7/11 No Booze

johna

I was in 7/11 last week and they were selling beer etc but yesterday the shelves were empty and a sign on the wall saying no more sales,

I have not seen anything in the newspapers about a change in law or 7/11 company policy,

so whats up,,

Same thing happened in a 7-11 near me. When I asked why I was told it was because they were near a school and the police were enforcing laws about alcohol sales near such places.

Still, the Family Mart directly across the road from the school was doing a roaring trade in booze.

Its all wrong!

You cant buy a SINGLE bottle of beer or even two between certain hours in the big supermarkets.

But you can legitamatley buy a frigging CASE at anytime, day or night.

So all the teenagers just club together and do that! So rather than reducing alcohol sales to this particular group of over-age drinkers they are in fact encouraging them to drink more!!! and saves them money in the process because they are buying bulk!!!

What an absolutley STUPID system

Its all wrong!

You cant buy a SINGLE bottle of beer or even two between certain hours in the big supermarkets.

But you can legitamatley buy a frigging CASE at anytime, day or night.

So all the teenagers just club together and do that! So rather than reducing alcohol sales to this particular group of over-age drinkers they are in fact encouraging them to drink more!!! and saves them money in the process because they are buying bulk!!!

What an absolutley STUPID system

TIT

They have also banned Sale of Alkohol @ any Petrolstations.

Is yr local 7/11 in a petrol station.

The other rule is to prohibit the sale of single bottle between certain times , but allow you to buy wholesale,10 bottles up in the same period.

Well, the small Mum n Dad shop's do not follow this rules and you can get your booze there.

A nice way to keep them alive.

It has to be a good thing in my opionion that you can't buy booze from a petrol station. It is however,very inconvenient for me as our closest small shops are located at shell and lemon green. However, the daftest thing of all to my mind is the restrictions of timing. How can it be judged better to only sell it between 11 and 2 and then 5-midnight. Did whoever made the laws up think that would stop people over indulging, or restrict their input. It is plain stupid in my mind :o

In our soi the local shop house makes a killing and good luck to them :D

Same thing happened in a 7-11 near me. When I asked why I was told it was because they were near a school and the police were enforcing laws about alcohol sales near such places.

Still, the Family Mart directly across the road from the school was doing a roaring trade in booze.

I don't understand myself and I don't drink,so it does not really affect me. 7-11 is banned from selling alcohol, but Family Mart can,which are both near a school? Do they have something against 7-11?

Edited by britainmal

yes - i beleive there is a political reason for 7's not selling alchohol - but cant recall it exactly - best get off the beaten path - down a soi - you get what you want when you want and a better price to boot as well...

Theres a 7/11 directly next to the temple school (across the road from the temple) nearish where I live. They are still selling boooooooze, but it is in Don Muang area and off the main roads. I wait to see if the shelves get emptied but they were stocked last night.

Just to have a moan, YAWN...... went to Cha am to relax the weekend out. I forgot about the new restriction and went into 7/11 about 1AM for a beer to take back to the room after walking on the beach........ No sale, no prob - bit annoyed but my own fault. Then i did get a beer off a shopfront (where the shutter was nearly down) - with the help of a local who pointed me in the direction, then came along and ordered it for me. Nice :o

This hour restriction is sooooooo dumb IMHO. Not only for the reasons that ThaiPauly pointed out earlier in the thread, but for the feeling it envoked. I was doing something criminal by buying the beer!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Loads of BIB driving up and down the beach late at night there. Seems like they are enforcing this bul***t rule quite effectively. But like someone said at least the small Thai shops benefit and the franchises lose out. Interesting about 7/11 vs mini mart.......

In general it all seems to be going tits up at the moment

Don't know why they disallow alcohol sales near schools, minors are not allowed to buy alc anyway (min. age=18), so that's taken care of already.

What a silly regulation!

Btw, at certain times wholesale quantities, but not retail, may be purchased. That's interpreted differently amongst shops. At my local Tesco's they insisted I'd buy 2 cases of beer and 2 bottles of spirit!?!

Let the party begin...burp...

Btw, at certain times wholesale quantities, but not retail, may be purchased. That's interpreted differently amongst shops. At my local Tesco's they insisted I'd buy 2 cases of beer and 2 bottles of spirit!?!

The law states that the "wholesale quantity" is 10 Litres, although many places are interpreting that as two cases of beer (evidently maths is not a strong subject amongst Tesco supervisors). OK so I buy two cases every other week, rather than one case every week. It has had ZERO effect on my drinking habits.

As has been stated, dumb law.