The Chinese A̶r̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ Are Here!

WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with the observation about the younger generation being way more socially savvy in general.

I've found all the Chinese I've come across generally polite and fun to talk to. Quite a few times visiting friends of mine have climbed into a songtaew to find they are the only non Chinese on there. Every time the Chinese have been polite and sociable.

Another observation is that just about every foreign university is stuffed full of Chinese. They are paying big money in big numbers to get a foreign education. The Chinese demographic in the demographic (ie the types of Chinese people) is going to change very rapidly.

I would agree with the observation about the younger generation being way more socially savvy in general.

I've found all the Chinese I've come across generally polite and fun to talk to. Quite a few times visiting friends of mine have climbed into a songtaew to find they are the only non Chinese on there. Every time the Chinese have been polite and sociable.

Another observation is that just about every foreign university is stuffed full of Chinese. They are paying big money in big numbers to get a foreign education. The Chinese demographic in the demographic (ie the types of Chinese people) is going to change very rapidly.

I have to sit back and laugh at the whole language thing. It wasn't to long ago that all we heard was the Thais have to learn English it is the language of business. What it boils down to is probably 5 or 6 percent will have to know English.

Now we have all these Chinese coming and people are talking (myself included a little bit) about learning Chinese. I am not a big supporter of either but I do know that China has the most English speaking people of any country in the world.

"I am not a big supporter of either but I do know that China has the most English speaking people of any country in the world."

Better talk to India about that one.

And as we all know, India will soon surpass China in human population heading to who knows where.

Probably safe to say India will soon see 1.8 billion, many of them English speakers,

If you can call that English.

to all those with real or imaginary "friends" who think Chinese customers are troublesome, problematic, cheap etc etc etc. please tell us the name of these businesses for the public record. I will gladly arrange it to be translated and posted on weibo our some other Chinese site so the Chinese customers know which businesses to avoid thus saving a lot of hassles for these businesses. It's a win win situation isn't it ?

Yes I think that's the answer, let them post the list, then when my Chinese friends come they can avoid the places that consider them to be filthy and stingy!

Would you like them to have to wear a badge or get a permanent tattoo for expressing their opinion as well?

This isn't China and it's world class level of speech suppression.

It's totally free and acceptable for anyone to express unadulterated contempt for their customer. Conversely, it is equally fair to have customers choose and vote with their Yuans on a fully informed basis. By all means wear a badge if you want to express your low opinion of some customers...just be ready for the consequences. I don't like businesses and people who don't put their money where their mouths are.

Well why don't you want to tell your customers some tips to be better visitors?

Reputations are largely earned.

You seem much more interested in punishing people who have a few criticisms of your customers.

Heavy handed and immature but not surprising.

"I am not a big supporter of either but I do know that China has the most English speaking people of any country in the world."

Better talk to India about that one.

And as we all know, India will soon surpass China in human population heading to who knows where.

Probably safe to say India will soon see 1.8 billion, many of them English speakers,

If you can call that English.

They are predicting 2050 when India surpasses China for population. I highly doubt that India will get that 1.8 billion people by then. India does not have the room for that many people. Remember China is the third largest country in the world.

The 2012 census puts

China at 1,354,040,000 and

India at 1,210,193,422

A business cannot price their wares to attract frugal customers and then have disdain for those customers' uncouthness. Frugalness doesn't have to go hand-in-hand with uncouthness, but the fact is that frugal people are more likely to be uncouth.

If a business doesn't want such clients, then simply charge a higher price and, in return, provide a service to match.

I was told that true Hindus believe that every visitor to one's abode or business is as a god descending with their blessings and it behooves the host to treat them accordingly, lest the gods stop visiting and withhold their blessings. Now I'm not a superstitious person at all (because being superstitious is unlucky!), but I quite like the idea of treating all one's guests as gods—it seems the right thing to do.

T

Incidentally.....for you business owners out there.

Ask your friendy young Chinese guests to translate your menus / rules blah blah into Mandarin for you. Go buy a couple of bottles of Johnnie Walker and have a drink with them when they finish.

For those of you that are having problems, it will be the cheapest 1500 baht you have ever spent......for those with restaurants and the like, being able to hand over a menu in Mandarin will be a great boon.

All you have to do is remember the meal number and what it corresponds to. Not exactly rocket science but knowing you lot you'll end up giving them a packet of crisps dipped in fish sauce.

Don't blame if that happens, you know, horse, water???

Just sayin'.

• Like 1

Hello Hellodolly,

It is easy to read the best estimates and projections of India's population just by going to the relevant websites such as WHO and India's government studies.

Please take a look at the demography studies. There are many scenarios but the most accurate and accepted prognostications suggest there will be very close to 1.8 billion living in India by 2050.

You say there is not enough room but that is not true given high rates of urbanization.

The real limiting factors are water, water, and water.

The aquifers in India are being used up at an alarming rate as you probably know. There are Indian farmers there now who are having really difficult times with their crops going into debt and drinking insecticide to end it all.

BUT, 1.8 Billion is a very solid figure.

If you want to read more, please go to the WHO figures or the UN figures, or you can go to this PDF download which outlines the India's demographics into 2050.

Happy reading.

Or, I should say, sobering reading.

http://www.prb.org/pdf07/FuturePopulationofIndia.pdf

95% FULL and mostly Chinese passengers? And still just the tip of the iceberg.

Boeing and Airbus have understandably apparently done almost anything to stay in the Chinese market, including transfer of sensitive technology.

It seems obvious that if the Chinese economy holds up we will experience a true boom in Chinese travel like nothing that has ever been seen so far.

We will have Chinese coming out of the woodwork, no doubt.

But I knew this was coming, way back when I was a young man decades ago at university trying to decide on the best language to study - we were compelled to choose one.

I chose Chinese simply because I love Asia and also because Chinese is spoken almost everywhere, and by not a few people.

I still say that I probably made a wise choice about which language to study. No matter where I go, I can always find someone who speaks either Chinese or English.

Thai though? Not too many speak Thai. But what the heck? Might as well live a little.

I bought myself a refresher Mandarin course at the weekend, I've decided that if there are going to be plane loads of hot Chinese ladies flying in to CM I'll be having a competitive advantage.

I'm very clever you know coffee1.gif

Edited by theblether
  • Like 1

to all those with real or imaginary "friends" who think Chinese customers are troublesome, problematic, cheap etc etc etc. please tell us the name of these businesses for the public record. I will gladly arrange it to be translated and posted on weibo our some other Chinese site so the Chinese customers know which businesses to avoid thus saving a lot of hassles for these businesses. It's a win win situation isn't it ?

what a drama queen.

I think if they want to cut back on certain tourists they can just say they are full or make case by case decisions

Most businesses will still probably prefer low quality customers to no customers.

It doesn't work that way. You have little chance of running a successful hotel or guesthouse unless you accept internet bookings through third parties such as hotels.com. At least these internet businesses charge much less commission than tuk-tuk drivers. And there is some screening after the fact; a Chinese trio that booked as a couple and insisted they be allowed a third adult in a two person room were rejected and had to find somewhere else to stay during Songkran.

As to doggie888888888888888888888's kind offer to post on weibo, I think my friends (not imaginary) would rather deal with this situation without his help. It is an interesting idea and I will check with them; since one of the guesthouse partners is Chinese he can probably write his own weibo post. The partners don't object to all Chinese customers, they object to all rude, argumentative customers who don't follow posted rules and damage the rooms. They just noted that the older Chinese customers are more likely to fit this description. They also aren't so hard up for business that they won't throw out troublesome guests of any nationality. Several months ago a French couple who had a long, loud, late night argument were looking for new accomodations the next morning, even though it was the low season and the guesthouse had many empty rooms.

This may be a dumb question, no doubt. But why not go directly to the source in China and contract with some travel companies there. This way you might have much more control over what sort of clientele were invited in. If you had repeat tour groups coming in from China, then 2 or more guesthouses could cooperate to provide more rooms. I have no idea, but this might be one way to keep a guesthouse filled, by providing services through one or more reputable travel companies in China. No doubt this has already been tried.

I like what theblether say although I think I have homegrown advantage speaking fluent Mandarin,Cantonese & Hokkien...55555 it's an interesting language to learn as the history tied to many of the mandarin words is interesting...once you mastered that, you will find Japanese distinctly easy to read as most words are adapted from that and you will find the baility to read basic signs in Japan/

Once you get used to the shouting, you will find as many have here on this forum, pleased to find there are many well dressed, well mannered Chinese you can have a conversation with. The mad rush of these booking cities makes everything into a rush for speed, noise volume to be heard and be the first to be served. THe good thing is we dont have to engage the entire population of 1.3 billion.

In my line of work. I have met many interesting chinese who are more cultured than the louts we have in the streets this days and like any other country the good comes with the bad. you just have to look at the right places to find like minded people to interact with

The projects I am dealing with is just the tip of the iceberg of what to come for many years. I am sorry for those who dont like to hear the truth, it's just reality and the realists are making a burden out of it and moving further away to the relative peace of the "Sawadee krup"

I like the balance of the crazy city buzz of making business there and running back to CM for the peace and quiet.

This may be a dumb question, no doubt. But why not go directly to the source in China and contract with some travel companies there. This way you might have much more control over what sort of clientele were invited in. If you had repeat tour groups coming in from China, then 2 or more guesthouses could cooperate to provide more rooms. I have no idea, but this might be one way to keep a guesthouse filled, by providing services through one or more reputable travel companies in China. No doubt this has already been tried.

The biggest boys there are CTS and unfortunately they are bound by the local consumer laws to state the "star" grading of the accommodation and most guesthouses here will not meet their criteria.

CTS is also bound from a face value perspective to deal with only branded chains...Lemeriden in CM has the distinct advantage and for many years to come in CM in the night mkt area is reaping the rates above all other hotels...the owner is making a nice investment and return and he is not looking back from the first handshake ...

I like what theblether say although I think I have homegrown advantage speaking fluent Mandarin,Cantonese & Hokkien...55555 it's an interesting language to learn as the history tied to many of the mandarin words is interesting...once you mastered that, you will find Japanese distinctly easy to read as most words are adapted from that and you will find the baility to read basic signs in Japan/

Once you get used to the shouting, you will find as many have here on this forum, pleased to find there are many well dressed, well mannered Chinese you can have a conversation with. The mad rush of these booking cities makes everything into a rush for speed, noise volume to be heard and be the first to be served. THe good thing is we dont have to engage the entire population of 1.3 billion.

In my line of work. I have met many interesting chinese who are more cultured than the louts we have in the streets this days and like any other country the good comes with the bad. you just have to look at the right places to find like minded people to interact with

The projects I am dealing with is just the tip of the iceberg of what to come for many years. I am sorry for those who dont like to hear the truth, it's just reality and the realists are making a burden out of it and moving further away to the relative peace of the "Sawadee krup"

I like the balance of the crazy city buzz of making business there and running back to CM for the peace and quiet.

Did I mention I've just bought myself a refresher Mandarin course??

Oh those Chinese girls wub.png

Edited by theblether
  • Like 2

And, Lawrence,

With all these languages you speak, how are we to know whether you are Wu Wu Wu Wuing, or Haa Haa Haa Haaing when you write something like this?::

"55555 it's an interesting language to learn"

Would you please kindly just supply us with another code so we know?

They start taking the moment they board the plane. Blankets, fork, spoon and even life jacket !!

I saw exactly the same thing done by An old Chinese lady on a Cathay Pacific flight from Hong Kong.

When I saw the life vest go, I thought to myself, "you've got to be <deleted> kidding me."

• Like 1