Thai Videos Confirm Long-Standing Rumours Of Conscript Abuse

webfact

Indeed, conscription has been abandoned in many countries as it is a waste of time, train someone for a couple of years they may just be approaching a level you can build on. In Israel I understand the need.

Sadly it will probably always be needed here too as the government will never pay a soldier a decent wage. That is all that's required to have a decent volunteer force. Having been an instructor I know how hard it can be to motivate regular volunteer troops, I can imagine how much harder it would be if they didn't want to be there.

I'm sure it are all just rumors and the whole thing is blown out of proportion? Judge for yourself.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=543395739037729

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=544534028923900

Having watching that gut churning violence I dont know how to comment. Living in fear bcos I have young son born here and Luk Krung kids will get worse that this if conscription is still in force in ten years. Unfortunately what you see here is a mirror of a large chunk of Thai society. Stop Conscription, down size the army

And don't forget the bosses sending out the underlings with bomb detectors to check on them live bombs.

You would be crazy to let your son be drafted into this countries careless regime.

Mine will not, no matter what.

I'm sure it are all just rumors and the whole thing is blown out of proportion? Judge for yourself.

Thank you for posting the connections. Military basic training usually involves some kinds of "beastings" - but these look more like some people abusing their position of authority.

It would be good to have the full stories behind these, but on face value it looks like simple bullying and assault.

The first video they don't know what he was being punished for. The 2nd was apparently for smoking and refusing to admit to it when caught.

Quite a few of the Thai posters said the soldiers dealing out the assault should be punished by being sent down South to deal with the separatist insurgency.

I just watched these sickening video's which can only prove that Thailand has a whole range of Buffalo Soldiers, from the Minster, Commander and right down through the ranks. No further proof is necessary, the buffalo's can be seen committing serious offenses (note that they can only do it as a herd of Buffalo through). The sickening pigs MUST be arrested and charged along with their commanding officers! As a supporter of Thailand for over 33 years (especially on TV where, God knows supporters are needed) I am totally disgusted and am not prepared to listen to any more rubbish and stupid army/political comments - find and prosecute them - or you deserve to go to hell!

Traditional Thai massage!!!

Chill out , there's a good chance that these young men will be required to fight an enemy that will have no hesitation in cutting their throats and beheading them. Then the enemy will stand shielded by women and children in the full knowledge that the "western" troops will obey the "rules of war". Maybe these guys will be hard enough to see through this bullshit...God knows the "West" doesn't

This is an armed forces that through the years has repeatedly committed murders and human rights abuses; Preah Vihear massacre, murder of illegal Cambodian loggers Rohingya refugees, Tak Bai, Chinese sailors, etc, etc, etc.

Systematic abuse as shown in the videos is one of the reasons why.

This is an armed forces that through the years has repeatedly committed murders and human rights abuses; Preah Vihear massacre, murder of illegal Cambodian loggers Rohingya refugees, Tak Bai, Chinese sailors, etc, etc, etc.

Systematic abuse as shown in the videos is one of the reasons why.

All the more reason to have an "exit plan" for when the unthinkable eventually happens and things go seriously south.

It is normal for all new Thai conscripts to be searched on a daily basis many times as they are not allowed to have mobiles, i-pods or even cigarettes on their person. And yes, it is true that some of the training of the new recruits is conducted, or assisted by the trainees of the previous year

So, with the above in mind, it would be logical to assume that the videos were taken by the staff and not the conscripts, for their later amusement. Really sad how the brain works!

Gives me flashbacks to the pictures that were taken at Abu Ghraib (Iraq), by the people commiting the offences that later reached the distribution point of the net to cause global disgrace to the coalition forces. Different scenario I know, but it shows the mindset of certain individuals, no matter where they are from. If you haven't seen, or have forgotten, please look it up.

Please do not think that the human nature of the Thai instructors is unique only to Thailand. This sort of abuse, (granted, not to this level and never recorded because of the lack of technology at the time) was prevalent in the British armed forces 30+ years ago, as I could if I wanted attest to. It took a similar complaint process to reduce it then.

This will likely ruffle the feathers of some readers, but IMHO you have to look at the bigger picture, not just the reported incidents. Certainly not saying it is right, but it happens everywhere.

If I was dishing out physical corrective training and one of my team was videoing it they would be getting some too. Not really condoning it but it wasn't so long ago that physical discipline was acceptable in our countries, times change, they just haven't here yet. Look at how cops let civilians beat prisoners when they are being arrested.

You call it physical discipline?

Where i come from it is physical violence and never been acceptable especially when carried out under the guise of a military rank,and by cowards in packs......one on one and no shackles even in the army would see a lot of these so called tough men found out by young angry men who do not want to be there.

I agree with the cowards in packs comment. When I was trained physical discipline was used, right or wrong it had the required effect. If you are given an order and you tell the person to eff off what next? A time out? Still, where do you come from where physical violence has never been acceptable, sounds like a nice place to be. I would probably stay in such a haven.

Lala land has many inhabitants.

I watched both videos all the way through.I do not agree with the punishment method used but I like every one else on this thread have no idea of what led up to them. So I have no idea of the correct punishment. I do not believe that that kind of abuse is proper punishment

The one in there underwear was a realistic one. The reactionary time of the abused was slow like as if they were in pain.

But how do we know it was not a form of hazing carried out within the group of trainees themselves for the actions of the two causing the whole group to be punished.

The one where the soldier was kicked around and pushed around reminded me of professional wrestling where the wrestler takes a beating that all most kills them and in 3 seconds they are up and administering the same beating to there opponent.

Was I the only one who thought it a little strange that he could take all that punishment and still react like nothing had happened. The film was to me made with a Camera that was stationary. I personally think that one was staged.

the reasons Thai parents don't want their children to go into the services is because they are afraid they will get sent to the southern provinces and get blown up by some self righteous religious nut.

Edited by hellodolly

I watched both videos all the way through.I do not agree with the punishment method used but I like every one else on this thread have no idea of what led up to them. So I have no idea of the correct punishment. .

The second video said they were being punished for being caught smoking.