Govt Prohibits Live Bird Imports At Border Checkpoints

Lite Beer

Govt prohibits live bird imports at border checkpoints
Pongphon Sarnsamak
The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) has ordered its officials at border check-points across the country not to allow people to bring live birds into the Kingdom, in a bid to prevent the spread of the H7N9 bird-flu virus.

Meanwhile, Public Health officials nationwide have been urged to be vigilant against the spread of H7N9 after Taiwan reported the world's first deadly case outside mainland China.

The strict measures come after health authorities learned that the number of confirmed human infections in China has risen in the past few weeks.

DNP deputy director-general Theerapat Prayoonsith said he had instructed his officials nationwide to tighten surveillance measures to counter the spread of H7N9, especially in border areas.

"Live avian imports are not allowed into the Kingdom, especially from H7N9 influenza-affected countries," he said.

Since earlier this year, the DNP has randomly tested over 1,300 migratory birds and birds in their natural habitats for the bird-flu virus. The laboratory results found no avian influenza in birds living in their natural habitats.

According to the World Health Organisation, as of Thursday, a total of 109 lab-confirmed cases of human infection with the avian influenza A (H7N9) virus, including 22 deaths, had been reported to the WHO. People in contact with the confirmed cases are being closely monitored.

On Thursday, the WHO reported that one laboratory-confirmed case of human infection with the virus had been reported by the Taipei Centres for Disease Control (CDC).

The patient is a 53-year-old man who had been working in Jiangsu province in mainland China from March 28 to April 9. He returned from Jiangsu via Shanghai on April 9 and fell ill on April 12. The patient was tested positive for the virus on April 24.

Though the WHO itself does not advise special screening for the virus at points of entry, nor does it recommend that any travel or trade restrictions be applied. Public Health Minister Dr Pradit Sinthawanarong has instructed medical workers at state hospitals nationwide to closely observe people who develop influenza-like symptoms. In particular, patients with severe pneumonia and those who have recently come back from travelling abroad are to be monitored.

To prevent the spread of the virus in the future, medical workers are urged to collect samples from people developing severe respiratory symptoms with unknown causes; people with pneumonia who have recently come back from abroad; medical workers who develop pneumonia; and groups of people who develop pneumonia in the community.

Pradit has also instructed the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation to keep a reserve of the anti-viral medicine Oseltamivir for those people who could be affected by the virus. Meanwhile, hospitals across country have been told to prepare special rooms for patients suffering from the viral infection.

He also suggested people who have recently come back from travelling abroad who develop influenza-like symptoms undergo treatment immediately and inform a doctor about their travel plans.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-28

This ban should work. I've personally emailed millions of birds not to fly over the borders. whistling.gif

In this instance delete bird and insert chook, fowl , poultry.

I'm sure like every other ban, prohibition and general laws here this ban will be flexible and negotiable for the appropriate consideration

22 deaths globally and a knee jerk reaction by Thailand... Boring... coffee1.gif

On the basis that cp controls a huge wedge of the Chinese chicken market and a huge wedge of the Thai market, they are more than aware of the costs of contaminating the Thai market.

It would cost billions, in chicken alone let alone human cost.

22 deaths globally and a knee jerk reaction by Thailand... Boring... coffee1.gif

You may call it a knee jerk reaction but Thailand has done this before several years ago on the more mundane Bird Flue epidemic version and it worked. This virus is the worse one yet. Even other countries in Europe and the North America are taking note because this virus has the potential of spreading even in processed birds. Has not occurred yet but threat is there. China has even gone so far as accusing America and other countries of starting (planting) it in China. If you could how the Chinese raised their chickens you might understand how it gets started. I personally wouldn't even want to get near a Chinese Chicken. Talk about filth!

This ban should work. I've personally emailed millions of birds not to fly over the borders. whistling.gif

The virus outbreak is in mainland China. Migratory birds have been testing negative so it is not likely that infected birds will come across the border unless they transported. The chain of deduction here is certainly not taxing. I do hope that you will have the courtesy to email an apology to those millions of birds whose feathers you have ruffled.tongue.png

The virus outbreak is in mainland China. Migratory birds have been testing negative so it is not likely that infected birds will come across the border unless they transported. The chain of deduction here is certainly not taxing. I do hope that you will have the courtesy to email an apology to those millions of birds whose feathers you have ruffled.tongue.png

I think I'll just tweet an all clear. :rolleyes: