Ready Bread Mixes

GooEng

does anyone know where to buy ready made bread mixes of the type to put into a bread making machine?

i've been experimenting making bread in a machine at work here in saudi and frankly the best results by far have been using ready made mixes a colleague from the UK brought over.

i am sure i saw a link in this sub-forum or possibly one of the others to a bakery or supplier in bkk that sells a variety of these mixes, but after searching i am unable to relocate it.

anyone help or got any recommendations for where to get these things?

also any pointers to where to get a decent bread machine in bkk would be welcome - i had a look in robinsons at sukhumvit last time in bkk and they had a couple but very small capacity.

also any pointers to where to get a decent bread machine in bkk would be welcome - i had a look in robinsons at sukhumvit last time in bkk and they had a couple but very small capacity.

How small is the capacity? How much do you consume per week? Bread tastes best when it is freshly baked.

How small is the capacity? How much do you consume per week? Bread tastes best when it is freshly baked.

thx for the replies... i am well aware of the thai eating habits and their lack of enthusiasm for bread, i wouldn't have expected to be able to have much luck with these bread mixes if it wasn't for the link i saw in here recently that took me to the site of a place selling them.... a bakery shp[ if i recall correctly selling bread and other products as well as a few mixes.

in fact i was anticipating having trouble even finding a choice of flours in thailand, never mind mixes. i was just hoping someone could point me to one of the farang oriented supermarkets that might have some to save me traipsing about looking for them.

the machines i saw in robinson's were not only small capacity they were also weird shapes(tall round, or shallow and square) and seemed more geared towards making cakes, not loaves of bread. it was the only place i looked mind you, and i expect a better choice would be available elsewhere - emporium perhaps.

Try verasu.com i bought a Hitachi from them years ago. Made a loaf that was over a half kilo in weight. Should be many places in BKK to buy flour and those mixes. Using flour and yeast and a few other items is not rocket science and cost half of the pre mixes.

• Like 1

thx for the pointer to verasu - good site!

i know the mixes cost more but recent experience - many self made mixes tried - is that these pre-mades make much better bread.

i'm prepared to try out other flours depending on availabilty in LOS, but where i've been trying it in Saudi variety is limited - i think the yeast also has been so-so and could be improved upon....

Problem with the flour you get here is it is mostly cake flour. Bread needs a wheat with more gluten.

Tops has a flour brand "white Rose" which is Austtraian hard wheat flour. This works well with a Fagor breadmaker.

The alternative is to play around adding seminola to the plain flour in place of some of it in the recipee. My guess is use about 6 desert spoons.

The tops brand is best though.

Another thing with the breadmaker is the dough must be the right consistency or will drop and not cook fully as the cooking time is fixed and cannot be varied as in an oven. Look at the dough while it is mixing and add more watter if flour is not all absorbed or a little more flour if it is too runny. A couple of tries is al you need to find the right consistency.

My breadmaker is probably the most used item in my kitchen.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

Nice one Harry - will look for that flour in Tops. Know what you mean about the fixed timer giving mixed results - have seen that here in saudi and I think the flour issue here may also be the same - cake flour.

Makro has bread flour for around 30 thb/kilo and they also sell the yeast.....but be careful with yeast as one is for sweet breads and the other is for low sugar breads. Ask the baker, he'll know.

In CM, we have a 'baker's mart' that has all kinds of different flours and whole grains and I'm sure that BKK has more options.

• Like 1

Problem with the flour you get here is it is mostly cake flour.

This isn't true. I make bread all the time and the flour I find here is mostly all purpose flour, which works well for bread. When I do want cake flour I usually have a hard time finding it.

• Like 1

Problem with the flour you get here is it is mostly cake flour.

This isn't true. I make bread all the time and the flour I find here is mostly all purpose flour, which works well for bread. When I do want cake flour I usually have a hard time finding it.

Some think Nescafe is coffee too smile.png

Tip : I have a Kenwood breadmaker for years, but I only use it for kneeding and mixing the ingredients. Found out that you have a much, much better result if you bake the loaf in a normal breadpan (and at least your bread has the shape of a bread, not some cube with a hole in it) If you like a crispy crust, add steam during the baking proces.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bread flour is readily available in Tesco/Lotus, BigC, Makro, Top's, Villa and Foodland. I've never had a problem getting it, or the yeast. The secret with making bread in a machine, is that you MUST be exact with your measurements. Unlike baking bread in an oven, where you can play around a bit more.

I suggest you look online for recipies for the breadmaker. Also, if you buy a breadmaker, it should come with a few standard recipies.

I used to use a machine, but now I make it by hand. It's easy when you have a Kenwood Chef to do all the hard work.

Edited by jaiyenyen

Villa sells Australian flour (brand evades me) which is very good and excellent value. If you are in BKK and have to go to Chaeng Wattana then you could pop into my local bakery supplier who is close to the ExpressWay on Chaeng Wattana. Let me know if you need more information. I bake my own and get good supplies from there with which I make my own flour blends to suit my family's tastes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There is a small shop in my big village that sells bread flour in a green bag, self raising or cake flour in an orange bag and plain flour in a blue bag, all made by the united flour mill. She also sell yeast but only in small packs and a whole load of other stuff.

I use a bread maker I bought in NZ 4 years ago but I don't make bread any more but bread rolls instead because I was the only one eating bread by about day 5 I was growing my own penicillin as there are NO preservatives in my bread.

I also found this somewhere probably on TVF but I have never been there so I cannot wouch for it.

Baking supplies in Bangkok

We found a very interesting shop on Saturday near the
junction of Sukhumvit and Onnut.

It is run by a Thai/Chinese family and stocks everything required for baking
etc: Cake tins, pie tins, bread tins, cupcake tins, scales, timers, sieves,
pallet knives, rolling pins, flours of all descriptions both in regular size
and commercial sizes. Australian salted and unsalted butter, Thai butter all in
both regular consumer packs and commercial packs. Biscuit/cookie cutters, white
choc chips, dark choc chips, ground almonds, hundreds and thousands, oil,
yeast, colours, flavours etc etc.

If you are driving up Sukhumvit the shop is on the left hand side just before
the left turn onto Onnut.

Bread rolls v02.doc

post-5614-0-85014600-1369982582_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-39984000-1369982568_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Most Bread machines recommend water in first followed by flour,salt butter milk powder sugar and lastly yeast. I've tried following these recipes and they don't work with Thai Bread flour and my Kenwood bread machine. Have been searching for alternative recipes and have found firstly, you need to check the activity of your yeast, try adding 1 tsp yeast to 1 tsp sugar dissolved in 1cup water at 110 DegF ( just slightly warmer than body temp made by 1/2 cup boiled water & 1/2 cup cold water). dissolve the sugar and yeast and wait for 10 mins if it does not double in size forget it and by some fresh yeast. Repeat the process until you've got active yeast.

Secondly now you know your yeast is ok get a good bread machine recipe( search for best bread machine recipe and you find it) put all water at 110 degF in bread pan with yeast and sugar, stir until dissolved wait 20 mins for good froth level than add rest of ingredients choose normal white loaf programme, sit back, wait 3 hours and out pops a perfect loaf!!

Most Bread machines recommend water in first followed by flour,salt butter milk powder sugar and lastly yeast. I've tried following these recipes and they don't work with Thai Bread flour and my Kenwood bread machine. Have been searching for alternative recipes and have found firstly, you need to check the activity of your yeast, try adding 1 tsp yeast to 1 tsp sugar dissolved in 1cup water at 110 DegF ( just slightly warmer than body temp made by 1/2 cup boiled water & 1/2 cup cold water). dissolve the sugar and yeast and wait for 10 mins if it does not double in size forget it and by some fresh yeast. Repeat the process until you've got active yeast.

Secondly now you know your yeast is ok get a good bread machine recipe( search for best bread machine recipe and you find it) put all water at 110 degF in bread pan with yeast and sugar, stir until dissolved wait 20 mins for good froth level than add rest of ingredients choose normal white loaf programme, sit back, wait 3 hours and out pops a perfect loaf!!

I use a Breville I bought in NZ about 4 years ago and my bread and soft rolls turn out very well but the crusty ones I tried weren't so good but that I suspect was me.

I will try them again in a while.

Meanwhile here are the recipes I use for bread and rolls.

I use sacf yeast from Makro and the bread improver KS 505 from there to. I also use honey in place of sugar.

Basic white bread.doc

Bread rolls v02.doc

Crusty Rolls bread Machine Dough Cycle v03.doc

• Like 1

Draftvadar could you give more information about the bread supplier at Chang Wattana. address? thanks

Sorry for the delay. The bakery supply shop is on Soi 33, aka Bond Street. If you are coming from the Pak Kret direction you turn left at the lights after Healthland. If you are coming from the Laksi direction you stay to the left of the overpass after the ExpressWay then you turn right at the lights. Once on Bond Street continue on past the "ponds" (morelike Indian "tanks"). You'll pass a tyre shop then a pizza restaurant. Not far after this there is a shop with loads of packaging and food containers outside. This the supply shop. It is a bit of the jumble, but the owner's English is pretty good and the prices are much lower than the supermarket.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I have found that the flour must be the cause of what is making our bread maker bread not quite right. I have used yeast bought from UK I would use back home, real butter and it just does not taste right with the all purpose flour. However I cannot find any decent strong bread flour here in BKK :(

I have found that the flour must be the cause of what is making our bread maker bread not quite right. I have used yeast bought from UK I would use back home, real butter and it just does not taste right with the all purpose flour. However I cannot find any decent strong bread flour here in BKK sad.png

tops sell white rose bread flour which is very good.