Can Wife Have Her Secret Bank Account

maikauzai

Ah, yes, the secret bank account. It's not usually as nefarious as it sounds, and in fact is completely innocent in most cases. Let me explain.

You usually find these innocent secret accounts when you have a female who is completely dependent financially on her husband. He gives her money for all the household expenses, and usually even buys her most of the things she asks for. The bank account may be joint, but he controls the money. She has no money she can call her own, and no way to purchase anything in the case when her husband says no. It's also sort of a permanent childhood psychologically, having to ask for money. Imagine if you had to ask permission of your spouse to spend any money?

And so, she acquires money of her own. She spends a bit less than the budget allows at the grocery store, and pockets the difference. She saved the money, so it is hers. Or she writes a check for $10 over the amount of the grocery bill. She does this assiduously, and deposits the money in her secret account. This was standard practice in the US in the fifties and early sixties. American men of that era expected their wives to have a stash of money someplace. Heck, my grandma did it with the "egg money," the money of her own she got from raising chickens on their farm and selling the eggs. It is currently very common in Japan, with most women having from $10,000 to $40,000 in their secret accounts and their husband having no clue. Should he lose his job, she'll use that money to help the family out. Should her husband develop a problem with gambling or drugs she'll sit on that money, and try to increase it as fast as she can.

In no way is it typically a preparation for divorce, although it can be used in that way. It's mostly a way for a woman to keep feeling like an adult and have some control over her life. Okay?

I agree with you, girl... :D But I think most husband disagree and may think that she has another plan. :D which is not always true. I ' m not planning for something else but just want to buy my new shoes :o