a refund from PayPal, and D'Addario replaced the strings in return for me sending them the fakes. PayPal did the right thing, and D'Addario Co. went above and beyond. It ended well, but I would never buy from DealExtreme again.