Bomb Detector Scam: Thai Authorities Not To Press Charges

webfact

BOMB DETECTOR SCAM
Authorities not to press charges

PIYANUCH THAMNUKASETCHAI PANYA TIEWSANGWAN
THE NATION

30204834-01_big.jpg

Inaction 'could be construed as failure to protect national interest'

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Police, the Navy and the Air Force will not be pressing charges against suppliers of the fake GT200 and Alpha 6 bomb detectors, a source from the Department of Special Investigation said yesterday.

The source said the agencies had purchased the GT200s, but after a British court ruled that the devices were hoaxes, the three agencies declined to come forward to file complaints that they had been cheated.

The source said the DSI has so far been unable to tell how many GT200 and Alpha 6 devices had been purchased by the three agencies nor could they determine the cost of damages.

The source said the inaction by the Police, Navy and Air Force might cause senior officers of the three service branches to be viewed as failing to protect national interests.

On Tuesday, James McCormick, the owner of Comstrac Co Ltd, was convicted in London of selling the hoax devices to Iraq and other countries.

The DSI source said investigators had so far questioned 90 witnesses and would speed up questioning of witnesses of agencies cheated by Comstract.

The source said the DSI found that Comstract appointed two companies as representatives in Thailand - Jackson Electronics (Thailand) and ASSM Trading.

After the DSI passed the case to the National Anti-Corruption Commission to check for possible graft by senior permanent officials, the NACC's investigation took the same direction as the DSI's, the source said.

BIDDING IRREGULARITIES

For example, the NACC suspected that permanent officials in charge of procuring the bomb detectors allowed irregularities during the bidding process and then more irregularities when the quality of the products was to be checked.

The source said the purchasing panels checked the devices under the guidance of the suppliers. The DSI's ongoing investigation found that when the manufacturer of the GT200 and Alpha 6 devices was about to make delivery, it prepared its own explosive-ordnance disposal team for the quality checks.

Also yesterday, Army commander-in-chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said reporters should stop attacking the Army over the GT200 procurements.

He said the Army had stopped using the products a few years ago. He said the procurements were done by purchasing committees and there were no irregularities.

"Don't say there was foul play because the purchases were done several years ago. Please provide evidence to back your allegations," Prayuth said.

Purchases of GT200 and Alpha 6 devices by 13 government agencies and provincial administrations (Agencies/from company/numbers of unit/unit price/dates of purchase)

1. The Department of the Provincial Administration/Jackson Electronics (Thailand)/which purchases 63 Alpha 6 units at Bt530,952 apiece in March 2009

2. Yala provincial authorities/UCG Engineering/17 Alpha 6 units/Bt1,850,588/August 2009

3. Phitsanulok provincial authorities/M Land Darch/1 Alpha 6 unit/Bt1,647,800/May 2008

4. Phuket provincial authorities/UCG/2 Alpha 6 units/Bt550,000/July 2009

5. The Customs Department/AVA Satcom/6 GT200 units/Bt426,666.66/June 2009

6. Sing Buri police/UCG/6 GT200 units/Bt550,000/February 2009

7. Chainat police/AVA/1 GT200 unit/Bt550,000/unknown date

8. Songkhla provincial administrative organisation/UCG/5 GT200 units/Bt999,000/March 2009

9. Phetchaburi provincial authorities/UCG/1 GT200 unit/Bt850,000/September 2009

10. The Office of Narcotics Control Board/

Jackson/10 Alpha 6 units/Bt424,800/July 2008

Jackson/5 Alpha 6 units/Bt424,800/August 2008

11. Central Institute of Forensic Science Thailand

AVA/1 GT200 unit/Bt1,120,000/December 2007

AVA/1 GT200 unit/Bt1,120,000/September 2008

AVA/4 GT200 units/Bt1,120,000/January 2009

ASLM Traiding/2 Alpha 6 units/Bt447,000/December 2008

12. Armed Forces Security Centre

Jackson/8 Alpha 6 units/Bt1,300,000/August 2009

13. The Army’s Ordnance Department/AVA/747 GT200 units in 12 purchases/unknown dates/

At various unit prices of Bt1,250,000, of Bt950,000, of Bt1,291,304.35, and of Bt900,000

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-26

"Also yesterday, Army commander-in-chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said reporters should stop attacking the Army over the GT200 procurements"

Reporters attacking the army?The army clearly has no respect for the security of its own men.These devices are shaped like something an old neighbour of mine used to find good well bore sites except it was wood.. I think it was Hazel and it worked! I dont know think he paid for it but if he did pay it wasn't $18000.And I'd say if he was still above the earth and was given the option of the GT200 or the sticks to find a bomb in his own field...he'd choose the Hazel every time...

• Like 1

Army generals & senior officers share the ill gotten wealth and have protection/partners that are untouchable in Thailand.

Ditto the police & government, of course, who also bought some of these things.

The general should care more about his squaddies, even though this was all way before his time at the top of the tree, if he wants to run an effective service. His men need to be better-equipped, for example having a public whip-round recently, to buy extra bullet-proof jackets for soldiers serving down-South, is simply unacceptable.

Except here in Thailand, it seems. wink.pngsad.png

Nothing like consistant pricing.

I am going to start 'pretend' development of some super military device, does not have to work as past events show.

The product prototypes at Thai shows rarely if ever really work. The only Thai goodies that really work at Thai trade shows are the working girls. The real "backbone" of the Thai economy. Hats off to the girls.

Why am I not surprised? After buying these "bomb detectors" they were entrusted to low ranking soldiers whose lives were dependent on these equipment "functioning" properly. If I were that lowly soldier who used the GT200, I would be furious at my superiors. But - This is Thailand...

Edited by toybits

Leaving aside that the devices were crap, shouldn't someone look at the huge variation in unit prices. If the Narcs can buy them for B425,000 how can others justify paying up to B1.85 million? Were they simply incompetent or offered huge kickbacks, encouraging them to overlook the fact that they were buying garbage?

• Like 1

Why am I not surprised? After buying these "bomb detectors" they were entrusted to low ranking soldiers whose lives were dependent on these equipment "functioning" properly. If I were that lowly soldier who used the GT200, I would be furious at my superiors. But - This is Thailand...

Low ranking as in dark skinned?

• Like 1

Robbing the country blind is what the Army and their backers are all about.

Airships, aircraft carriers, submarines etc.

The Generals and their buddies up high take a large piece of it all.

The army budget is over 160 billion and they probably steal at least 35%.

56 billion a year to spread around. Nice.

Didn't they give themselves amnesty and an 80 billion raise after the last coup?

Right now it seems they have a deal with Yingluk. You leave the Army alone and the army lets you play PM.

Is there any wonder there's massive corruption here when those and such as those know then can operate with impunity because of who they are or what they are ?

Low ranking as in dark skinned?

Low ranking... as in a Private. And not a General. Got it.

Some people really do have a gutter mindset.

The source said the DSI found that Comstract appointed two companies as representatives in Thailand - Jackson Electronics (Thailand) and ASSM Trading.

Well, searching Google returns one website that looks like a genuine supplier of communications equipment, the other can't be found at least in Thailand. Oh, what a tangled web we weave.

Of course, they don't want to press charges against the agents, but surely, this can't be arbitrarily up to the armed forces?

• Like 1

Well, searching Google returns one website that looks like a genuine supplier of communications equipment, the other can't be found at least in Thailand. Oh, what a tangled web we weave.

Of course, they don't want to press charges against the agents, but surely, this can't be arbitrarily up to the armed forces?

Crooked deals this big with the army have the ultimate protection.

Case closed.

• Like 2

Leaving aside that the devices were crap, shouldn't someone look at the huge variation in unit prices. If the Narcs can buy them for B425,000 how can others justify paying up to B1.85 million? Were they simply incompetent or offered huge kickbacks, encouraging them to overlook the fact that they were buying garbage?

And the winner is....

2. Yala provincial authorities/UCG Engineering/17 Alpha 6 units/Bt1,850,588/August 2009

Those southern boys sure do drive a hard bargain.. No wonder the terrorists are quaking in their flip flops as they run circles around them.....

Yes, we won't press charges because we are all a bunch of deceitful, lying and corrupt self-serving incompetents who were/ are very happy to put the lives of our people at risk so we could/ can make money. Plus, the whole process will expose an organized network of systematic, institutionalized corruption starting at the very top of the security forces and government in Thailand.

And we don't want that now, do we?

Obviously, if Thailand pressed charges, the whole procurement process would be open to intense legal scrutiny by McCormick's legal team, the British courts, other countries and the media in Thailand.

I don't think this one is going to go away.

Good.

That's about it, refusing the press charges and have the purchasing investigated is tantamount to admitting collusion in the scam. This is something the government should, rightfully, be all over demanding explanations, although I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

It is a very clear admission that they wish to see this particular can of worms kept tightly sealed...!

They are given proof of fraudulent sales of bogus products and publicly state, "never mind, we'll let if go this time"....?? <deleted>?

The public inquiry of any similar case in the UK would see some very senior heads rolling....!!!!

• Like 2

Not pressing charges because they don't want to implicate some VERY prominent figures here that are neck deep in this crap?

Good to know justice is still alive and kicking here in LoS.

Edited by Tatsujin
  • Like 1

He states "don't say there was foul play, because this happened years ago." What a comment.

That comma is a bit naughty - completely changes what was written above

More than 'naughty', methinks, but maybe too subtle for most readers.

• Like 1