Imobile Brand Phones?

beb

Yesterday I was looking at new phones and a friend suggested iMobile. We looked at some models which seemed fine but there is next to nothing available online in english to find out about the quality of the phones. I've tried to figure out the actual manufacturer but no luck so far.

Does anybody have any insights into this company's phones? Are they legit? Am I going to have any particular support or operator problems because of language? How good is the build?

I'm just looking for any info I can get. I don't want to try to save money and end up with an expensive brick.

Thanks.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some detailed reviews in the computer forum under mobile technology.

Would seem the iq6 and iq5.1 fare quite favorably.

I recall they are a Thai Chinese brand and used to be Samart

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

I bought an IQ4 yesterday after my Samsung Note1 broke down after 1.5 years use, and I really like it (so far).

Phones are like all electronic devises, you are either lucky or you isn't.

I think the IQ's are made in Thailand, no?

When I bought my 50" HD Samsung plasma TV I was told in the shop that it's made in Thailand.

I am never again gonna spend +20K baht on a phone despite the Note1 was a very good phone when it worked properly.

• Like 1

I bought an i-Style IQ7 two weeks ago. THB 3990. Latest Android, dual SIM, fast, very long battery life. Basic manual in English and Thai. The only thing missing is the ability to change the system font for unusual Unicode character sets (like Lao, Khmer, Bengali, etc.), which it seems that only Samsung supports. Other than that, very satisfied.

You'll pry my SGS2 out of my cold, dead fingers but Mrs Bobl got an IQ5 when her BB's touchscreen started acting up, and she's very happy with it. Like I said I'll stick with my Samsung (waiting for S4) but I'd be less than honest if I said the IQ5 wasn't good value for money. Especially considering it's replaced 2 phones, not 1 (dual sim).

The only thing I didn't realise until someone pointed it out - although it has GPS it has no magnetic sensor, so while gps and maps work (think Foursquare, Facebook, photo Geotagging etc) a 'compass' app won't - and if you're using it for driving or walking directions you won't be able to switch between 'track up' and 'north up' since it has no idea where North is. I think the IQ6 has the same problem. Other than that it's a perfectly capable 'budget' smartphone.

I mobile phones are rubbish ,i paid 2450 baht for 1, it does not work properly, took it back ,but hey this is thailand ,they dont want to know, went back to nokia. now no problems

Older I-mobile phones were indeed rubbish... if i remember your purchase was about 2- years ago. The Q and IQ series are decent low cost smart phones (the I-style phones are feature phones)

we have the Q2-Q4 and the Q6 in the family.. all are doing well.. Occasional reboots on the Q6 and the GPS does not seem to work well. but for 5k excellent value.

iMobile does not actually make anything. They get Asus to make phones for them and some other brands.

Some phones are excellent quality, others are cheap crap.

Similar to Welkom phones=Chinese cheap crap,re-labelled Welkom and sold in Thailand for double the price

I recently bought an iQ1 - and am very happy with it. I'll never use the local TV function - but it was the only one on sale with a full range of carrier frequencies. Paid 5,990. Active dual sim, which I use always.

Robust, good build quality, GPS works really well, and excellent specs for the price.

although it has GPS it has no magnetic sensor, so while gps and maps work (think Foursquare, Facebook, photo Geotagging etc) a 'compass' app won't - and if you're using it for driving or walking directions you won't be able to switch between 'track up' and 'north up' since it has no idea where North is. I think the IQ6 has the same problem.

I have an IQ6A, which is the highest-end and most expensive of the i-mobile range and the magnetometer is either missing or doesn't work. It's difficult to imagine why they would leave out a magnetometer (only on some models?) when it is so cheap (under 1 USD each) yet so useful (for navigation with map apps). It was an absolutely stupid decision if the omission was by design.

although it has GPS it has no magnetic sensor, so while gps and maps work (think Foursquare, Facebook, photo Geotagging etc) a 'compass' app won't - and if you're using it for driving or walking directions you won't be able to switch between 'track up' and 'north up' since it has no idea where North is. I think the IQ6 has the same problem.

I have an IQ6A, which is the highest-end and most expensive of the i-mobile range and the magnetometer is either missing or doesn't work. It's difficult to imagine why they would leave out a magnetometer (only on some models?) when it is so cheap (under 1 USD each) yet so useful (for navigation with map apps). It was an absolutely stupid decision if the omission was by design.

I just tried that on my IQ4 and the arrow is changing direction when I turn the phone so I guess it's working.

Just for the record: the IQ4 is the new top dog in the I-Mobile serieswink.png

I just tried that on my IQ4 and the arrow is changing direction when I turn the phone so I guess it's working.

Just for the record: the IQ4 is the new top dog in the I-Mobile series;)

How much is the IQ4 and what size screen?

Just for the record: the IQ4 is the new top dog in the I-Mobile serieswink.png

Are you sure (about the name of your phone, not the magnetometer)? I thought the IQ6 and IQ5.1 were the two latest IQ range, and i-Style7 the latest i-Style range. You sure it's not an i-Style Q4 you've got? Indeed, the i-Style Q4 is listed as having a motion sensor (I assume that's what they're calling the magnetometer).

Their naming conventions are a freakin' nightmare. But they seem to have *slightly* avoided the confusion by dropping the Q from the i-Style range... Before, there was an IQ5 and an i-Style Q5 which confused the bejesus out of people. Now there's just IQ6 and i-Style 7 as their two top phones from each range.

The IQ4 is brand new, same specs (cpu is the same, 2 sim card slots and so on) as the IQ6 series and same price as well. Screen is also 5" HD but the phone is slightly thicker than a IQ6.

The Network is: GSM900/1800 MHz

3G: HSDPA 7.2Mbps /HSUPA 5.75Mbps

850/900/2100MHz

Front facing camera is 3Mp, IQ6's is 2Mp, rear facing camera the same at 12Mp

Confused?? I ambiggrin.png

I am by the way very happy with the phone.

Now the IQ9, looks pretty nice, they say the same GPU as the Galaxy S4 and the IQ1.1.

Not the best photo of it eh!

Now the IQ9, looks pretty nice, they say the same GPU as the Galaxy S4 and the IQ1.1.

So from this thread, we find the new IQ4 is newer and better than the IQ6, which was their previous flagship and which is being superceded by the IQ9 (wonder what happened to the 7 and 8) and the IQ1.1

When it came to names I used to think i-mobile were just dumb, but now I'm convinced they're taking the pi55...

• Like 1

So from this thread, we find the new IQ4 is newer and better than the IQ6, which was their previous flagship and which is being superceded by the IQ9 (wonder what happened to the 7 and 8) and the IQ1.1

When it came to names I used to think i-mobile were just dumb, but now I'm convinced they're taking the pi55...

Perhaps testing your IQ :o

• Like 1

The IQ9 was not on sale when I bought my IQ4.

The No's are indeed very confusing, I wonder if their CEO are on something?

Still very happy with my IQ4, impressive how fast it responds and also when taking 12Mp pictures it ready for the next shot very quickly.

IQ4 only dual core 1ghz. IQ5.1 quad core 1.2 ghz, slightly bigger screen (but lower Res). IQ9 quad core 1.2 ghz mediatek (arm cortex a7 faster than qualcomm a5 on IQ5.1). Seems you pay more money for the better screen on all the models. IQ5.1 is the one I have;for me I don't mind the poorer quality screen as the computing power is always the limiter, plus it has a 1gb of ram, while the cheaper ones only have 512mb.

• Like 1

IQ5.1 is the one I have;for me I don't mind the poorer quality screen as the computing power is always the limiter, plus it has a 1gb of ram, while the cheaper ones only have 512mb.

What are you using the quad core for, especially considering the low resolution?

I was thinking about getting an IQ5 , but now thinking that my main concern is screen quality , and the fact that Ive not yet been able to see an IQ5 along side an IQ4 to compare the screens . Does the IQ4 screen really look a lot better than the IQ5 .

IQ4 - Display IPS-LCD - 720 x 128 - 16 million color Capacitive

IQ5 - Display TFT-LCD - 480 x 854 65,536 color Capacitive

I was thinking about getting an IQ5 , but now thinking that my main concern is screen quality , and the fact that Ive not yet been able to see an IQ5 along side an IQ4 to compare the screens . Does the IQ4 screen really look a lot better than the IQ5 .

IQ4 - Display IPS-LCD - 720 x 128 - 16 million color Capacitive

IQ5 - Display TFT-LCD - 480 x 854 65,536 color Capacitive

I must admit that I haven't compared the 2 but the pixels are much higher on the 4 than the 5 so if you watch youtube/pictures the 4 should be the best.

When I was in the I-mobile shop in Lotus in North Pattaya the sales lady showed me a IQ4 so I could check the phone out before buying it.

You should be able to go to a I-mobile shop and compare the 2 models "live".

Does anyone know where the best place is in Bangkok to go to get my compass fixed on my IQ6A?

There are service centers at the Mall Pinklao and Mall Rama 2.

Also the main service center at I mobile head office.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Does anyone know where the best place is in Bangkok to go to get my compass fixed on my IQ6A?

Your compass isn't broken, it's absent.

For some reason they chose not to include a magnetometer in that model. The IQ5 also doesn't have.

I believe they have now added one to the (new) IQ4.

If a compass is very important to you sell the 6A while it's still relatively current and you'll get a decent price for it, then trade up to an IQ4