Shin - Temasek Deal

I have given this story little attention, as I assumed it's just a matter of time until Thaksin's corruption will come out into the open.

However, another side of it quite surprised me. That is the hostility in the Thai public against Temasek buying Shin, and against Singapore in general. "Temasek Get Out", "Thailand is not for Sale" are two signs carried by Thai demonstrators in front of the Singapore Embassy yesterday. Some called for boycotting Singapore products altogether.

A Singaporian friend of mine told me he really feels unsafe in Bangkok due to recent events. He now prefers to tell Thais he is from HK rather than Singapore.

I must say it doesn't make me feel very comfortble as a foreigner doing business in Thailand. I'd like to believe that, after satisfying all the extra requirements set for foreigners to do business here, we can compete freely in the local market.

Do you think these views are common or belong to small groups?

Do you think these views are common or belong to small groups?

I would say : VERY common.

The situation is simple : all asian countries are nationalists/racists (like it was in Europe at the begining of 20 century (with WW1 as an effect)).

To summarize : Thailand, but also Cambodia, Vietnam etc.... are like Europe 100 years ago.

They might have skyscrapers and nice BMW, but they have way too much peasants in their population, and an educative system that is a total farce.