Visa Transfer Needed Or Not?

Hey, anyone has experience?

My current passport has very few pages left. If I get a new passport, must I go to immigration office and transfer the visa (for long stay in Thailand till Dec 2013 ) to my new passport ? Or I can use new passport and visa on old passport at the same time?

I ask this because my father is quite sick back home. If some day I must fly back at once, and my new passport is still in the immigration office in the process of visa transfer (I don't know how long is the process either), that would be horrible !!! ....

Thanks

No visas are transferred, your extension to stay is transferred or if you are here where you need to do a border crossing then you take the old one and when you return into Thailand you make sure they stamp the new one.

Also if you are on an extension it is done within minutes of you applying for the transfer.

Sorry, my mistake. I did not write clearly.

My current visa is a 2 year multiple entry visa valid till Dec, 2013. I got this visa because my husband is now working her for a few years.

.....Hmmm, I definitely remember such visa transfer due to passport change exists......

.....Hmmm, I definitely remember such visa transfer due to passport change exists......

Err no you dont..immigration doesnt trasfer visa's, they will transfer your current permission to stay stamp only, not the visa

And I stand to be corrected, but your visa will not have a 2 year validity either, suspect you are on an extension of stay based on your husbands employment and what you have is a re-entry permit which is extended at immigration each year, in the last 12 months or so have you handed over your passport to your husbands company for renewal ?

Edited by Soutpeel

My current visa is a 2 year multiple entry visa valid till Dec, 2013. I got this visa because my husband is now working her for a few years.

Like a previous poster stated I think you are on a dependent extension of stay from immigration.

Do you do 90 day reports?

In this case you would need to have visa info and entry/permit to stay stamps put into your new passport.

It can only take minutes to have this done.

• Like 1

Do you have to leave Thailand every 90 days? If you do then you just take care of transfer of current stay when you next depart at the departure point and use the visa in old passport for new entries.

But if you have an extension from immigration and making 90 day address reports using TM.47 form you must visit that immigration to have extension transferred - but it is done while you wait. And for any travel you would require a re-entry permit.

• Like 1

I thought that one was supposed to contact one's consulate and get a letter for immigration asking for stamps and visas to be transferred to the new passport? The British consulate provides this letter for free which is a miracle in itself.

I have an old visa (expired and now on retirement extension) and it would be a pain to have to carry both passports when leaving/entering, and also for some services immigration wants both a copy of the original visa and sight of it.

• Like 1

An extension is transferred - a visa is not - and it has nothing to do with Embassy letter (UK Embassy being one of the few not to provide in normal course of new passport issue) which can not make a visa transferable - if you have a multi entry visa in old passport you just have to use both passports for entry during its validity if you want to use it.

• Like 1

An extension of stay will be transferred to a new passport. They will make an annotation in new passport with info about visa that was used to enter the country that gave you the permit to stay that was extended.

A valid visa will not be transferred over. You have to use both passports in this case.

It has nothing to do with any embassy - if you have a Thai extension of stay it is transferred by immigration into your new passport - but if you have a Thai visa entry you exit showing both passports but visa can continue to be used by show of old passport/visa if valid for more entries.

• Like 1

if your husband works here, your visa might be non-O and you might also have multiple re-entry permit.

in my case, i ask the immigration to transfer my visa to my new passport. also my multiple re-entry permit.

• Like 1

if your husband works here, your visa might be non-O and you might also have multiple re-entry permit.

in my case, i ask the immigration to transfer my visa to my new passport. also my multiple re-entry permit.

OP and yourself do not have a visa you have an extension of stay with a re-entry permit.

Immigration does not transfer visas only extensions of stay and will annotate info about the visa that was used for the entry that gave the permit to stay that has since been extended.

• Like 1

It seems to me that the OP's German?. If you still have a few pages left, don't worry. Go to your embassy, should it be the German, it will take around 5 weeks, per express 2 weeks.

Then they'll give you a letter for Immigration and they transfer your old visa/extension of stay into your new passport. Please be aware that you'll have to have an appointment now at the German embassy. You can make one using their website.

Can't just walk in. If you choose not to pay more money for express, it won't take 5 weeks. They'll send you an e-mail when the new one's ready.

Easy to get there from the train station, take the MRT ( subway) go out at Lumpini and walk the 200 meters to the German embassy.

A piece of cake. Good luck!-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Thanks for all above info...Really appreciated.

Just got call from mother. Father is now in ICU, after 1 month in normal ward... I might have to fly back anytime. Now just wait for further notice. So, no time to apply for new passport and visa transfer etc at the moment. Can't take the time risk.

I am just back to Thailand last week from visiting my father. Seems have to fly again soon, and this time, need to bring my 6 month baby with me. She never meet my parents till now.

.... Don't know why I type these. So sad. Life is .....fragile. Pray.

Sorry to hear about your father.

Does your husband get his extension from the One Stop service at Samchuri Square? They are he only ones who give 2 year visas/extensions of stay with multiple entry.

Anyway, as you will get a new passport, simply return to Thailand with current and new passport and when coming back immigration will stamp you in with the new passport and if needed will tell you to visit your immigration office to transfer the necessary details. Do return before Dec. 13 or you will need a new visa.

Just make sure to keep your current passport and that the visa pages are not cut when they make the passport invalid.

Thanks Mario,

I got my 1st 2 year stay permit in Bangkok one stop centre with the NON-O visa obtained outside of Thailand; and the 2nd permit in Rayong immigr. office.

At this critical moment, I will not apply for new passport (takes 3 weeks) and permit transfer . Better use the current passport until things get stable..

Depends on your embassy really, some would attach the old passport to the new and stamping that the visas in the old passport remains valid

Totaly incorrect please do your rescearch

I said depends, (where you're from isn't it) Once I went home to get a new passport while the old visa is still valid, so my country's passport office attach the old passport to the back of the new one and stamp and signed to the effect that this is the passport of the same person, the visas in the old one remains valid

I'm very confused by this:

I have an O-A visa which I get extended every year, last month I went back to the UK and whilst there I got a new passport and when I came through Immigration in Bangkok my new passport was stamped showing entry into Thailand. Last week I went to Immigration in Chiang Mai and extended my O-A visa which was stamped into my new passport, all as expected, I was surprised however to be told to return to Immigration next week and to complete a "transfer of stamp to new passport" using a form with that title but having no Immigration number on it. As things stand all the necessary stamps are in my new passport so what needs to be transfered? The only thing I can think of is that all my Immigration records must currently point to my old passport number and the transfer form is merely to add the new passport number and to redirect those records to it?

There are several stamps that must be made in new passport. Firstly you do not have an O-A visa. You have an extension of stay for retirement (which was started from either an O or O-A visa entry) so information on that entry must be placed into new passport along with the last extension of stay information along with the old passport information. This is routine and no cost and normally done before you use the new passport as people obtain them here and go directly to immigration to take care of this requirement.

Just make sure to keep your current passport and that the visa pages are not cut when they make the passport invalid.

The UK will cut the top right corner (about 12mm) off the old passport thus making it invalid.

Would this affect the validity of the multi entry 'non-o' visa?

I need to get a new passport halfway through the visa validity.

Can't see the UKPA leaving one page uncut.

With the UK renewal of passport you will be required to send it to the regional off, Hong Kong, once they receive it, it is invalid. The process takes anywhere form 4+ weeks, depending on the time of year. Once you get the new one you need to go to your local immigration office and they will transfer your original entry stamp, Visa or what ever it was, plus the last report date and also give you a new stamp for your next report date, this is of course if you are not in between report etc.

They will use up 3.5-4 pages depending on how they stamp the new passport. I have pics based on a Non B bought in the U.K Hull Consulate and the transfer to the new passport. PM with your email,if you want to look.