Searching For Hand Carved Wood Sources

I'm coming to Thailand and want to locate sources for hand carved large wooden peices to ship to USA.

Folks here have proven to be helpful with shipping questions, so I thought I'd just throw it out there and see if anyone knows of good companies or artisan areas that carve wood.

I plan to visit Hang Dong (name :o ) and Ban Thawai.

Ban Thawai isn't on my map so I still need to find it.

Anybody know where else I should look?

I'm coming to Thailand and want to locate sources for hand carved large wooden peices to ship to USA.

Folks here have proven to be helpful with shipping questions, so I thought I'd just throw it out there and see if anyone knows of good companies or artisan areas that carve wood.

I plan to visit Hang Dong (name :o ) and Ban Thawai.

Ban Thawai isn't on my map so I still need to find it.

Anybody know where else I should look?

Best place is Hang dong, also around that area, i use to ship 40 footers into the UK, i use to buy most of my goods around this area, also are you after wagon wheels as i have about 100 in a yard, just outside hang dong, the guy who owns the yard is an americam from montanna, he makes 6 foot wooden indians and cowboys, ideal for the states, i use to buy these off him and sell em to bars in the UK, that do country and western evenings, also if you want somebody to take you around these places i have another mate who has a shop in Hang dong, let me know and i will forward you numbers and e-mails,

In this area you can get about everything from backscratchers to carved full size rhinos, its the place.

you mean BANTAWAI, this is in Hang Dong i have one of my suppliers adresses and it is

99 Bantawai moo 2

Khunkong

Hangdong

Chaing-mai

hope this helps, send us a postmark.

Edited by Thaicoon

Just before you reach Lampang, coming from Bangkok, make a right turn to Mae Tha, there are numerous places there that hand carve all manner of things from teak. Just drive through and you'll see them.

Thanks Sierra1, I'll put it on our itinerary too.

Great help -thanks to all. I hope to give some business to ThaiVisa hands.