One For Fans Of Vegetarian Food

femi fan

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, many thanks to the OP I will check this place- the management will wonder why so many old farang

suddenly appear.

Incidentally, to the OP- what is a 'femi fan'- a younger version,or son of, a 'fela fan',maybe?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, correct! I used to be fela fan on another board in britain, but when i tried to set it up on thaivisa something went wrong, can't remember what now, and so i couldn't be fela fan, so since femi does some excellent music too, it was an easy name to move onto!

Well, i've just got back from chiang dao, and it is great to see so many people have tried it out and enjoyed the food. A business that serves up really good food, at good prices, with good service, and in a beautiful garden (or air-con for those who need it!), it would have been a terrible thing to see it go bust, which is the fate of so many places in chiang mai.

I was hopeful when she told us her family owned the place, because at least it meant they wouldn't be subjected to any greedy landlords who put prices up to high for businesses to succeed here.

Anyway, i hope you all keep going. As for me, i'm going to struggle to get anything new after having experienced her hua plee salad.

As for all those directions issues, really, it's so bloody easy if one just gets down to chang klan road!

Happy eating.

• Like 1

As for all those directions issues, really, it's so bloody easy if one just gets down to chang klan road!

Walked along there today, lots of farangs walking to and fro, looking at the ground and mumbling things like "did they say opposite", "is it down a soi", "which hospital where?".......quite a sight to behold. wink.png

• Like 2

Just had lunch with a couple of other bicyclists. The food was enjoyable but not necessarily much more than other vegetarian places. I previously wrote that the sign size was small to medium. I guess I need glasses. It is rather large so you can't miss it if you are across the street from the KFC bah.gif joint.

Edited by vagabond48

Just had lunch with a couple of other bicyclists. The food was enjoyable but not necessarily much more than other vegetarian places. I previously wrote that the sign size was small to medium. I guess I need glasses. It is rather large so you can't miss it if you are across the street from the KFC bah.gif joint.

I agree about the food, not bad but not great eather. The garden is nice though if you except the flies and small bee like insects who joined us, entertaining!

I agree about the food, not bad but not great eather.

As long as we are being honest, I don't find any of the Thai vegetarian places to be more than just OK. I eat for it for health reasons and to save money, not because it is especially delicious. ohmy.png

Ate there just a bit more than an hour before they close today. As they were out of rice there was only a few meal choices. Had Suki and it was fine, nice fresh veg. The broth was quite salty most probably from reducing from being kept hot all day. Also there is no real excuse to not having rice esp. when you have fried rice on one's menu as it uses precooked (day old if you please) rice anyway. The people were quite nice and really seemed to care that my visit was enjoyable. So this place deserves the due it's getting. I think it was once said that real Thainess requires two qualities, wanting and able to eat at least every 49 min. and having the uncontrollable urge to tell other ppl. where to park and if this is true, which are not bad things after all, the lady who is sitting on the front porch of the tour company a few doors down is having her 15 min. of fame!

Edited by junglechef
  • Like 1

As long as we are being honest, I don't find any of the Thai vegetarian places to be more than just OK. I eat for it for health reasons and to save money, not because it is especially delicious. ohmy.png

Have you tried Beetroot Stories in the old city? Closed until the 25th of this month, but their vegetarian massaman curry is fantastic.

Not even Pun Pun?

Ate there just a bit more than an hour before they close today. As they were out of rice there was only a few meal choices. Had Suki and it was fine, nice fresh veg. The broth was quite salty most probably from reducing from being kept hot all day. Also there is no real excuse to not having rice esp. when you have fried rice on one's menu as it uses precooked (day old if you please) rice anyway. The people were quite nice and really seemed to care that my visit was enjoyable. So this place deserves the due it's getting. I think it was once said that real Thainess requires two qualities, wanting and able to eat at least every 49 min. and having the uncontrollable urge to tell other ppl. where to park and if this is true, which are not bad things after all, the lady who is sitting on the front porch of the tour company a few doors down is having her 15 min. of fame!

Since I previously mentioned that I'd go try to find it and report back on how hard it is to find all I have to say is "Really???" I took a blind date and she saw the sign.

Not even Pun Pun?

I like the atmosphere at Pun Pun, but do not find the food to be any better than other Thai vegetarian places. Of course, I have not tried all the dishes there, but the ones that I chose were not especially impressive. I really miss the vegetarian restaurants back home with a variety of cuisines.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The 2 folks that were with me, practically live at the Pun Pun on Suthep road. They also found the food at this new place to be good. To be fair to this place, we only had 3 dishes between us. My friends noted that the pricing was cheaper than Pun Pun but that may be because Pun Pun uses organic vegetables. Outside of the using the word "healthy" on their menu, we did not see the word "organic".

My wife and I normally go to the Chinese Veg place past Chiang Mai gate next to the Kodak store. We normally enjoy the food they offer at a fairly inexpensive price (rice with 4 side dishes for 35 baht). For a change of pace, we will go to this place every so often.

Perhaps they ran out of rice after being bombarded with many more punters than they have been used to. They probably wonder what on earth has happened suddenly! I shall tell her the story when i get back there.

It was strange to learn of flies and bees having the audacity to be doing their flying business in the garden area. Who would have thought it?!!

Is unusual yes.. though at least that means they don't add to the styrofoam tsunami. Guess you could just bring some bags or tupperware boxes and pack it after ordering (or let them pack it; not sure what the issue is.).

Did I say there is an issue?

I thought I just said, it's unusual.

Bloody restaurant, went in and they refused to give food to go, what sort of restaurant is that, I'll never go again............that's an issue. biggrin.png

Edited by uptheos

The missus popped in there today, but was told they don't do food to go, which is unusual.

BTW it was empty at the time.

That's strange, as I saw people getting take-away when I dined there. Maybe they ran out of boxes too!

The missus popped in there today, but was told they don't do food to go, which is unusual.

That's strange, as I saw people getting take-away when I dined there. Maybe they ran out of boxes too!

Just stating the facts, nothing but the facts......maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

I had food to go from them. In big boxes.

Is unusual yes.. though at least that means they don't add to the styrofoam tsunami. Guess you could just bring some bags or tupperware boxes and pack it after ordering (or let them pack it; not sure what the issue is.).

Bloody restaurant, went in and they refused to give food to go, what sort of restaurant is that, I'll never go again............that's an issue. biggrin.png

They certainly have food to go - I often bring food home from there - perhaps as others have guessed they ran out of boxes?

They certainly have food to go - I often bring food home from there - perhaps as others have guessed they ran out of boxes?

Quite likely, it certainly has become popular.

Perhaps they ran out of rice after being bombarded with many more punters than they have been used to. They probably wonder what on earth has happened suddenly! I shall tell her the story when i get back there.

It was strange to learn of flies and bees having the audacity to be doing their flying business in the garden area. Who would have thought it?!!

Perhaps along with a thousand other possibilities of why, such they didn't make enough etc., but they weren't making any either. It doesn't take too long to make a small batch and defiantly less than an hour which was the amount of time they were still open when I arrived. I don't expect food service professionals preparing dishes for 40 bht but also it was worth mentioning since I was posting what happened on my visit. I hope for both their sake and the ppl. who posted that they like the place and hope that it can stay afloat they can foresee that if the rice is running low and be able throw on a quick batch to get them thru the day. I wonder, as a previous poster did, why some places, their angle was vegetarian places, close at 5 pm. Keeping the same hours as a office is not really suited to a restaurant as I was the only one there at 4 pm and people get off of work and might want to eat right after they close at 5 pm. Just another observation, perhaps ...

Ah sorry, I didn't mean "not sure why you think this is an issue", I meant "not sure what the issue was for the restaurant that they couldn't provide takeaway."

I was there earlier today (yes, again) and talked with the lady who's the main chef. One of the things she's considering for the future is to deliver food to people in the area where she lives. (Hang Dong area)

I like her. :)

post-64232-0-24692600-1367660485_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 2 folks that were with me, practically live at the Pun Pun on Suthep road. They also found the food at this new place to be good. To be fair to this place, we only had 3 dishes between us. My friends noted that the pricing was cheaper than Pun Pun but that may be because Pun Pun uses organic vegetables. Outside of the using the word "healthy" on their menu, we did not see the word "organic".

My wife and I normally go to the Chinese Veg place past Chiang Mai gate next to the Kodak store. We normally enjoy the food they offer at a fairly inexpensive price (rice with 4 side dishes for 35 baht). For a change of pace, we will go to this place every so often.

nice and affordable!

will check them out if i get the chance.

+1 for vegetarian food. :)