Hip Replacement

dthomasss

Has anyone had the surgery in either Bangkok or Pattaya? I am looking for recommendations and not just brand names. I know Bumrungrad has some good surgeons, but they are 150,000 baht more expensive than other hospitals, and I know what counts the most is the surgeon.

Also appreciate feedback as to what the recovery period was like.

I had my right hip replaced last October at Vejthani in Bangkok by Dr. Paiboon.

Very pleased with the results, that hospital has several specilast departments, one of which does only knee and hip replacements. Price isn't cheap 450,000 baht all in but I had insurance which covered everything except the price of the implant itself, metal with a ceramic head.

First 2 days after surgury are very uncomfortable, I'll have to have my left one done in the future and not looking forward to it.

Day 2 I'm up with a walker, day 3 up with my crutches, day 4 discharge and into the attached apartments at the hospital, I live up North and they didn't want me to fly for 2 weeks due to deep vein thrombosis possibilities

In the apartments it's heaven being in a real bed, no real pain just be careful getting out of bed and keep your knees apart.

Do exersises twice a day as shown by the physical therapy people and walk around on crutches a lot.

The exercises for the surgery area are difficult but the harder you push them the quicker the recovery. Once I got home in 2 weeks I would put on a steel toed work boot and do leg lifts 3 times per day.

The exercises are really the key, go on the internet and look up what you can do and push as hard as you can.

5 weeks after the operation, walking without crutches and no limp. The doctor was suprised when I walked in unaided for a follow up exam and x-ray 8 weeks after the operation. He said to expect 2 months on crutches and 1 month with a cane. I never used a cane, found it to be too unstable.

I'm 55 and in good physical shape (except for the hip bones) so that helped with the recovery I guess

My only issue is that the length is a bit off, right side is maybe 7-8mm longer which takes getting used to, but a insole on the left side solves that.

I can run around and keep up with my 2 year old son so that's my benchmark I guess.

Good luck with yours, hope it goes as well as mine.

Ken