Thailand Approves Layout For Formula 1 Circuit

webfact

Approval given to Bangkok’s Formula One racing route

f1.jpg?itok=bBMZUAoR

Bangkok has given the green light to a Formula One racing route, which will host the city’s first Formula One race in 2015.

According to Kanokphand Chulakasem, governor of the Sports Authority of Thailand, a group of experts selected a 5.995-kilometer route that will take racers on a tour of Bangkok’s central landmarks, including the Grand Palace, Temple of Dawn and Victory Monument.

The Royal Dock Yard will serve as the race’s beginning and endpoint.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/04/26/approval-given-bangkok%E2%80%99s-formula-one-racing-route

cocon.jpg

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-04-26

What a crock BS experts ... Bangkok is the wrong place for F1 Phuket is the right place ...

?? u say "Phuket is the right place" ??? BKK is the centre of SEA. Phuket is a dirty island that can't organise a bus service.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i think this would be the biggest castastrophe and maybe the biggest wake up call that thailand needs, because the whole world would be watching, i can understand many other asian countries holding it because they are years ahead, singapore,malasyia,shanghai, but thailand thinks itself to be way ahead of what it actually is, i would love to see it here, and would hold my hands up if they pulled it off, but knowing what goes on around here, i doubt it very much, most other city`s street races look spectacular, i cant see bangkok`s looking good at all, but i live in hope,

I would imagine the loss of face over a failure would be horrendous.

Something as simple as asking directions to the track could be entertaining. That is if you have ever tried to get directions from a Thai before, you know the classic non-answer answer you get when asking them something they don't know.

The futsal was bad enough, so getting this done remotely on western time frame will be a massive job. Better to just let Red Bull manage the whole thing because by the time the BMA, fia, and national government have worked out who will actually be responsible time will be up.

The traffic will be horrendous.

25% chance it gets done on time. Then just watch the hop haa about getting everything correct.

Edited by Thai at Heart

This is much closer to reality than most of you might expect. The major reason due to Red Bull wanting it to happen. Don't forget, Red Bull is half-owned by a Thai, and its mainly his push for this to happen here, and he's got major influence in the FIA, and he's going to be sponsoring it as well. F1 has already been staged at many major city circuits, Melbourne, Adelaide, Monte Carlo, Phoenix, and most significantly, Singapore City. If Singapore can close down its entire town center for four days, why can't Bangkok?

Because singapore is organised.

Adelaide used to have it, it took 5 weeks to set up and 2 to pull down. So you're looking at nearly 2 months of even worse chaos than exists in that part of tour now.

If the F1 oganisers had any brains they'd never allow it to be here, plus I'm pretty sure some city has to LOSE it, so either Singapore or KL would have to be really messing it up? (just my thoughts).

Y does some city have to lose it? I know u onlt said you were pretty sure.. could you possible do some research and enlighten me?

Because the mumber of grand prix is limited.

The circuit will run past several major tourist destinations, including the Grand Palace, the Temple of Dawn and Victory Monument.

What? No pit stops in Nana, Patpong, Soi Cowboy? sad.png

It's F1. You don't lube and change the oil during a race. Just a set of new rubbers and top up the fuel tanks..

• Like 1

At this point it's probably a formality for the FIA to approve the circuit and redevelopment of the roads and surrounding area will commence in order for an F1 race to take place in 2015.

A month before the actual race, the FIA will do a final approval and If the circuit isn't up to standard, the race simply won't take place if the issues can't be rectified in time.

If a year out from the race the Thai organisers are behind schedule, Bernie will simply pull the event from the tentative 2015 schedule. Bernie doesn't mess around and the organisers will be well aware of this.

This isn't like Futsal where you can't take the event somewhere else and FIFA is stuck with Bangkok hosting the event. The race will simply be yanked.

Edited by Hulkster

This is much closer to reality than most of you might expect. The major reason due to Red Bull wanting it to happen. Don't forget, Red Bull is half-owned by a Thai, and its mainly his push for this to happen here, and he's got major influence in the FIA, and he's going to be sponsoring it as well. F1 has already been staged at many major city circuits, Melbourne, Adelaide, Monte Carlo, Phoenix, and most significantly, Singapore City. If Singapore can close down its entire town center for four days, why can't Bangkok?

Because singapore is organised.

Adelaide used to have it, it took 5 weeks to set up and 2 to pull down. So you're looking at nearly 2 months of even worse chaos than exists in that part of tour now.

If the F1 oganisers had any brains they'd never allow it to be here, plus I'm pretty sure some city has to LOSE it, so either Singapore or KL would have to be really messing it up? (just my thoughts).

Y does some city have to lose it? I know u onlt said you were pretty sure.. could you possible do some research and enlighten me?

Because the mumber of grand prix is limited.

Ok... My guess it would be Melbourne that would be dropped. The anal OH&S knobspankers and bulldikes are well on track to killing all the fun in Australia.

At this point it's probably a formality for the FIA to approve the circuit and redevelopment of the roads and surrounding area will commence in order for an F1 race to take place in 2015.

A month before the actual race, the FIA will do a final approval and If the circuit isn't up to standard, the race simply won't take place if the issues can't be rectified in time.

If a year out from the race the Thai organisers are behind schedule, Bernie will simply pull the event from the tentative 2015 schedule. Bernie doesn't mess around and the organisers will be well aware of this.

This isn't like Futsal where you can't take the event somewhere else and FIFA is stuck with Bangkok hosting the event. The race will simply be yanked.

Of course it will. How can you close the main arteries of bangkok to produce a racing surface? It will be mayhem for months.

An F1 surface will deteriorate so fast under Bangkok traffic, will they permenantly be repairing it forever?

Just build a track in bangna and have done with it.

According to Kanokphand Chulakasem, governor of the Sports Authority of

Thailand, a group of experts selected a 5.995-kilometer route that will

take racers on a tour of Bangkok’s central landmarks, including the

Grand Palace, Temple of Dawn and Victory Monument.

Honestly. You can only laugh.

What is an anal OH&S knobspanker, sounds like something you have to pay for.

Occupational Health and Safety ( OH&S ) They r the guys that make everybody on a construction site wear long sleeve shirts, Full length trousers, helmets, safety goggles, gloves, steel capped boots, etc. They have created an industry for themselves on the back of the guys that actually do the work. There is no consideration for the conditions ie: heat, open sky. (why do you need a helmet when you are digging a hole in the middle of a open field?) It is out of control in Australia and industry is closing down because of the outrageous overheads. I think you get the idea. A "knobspanker" and a "bull-dike" u can figure that.

Of course it will. How can you close the main arteries of bangkok to produce a racing surface? It will be mayhem for months.

An F1 surface will deteriorate so fast under Bangkok traffic, will they permenantly be repairing it forever?

They have street races elsewhere (Monte Carlo, Singapore), I'm sure Bangkok can manage. They can work at night. They don't have to close down streets during the day. Labor is dirt cheap in Thailand, so no problem in getting a job done quickly if you throw enough people at it.

I'm sure an F1 surface can hold up to the demands of Toyota Corolla taxis. You worry too much.

Just sit back and look forward to attending the race (assuming you're not an english teacher on 30k a month).

• Like 1

All i ever see in the comments on this forum is whinging farang. We've got a saying in Aus 'don't love it leave'.So you yourself don't love Aus then?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I think you missed the point buddy

I think you cannot answer simple questions. I also take it you live here in Thailand full time and don't have ANY bad thoughts or problems reference that life in Thailand. If so good on you.

Edited by thaicbr

They have street races elsewhere (Monte Carlo, Singapore), I'm sure Bangkok can manage. They can work at night. They don't have to close down streets during the day. Labor is dirt cheap in Thailand, so no problem in getting a job done quickly if you throw enough people at it.

I'm sure an F1 surface can hold up to the demands of Toyota Corolla taxis. You worry too much.

Just sit back and look forward to attending the race (assuming you're not an english teacher on 30k a month).

The English teachers will in the front rows having been invited by their happy students. You don't necessarily need money in Thailand. Sometimes it's who you know :D:D

I would love to see this happen but i think bernie will not approve of the track and they will have alot

of resufacing to do and get it too F1 standards all in 2 years? I don't think so btu i would love to see

the thai's prove us wrong on this 1.

Resurfacing is a normal procedure in any country setting up an F1 track. You think they can't do it here?

I would love to see this happen but i think bernie will not approve of the track and they will have alot

of resufacing to do and get it too F1 standards all in 2 years? I don't think so btu i would love to see

Resurfacing is a normal procedure in any country setting up an F1 track. You think they can't do it here?

Off course they can resurface here but can they do it to the required specifications in the time allowed. Bangkok has mainly concrete roads (with some saggy bitumen roads)with no regard for raised sewers etc.

Personally I think it will be a waste of money.

Edited by thaicbr

Wonder which MP will be lining his pockets on this one!!?!?!?

I wonder which ones wouldnt!

Remember folks. Corruption starts, I mean stops here.

Do you really want to start preaching to the Thais about corruption when in recent years Western companies like Siemens, HSBC, Blackwater, Halliburton, ING, Standard Chartered and others have kept their executives out of jail and maintained their access to lucrative markets (Federal procurement in Siemens' case) by paying fines in out of court settlements after being caught under the FCPA,for Money Laudering, Embargo breaches and so on. If that isn't corruption what is? Hardly sets a good example does it? Thailand even has a better rating in the Corruption Perception Index than EU member Greece.

How do you know what level of corruption exists in the Thai government? No idea I guess like every other TV poster unless they are involved.

Perhaps the Thai MPs follow the example of their UK counterparts with their fraudulant expense claims! But that's graft not corruption isn't it? Anyway I hope it happens.Seeing F1 cars with a backdrop of some BKK landmarks will be more interesting than seeing them in Qatar IMO

• Like 2

Preposterous spectacle and risk to drivers, roadside fans, and tourists. Thais cannot be relied on to provide world class security and safety. Very high risk. All sorts of risks. F1 should look elsewhere. Despite Red Bull's deep pockets, Thailand is a loser. Red Bull also has had a lot of negative publicity surrounding the hit and run killing of a cop and dragging his living or dead body through the streets - F1 style in a Ferrari.

This will definitely happen, and most likely be a great success. Too many whinging farangs on here who think Thais can't do things. But all the farangs on here can do is constantly whine and whinge. Don't you have anything better to do with your lives?

Be fair, we dont think it, we KNOW it!!

yeah well being a fan of f1, i will anticipate being there and seeing it live in bangkok.

i just hope i dont have a negative <deleted> like you beside me when i do.

next time you take a good look around places like dubai and singapore, ask yourself who built it. It most certainly wasn't the locals.

Edited by candypants
  • Like 1

I will tell you why, Singapore has the best public transport (MRT & bus) system in the world. If the price of a new car is 6 times that of the western world, then there surely is a plan B. You can travel underground through most of the country, MRT or walking. Where can you do that in Bangkok? Would love to see the F1 here though, by god, it would cause a mess!

This will definitely happen, and most likely be a great success. Too many whinging farangs on here who think Thais can't do things. But all the farangs on here can do is constantly whine and whinge. Don't you have anything better to do with your lives?

Speak for your self tourist. What do you KNOW? You obviously haven't worked here

yeah well being a fan of f1, i will anticipate being there and seeing it live in bangkok.

i just hope i dont have a negative <deleted> like you beside me when i do.

next time you take a good look around places like dubai and singapore, ask yourself who built it. It most certainly wasn't the locals.

I have not been to Dubai, but I lived in Singapore for 2yrs. Yes so true, without foreign labour, the country would cease to propogate. A country of 5.5 mill, 2.5 mill is foreign workers. every new shopping mall/MRT station is built by foreigners (less fortunate peoples), every single bar/restaurant you eat in is manned by foreign workers. Every maid the hi-so's have is foreign. Some of you talk about Thailand being racist, Re: posts (I am still the Farang) but you want to see real racism in Asia, Singapore is the place.

I have been to the Sing F1 and it was great. If Bangkok could put on half of this, benefits gained through cultural enrichment, tourism receipts and national pride would far outweigh any negative comments some tired old Farangs have with life!

• Like 1

For your information, they actually close down the streets/circuit for the duration of the event, qualifiers to main event. They are too big an organisation to take a risk. What if someone throws oil or marbles on travk during day, then open track at night?

Many, many years ago I was told that Thailand had once planned an F1 track in the Phuket but some of their ideas were completely unacceptable to the F1 bosses who then nipped over the border to Malaysia where they were met with total co-operation and Sepang was custom built. It was said Thailand wanted import duty paid on the cars despite not being for sale but the duty would be refunded after the teams minus an " administrative " fee. I can't vouch for the truth of this but it does sound so Thai.

Three words, Thap Phraya Rd.

cheesy.gif