Farang Fruit. Thai Fruit?

asupeartea

No, it should not be Thais, it is already too specific, the thing is, Farang is ALL white people, so we should talk about all brown skins. And then they will understand, it is a VERY broad definition.

So instead of calling them Thais we should call them Brown skin, and we should not make any difference from Thais, Indians, Vietnamese, Burmese, Lao, Phillipino, Mexicans, etc...

• Like 1

I don't know about fruit but some coloured people I guess are being racists when they call other coloured people who act white a 'choc-ice' (chocolate covered ice cream - black outside, white inside). There's no fruit that matches this analogy/insult.
I wonder if anyone knows where 'farang' came from; was it from the French? or did the name exist for guava in the Thai language beforehand? Like, when you play pool and give the ball side-spin you give it 'English' which started as a misunderstanding. French players were trying to say 'angles' (ie. make the ball spin at an angle) and people assumed they were saying the French word for English (anglais), so it just stuck.

I don't know about fruit but some coloured people I guess are being racists when they call other coloured people who act white a 'choc-ice' (chocolate covered ice cream - black outside, white inside). There's no fruit that matches this analogy/insult.

I wonder if anyone knows where 'farang' came from; was it from the French? or did the name exist for guava in the Thai language beforehand? Like, when you play pool and give the ball side-spin you give it 'English' which started as a misunderstanding. French players were trying to say 'angles' (ie. make the ball spin at an angle) and people assumed they were saying the French word for English (anglais), so it just stuck.

Believe me pal, WE ALL know where the words come from, after 3 months membership here on TV.

wink.png

Back to the fruits.

smile.png

PS.

Angles from Anglo from Anglo-Saxon, from where the Saxon part of Europe "angled" (bended).

Edited by Travel2003

Wasn't the term used by Portugese traders and it stuck? (farrang for guava)

It's like chewing gum we introduced it and it stuck.

I don't know what a Thai fruit would be but I know a Thai man that Durian would be quite apt sad.png

• Like 1

I always answer GLUAI (which means Banana in Thai) to anyone who is talking about Farang. Then, I explain that if I'm a guava, they are very likely Banana. After that, they stop saying Farang.

Please note the subtle difference as depending on the tone, GLUAI also means Dick!

Edited by Will2011
  • Like 1

Hmm, I'm not sure this concept is appealing to me.

I understand 'Farang' and I understand 'Thai' within the OP context.

Maybe I'm missing some meaning not familiar to me, but what do you mean by 'Farang fruit' or 'Thai fruit'???

Unless it is akin to 'fruit cake' or 'nut cake'? Not trying to be a smart-alec here, just genuinely stupid...

Maybe I'm missing some meaning not familiar to me, but what do you mean by 'Farang fruit' or 'Thai fruit'???

Unless it is akin to 'fruit cake' or 'nut cake'? Not trying to be a smart-alec here, just genuinely stupid...

The OP doesn't like being referred to as a farang because he thinks it's a fruit. So he's trying to solicit like-minded tools to offer up some insulting fruit names for the Thais. Rather childish.

• Like 1

Guava is called Farrang in Thai. It's a thread obviously created by someone with a chip on their shoulder.

When describing Thais "banana" would have the specific use of a Thai (Asian) having spent long periods of time overseas so they become yellow on the outside and white on the inside. That's a word Asians use among themselves.

In the spirit of OPs posts I'd go for "Lamyai" (or Longan) = brown on the outside and they come in bunches with their extended family laugh.png

Farang is not a derogatory word so I don't know why some take offense. Yes, it is racist in the literal sense. Yet go to America (and many other countries) and every non-American will have a very derogatory and offensive nick-name to describe their nationality or race.

Perhaps the poo-poo you smell is the poo-poo stuck to the bottom of your own shoes.

Guava is called Farrang in Thai. It's a thread obviously created by someone with a chip on their shoulder.
I think we all went through this before, there is no connection with farang meaning 'guava' and it being some description of us actual farang. People have come up with 'oh cause it's soft and easy to squeeze' or stupid stuff like that but there are no links that they are refering to us as guavas in any way

I think we all went through this before, there is no connection with farang meaning 'guava' and it being some description of us actual farang. People have come up with 'oh cause it's soft and easy to squeeze' or stupid stuff like that but there are no links that they are refering to us as guavas in any way

I know it has nothing to do with the word Westerner. What do your Thai friends call chewing gum? There is no fruit named after a Thai national, it's open to Thai bashing but I hope that isn't the aim. All I will say is I like many different Thai fruit as its soft and sweet.

In case you didn't notice, I just asked a non-biased question. Even kept it suuuuupeeeer simple hoping the trolls would not come out on it.

Farang is not a derogatory word so I don't know why some take offense. Yes, it is racist in the literal sense. Yet go to America (and many other countries) and every non-American will have a very derogatory and offensive nick-name to describe their nationality or race.

Perhaps the poo-poo you smell is the poo-poo stuck to the bottom of your own shoes.

Thanks for the upbeat reply keeping with my intent. It's really appreciated.

When describing Thais "banana" would have the specific use of a Thai (Asian) having spent long periods of time overseas so they become yellow on the outside and white on the inside. That's a word Asians use among themselves.

In the spirit of OPs posts I'd go for "Lamyai" (or Longan) = brown on the outside and they come in bunches with their extended family laugh.png

No, just asked a simple question. YOU read "chip on my shoulder" into it.

No, just asked a simple question. YOU read "chip on my shoulder" into it.

No I read your bold font with you full knowing a guava is called Farrang which has nothing to do with the word Westerner.

In the context of the topic you will not mind me calling you a pair of lychee, make up your own definition.