Is It Better 4 You In The 360 Or 180 Degree Position? Cm Runway!

OldChinaHam

I like planes. But more so when they are not taking off over my head while I am having my massage. Just curious as one who lives near one end of the runway, what activity of yours seems least enhanced by the roar of jet engines overhead?

And do you like it best when the planes land on 360 or on 180?

I like it both ways now that I have my new Bose 15 headgear.

Actually I do not have it quite yet, but it seems as if I already have them on and working now that the jets have just changed direction from 360 to 180.

Do you have any cows that are losing their milk?

Just don't call me when they are on final.

Not the cows.

O.C. Ham

To qualify this a bit:

We are very fortunate to have the airport located close to the city which decreases travel time compared to what is the case in many other cities. Still it is interesting to think about what may be the impact of increasing the number of flights significantly or having these flights take off and land later at night. I don't know what the growth projections for this airport may be. But it is worth a thought when thinking about where to invest and build. I guess nobody really wants an airport in their city even though they like the convenience and the business it brings in.

There is so much ambient noise in Thailand that you'd have to be directly under it to even notice.

Most flights land and take off from / to the South over not very densely populated areas. But those flights that do take off to the North are very noticeable in the Nimman area.

I love to watch them come in over HWY . Its also wild to be in the lot at Big C when they come in ...... I once lived by a very large airport and the planes would come in over the tops of the house we got use to it after a while and it didnt bother us ............ Same as people who live close to the train tracks

Sometimes I am happy to hear the noise from an airplane late in the evening so I don't have to enjoy the karaoke party. laugh.png
Btw, it seems almost the only time of the day we hear them.

Edited by Joop50

I once lived near KaiTak!

Those birds really came in for a landing.

It was often China Airlines that ended up in the drink or upside down though.

Now that I think of it, maybe the China Airlines pilots back then were on the drink.

I don't think there are any China Airline pilots taking off over my head here since I have been watching.

Everything seems to be straight and level.

• Like 1

That IS a beautiful shot!

I hadn't seen that one!

Thank you.

What a great place, I am sorry they closed KaiTak.

Also, LIKE CM, it was great because you could get off your plane and be in your Kowloon home or hotel in, truly, about 1/2 hour!!!

CM airport has almost this kind of speedy convenience, too.

Which Mooban is the noisiest (from aircraft)?

a./ Siwalee Ratchapruek

b./ Urbana 2

c./ Ban Wangtan

All 3 are handy to shopping, city and arterial roads but only a resident can advise re noise.

Living in © BWT, we barely notice the noise except for the odd 7am or midnight heavy load/maximum runway take-off. Most B737/ A320 movements only use half the runway length and are already very high before passing over BWT.

There is so much ambient noise in Thailand that you'd have to be directly under it to even notice.

Most flights land and take off from / to the South over not very densely populated areas. But those flights that do take off to the North are very noticeable in the Nimman area.

I am and it sucks. Especially now they are doing so many late night flights, 2am, 4am, and so on. Then a few times a month when the military jets hot dog around town flying so low to my building that it literally rattles the windows and shakes dishes. Considering they don't have the best track record of keeping those jets in the air, I'm always on edge when I hear them. We're moving as soon as the lease is up.

Off Topic

Sorry, but the KaiTak image got me going

Does anyone recall the flooring, floor-covering in the original Kai-Tak airport, around 1975 to 1985 or so?

I refer to the sort of dimpled surface of the floor which made it seem as if you were Walking on the surface of a giant flat Golf Ball.

I have not since seen a floor like that.

What was that about?

Was it a one of a kind flooring designed specifically for that particular airport?

Which Mooban is the noisiest (from aircraft)?

a./ Siwalee Ratchapruek

b./ Urbana 2

c./ Ban Wangtan

And the winner:

d: Ban Khwan Wiang. smile.png

BKW's only noisy due to Orbitor PA announcements and rowdy doof doof....it's further from CNX's departure flight path.

I once lived near KaiTak!

Those birds really came in for a landing.

It was often China Airlines that ended up in the drink or upside down though.

Now that I think of it, maybe the China Airlines pilots back then were on the drink.

I don't think there are any China Airline pilots taking off over my head here since I have been watching.

Everything seems to be straight and level.

I had a factory over the road from kai tak in San Po Kong - back in the eighties. never forget tyhat first flight in. Dead of night and over the peak with all HK ablaze with light. Then that weaving down between buildings - looking up into apartment windows. Brilliant! My office looked rihjt out over the runway but we put in double glazing and with all the other noise about you really couldn't hear the planes at all.

I have not met anyone yet who does not have great memories about that iconic airport, and many were sorry to see it go.

Actually, I think if you will agree, the flights did not come in to land from the Peak, which is in Hong Kong. But you are right that they did come in over a peak of the nearby hills there, and then there was almost not enough distance to lose enough altitude, which caused the pilots to drop the plane like a sack of potatoes onto the runway. Always a thrill.

The China Airlines accidents were legend. I remember one time when they had to blow the tail off the China Airlines 747 half-submerged at the end of the runway to quickly get the airport up and running again. Those CA pilots thought they were hot stuff.

Great that you, too, are lucky enough to remember those days of KaiTak, and also Hong Kong.

I have not met anyone yet who does not have great memories about that iconic airport, and many were sorry to see it go.

Actually, I think if you will agree, the flights did not come in to land from the Peak, which is in Hong Kong. But you are right that they did come in over a peak of the nearby hills there, and then there was almost not enough distance to lose enough altitude, which caused the pilots to drop the plane like a sack of potatoes onto the runway. Always a thrill.

The China Airlines accidents were legend. I remember one time when they had to blow the tail off the China Airlines 747 half-submerged at the end of the runway to quickly get the airport up and running again. Those CA pilots thought they were hot stuff.

Great that you, too, are lucky enough to remember those days of KaiTak, and also Hong Kong.

I'm sure you are right - long time ago now. HK was a great place. When I was there after a couple of weeks I wanted to get out. But after a couple of weeks away from the place I was desperate to return.

"The landing approach using runway 13 at Kai Tak was spectacular and world-famous. To land on runway 13, an aircraft first took a descent heading northeast. The aircraft would pass over the crowded harbour, and then the very densely populated areas of Western Kowloon. This leg of the approach was guided by an IGS (Instrument Guidance System, a modified ILS) after 1974.

Upon reaching a small hill marked with a huge "aviation orange" and white checkerboard (22°20′20″N 114°11′02″E), used as a visual reference point on the final approach (in addition to the middle marker on the Instrument Guidance System), the pilot needed to make a 47° visual right turn to line up with the runway and complete the final leg. The aircraft would be just two nautical miles (3.7 km) from touchdown, at a height of less than 1,000 feet (300 m) when the turn was made. Typically the plane would enter the final right turn at a height of about 650 feet (200 m) and exit it at a height of 140 feet (43 m) to line up with the runway. This manoeuver has become widely known in the piloting community as the "Hong Kong Turn" or "Checkerboard Turn"."

I am sure many can remember the screams of many first timers in to Kai Tak via runway 13 where you could literally see the TV's on in the flats!

Thank you for that. Reading through it is almost as exciting as repeating the landing. It was even more fun in a Typhoon and the airport did remain open during most weather. Then, if I recall correctly, it became the discretion of the pilot to say yes or no, I will land in HK or I will fly out and land in some other country. But I did land in some very fierce storms. When I was younger, the more the turbulence the better we liked it. Plenty of free drinks too, as usual.