Indian Recommendations In Bangkok

Green

I usually eat at the emporium Indian place on the 5th floor (next to Sunrise tacos), tasty and beautiful nan. Was in the nana area today and felt like eating Indian food, saw many places, but I was alone and just wanted one of those set platters, 2-400 baht would be ok. Any recommendations? Any area...

Indian friend recommended a couple of places on sukumvit soi 22, also said that the food here was better than in India!

Anyone tried dosa king on soi 11?

Yes, its excellent South Indian food. Always humming with an Indian clientele.

I've tried many of the Indians in Bangkok... From Rang Mahal (top of the Rembrant hotel), Mrs Balabir's, Planet Bollywood, Indian Host etc...

I'd consider the nicest for Indian food, service, decor, atmosphere etc to be Indus on Sukhumvit 26.... (but its also a dash on the pricey side).

At the emporium the other night, 5th floor, veg set and sweet lassi, 350B. Very good, fantastic butter nan, great lassi, quiet, never busy. Indian friend said yeah its fine, tasty, nothing wrong with it.

Indian friend recommended a couple of places on sukumvit soi 22, also said that the food here was better than in India!

Anyone tried dosa king on soi 11?

Yes, its excellent South Indian food. Always humming with an Indian clientele.

We ate there recently and found the curries average. Great masala dosa though!

Is Mrs Balabir's the one with a chain of small booth in various shopping centers? I think I tried them at Central Chitlom on the ground floor in the Tops super market - worst ever unfortunately, just terrible.

Indus is good

Mrs Balbir is good

Rang Mahal is good

Dosa King for the Dosa

The one inside The Face is also good (I forget the name of the restaurant)

himali chacha also good

Ate at India Today once. Wasn't bad.

Interestingly, the limited Indian menu at the Cross bar was also good. (Surprised me.... Wouldn't have thought of ordering Indian in a pub in bkk, but tried some of my friends curry....)

But my favorite still remains Royal India

(Not eaten in some of the above for sometime, so hopefully they are all still ok. These days I frequent rang mahal, mrs Balbir and royal India more than the others)

• Like 1

Rang Mahal is on top of the Rembrandt Hotel in Soi 18. Ive never ordered a veg set, I go for the sunday brunch... 850 net per person

Royal India - its in Mahajak road in Pahurat. again, never ordered a veg dish there, and cant remember how much their Thali might be. but Im guessing less than 200 baht for the veg, and possibly just under 200 for the meat thali too.

their prices went up slightly in the last year, but prior to that I recall paying only 600 to 700 for 4 people (small eaters, but still quite cheap). last year went back with two lads, who have a bigger appetite.....the bill might have been something like 1500 for 3? but this was with a LOT of meat dishes

Is Mrs Balabir's the one with a chain of small booth in various shopping centers? I think I tried them at Central Chitlom on the ground floor in the Tops super market - worst ever unfortunately, just terrible.

Concur. I had a meal from one of her chains at Platinum Shopping Plaza next to Pantip and it was dreadful. Doesn't she care about what it does to her name and reputation?

Bk restaurant suk rd soi phra khanong between soi 3-5 .80 baht for the vege thali ,90 baht for the non vege thali .lassi 30 baht .enjoy - g

Coincidentally just ate there for the first time. Had a veg thali. Not bad, not very good. Cheap. Very nice people. Nowhere near as good as the 100 baht veg thali at balbirs in Robinson Asoke food court.

I'll go back to try the Burmese food though.

sukhumvit 71 between Soi 3 and 5.

Concur. I had a meal from one of her chains at Platinum Shopping Plaza next to Pantip and it was dreadful. Doesn't she care about what it does to her name and reputation?

Yeah. Those two are not so good.

Punjabi sweets in Prahurat. NOT the one down the side of India Emporium. There is another. Stand with your back to the main entrance to India Emporium and you will see a tiny soi opposite you. Head down there and it is on the left.

Do note, however, that it is truly Veg (i.e. not non-veg). As such it is famous in the Indian communities across Bangkok. Sadly this still doesn't compare to the Indian food in KL and that does not compare to Indian food in India. Still, I go back time and again ;)

anyone been to 'sara's' on soi 22? Told it was around the corner from dominoes but couldn't find it. There was a place called Myra's, I think that must have been it, all vegetarian, supposed to be good and cheap.

saras was excellent, if there are other places comparable to that please recommend. I had a huge set with lassi, 390B, much bigger and better than what I have had at the emporium and about 40B more. I arrived there before 8pm and about 8pm it completely filled up. They have a beautiful lay out of sweets and the service was fine. I didn't quite get what was 'self-serve' about it, perhaps thats for take away...

• 2 weeks later...

There's Hot Curry, past Saras, further down Soi 20, on the right hand side.

They have pretty good Non-Veg North Indian cuisine.

I also like Indian Hut, which is on Surawong Road, a little more upscale and expensive, compared with Saras.

I believe they're expanding, as the last I was there, they were building a second multi-storey building across the street, also entitled 'Indian Hut'.

I almost forgot, there's a new-ish Indian restaurant, on the Nana BTS station itself, beside one of the exits. Anyone checked that out?

I wouldn't say it's the best in BKK due to lack of atmosphere etc, but i had the best Indian in the MBK food court. Its a small kiosk. The best Lamb Madras i've had in Thailand.

Not somewhere to take the Mrs for a splash up meal. However if your out on your own and get a taste for it, i really recommend it.

I wouldn't say it's the best in BKK due to lack of atmosphere etc, but i had the best Indian in the MBK food court. Its a small kiosk. The best Lamb Madras i've had in Thailand.

Not somewhere to take the Mrs for a splash up meal. However if your out on your own and get a taste for it, i really recommend it.

MBK has two food courts, one low-so and one high-so. The high-so one is i think called The Loft. Which one do you mean? I had one curry from the low-so one before but found the content of meat very low and the price pretty high, for what you got anyway.

MBK has two food courts, one low-so and one high-so. The high-so one is i think called The Loft. Which one do you mean? I had one curry from the low-so one before but found the content of meat very low and the price pretty high, for what you got anyway.

The high-so one, where you pay at the end. Give it a try and let me know how it was.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello People!

You can try

Indus in Sukhumvit Soi 26

Bawarchi in Sukhumvit Soi 11 as well as Intercontinental Hotel in Ploenchit

Rang Mahal in Rembrandt Hotel sukhumvit soi 18 (THE BEST)

Indian Hut In Silom, Mahaesak (2nd Best)

Tandoor in Holiday Inn Silom

There are several others around the corners but these are one of the best ones in town. will keep you guys posted!! cheers