Best Condo In Bkk Under 600K.

One thought when buying a condo in Bangkok for 600k, or anywhere for that matter, is the floor plan.

Most of the floors are 'cookie cutter' ... with bedrooms under bedrooms, toilets under toilets etc.

Where you can get caught out is then the floor above you changes to a different floor plan, say going from a 1 bedroom standard layout to a 2 bedroom design or a sub-penthouse design.

In a rental property, we had a 2 bedroom place but the apartment above was a 3 bedder and a different layout, meaning that our bedroom was under the above unit's kitchen ... and lot's more noise generated through the concrete floor.

Car parks are also an issue ... if your unit was allocated a good one, and someone else has nicked it!

If I had this budget I would just keep looking in the classifieds etc. Something is bound to pop up where the seller is motivated to get out quick. Nothing wrong with making offers either, you just never know. I think time plus the 600k is a good combination actually.

Edited by utalkin2me

To the OP, I'm not sure you can buy much in Bangkok for 600,000. I live in Samut Prakarn which is just south of Bangkok and the BTS was extended to Bearing (in the south) last year. It's just 40 baht to get from Bearing to the center of Bangkok on the BTS and has really increased people's opportunities.

So My Condo Has Appreciated Then?
No, I bought a 50m2 unit just off Srinakarin road and the BTS isn't coming here so my condo has probably depreciated. If I could even sell it.

What I Wish I'd Done
When I bought three years ago, I felt the condos near Bearing were overpriced and I think they might be as the BTS is now being extended miles into Samut Prakarn. It won't be much harder to take the BTS from 10 miles further away. You should drive along the route (or search online) for any condos they might be building along the route. If you are willing to take the risk of buying off-plan, you might realize a good return on you investment.

How To Live In a 35m2 Condo
I've no idea where to buy space-saving furniture in Bangkok but there are great videos on youtube of beds that swing up or even raise up into the ceiling. These are real beds with sprung wooden lats and proper mattresses. If I had to live in somewhere this size, I'd spend as much as I could afford on this type of furniture so as to get two rooms out of one (living room and bedroom), even if that meant importing it.

600K is not a lot of money and won't buy much. You can rent the equivalent for 10K a month with the freedom to leave if the neighbours are noisy drunks or the place starts to fall apart. Why tie up even 600K cash for potential future headaches and the joys of trying to sell a 2nd or 3rd hand shoebox down the road?

600K is not a lot of money and won't buy much. You can rent the equivalent for 10K a month with the freedom to leave if the neighbours are noisy drunks or the place starts to fall apart. Why tie up even 600K cash for potential future headaches and the joys of trying to sell a 2nd or 3rd hand shoebox down the road?

Because, for me personally, I have come to the conclusion that most of the smart people that knew/know what they are doing, and don't have to work into their retirement years, bought property at some point (usually early). Yet, essentially I agree. 600k is not a lot of money.

Edited by utalkin2me

Because, for me personally, I have come to the conclusion that most of the smart people that knew/know what they are doing, and don't have to work into their retirement years, bought property at some point (usually early). Yet, essentially I agree. 600k is not a lot of money.

I agree with your point about most of the smart people who know what they are doing. I would add they bought property in the west, not in Thailand.

Once again, for 600K you will live in a xxxxhole. Just keep on renting .

can be a lot more profitable than paying 10K to rent the same thing. The townhouse I posted the listing for cost me 22K usd. Apparently, the Taiwanese didn't think it was a shitewhole, because I just signed a contract to sell it to them. Also looking at one in Lad Prao for 550K.

I agree with your conclusion, and I'd go one step further : most of the smart people who actually know what they are talking about rarely post on TV for fear of finding themselves in a pissing match with another 'expert'. This thread is a classic example of that phenomenon.

I agree with your point about most of the smart people who know what they are doing. I would add they bought property in the west, not in Thailand.

I attribute my early retirement to being invested in equities not property. Huge numbers of people have lost their homes in US and more still underwater (forever).

Much of Europe and Ireland not any better.

Smart? Lucky people got out. You might have been insightful enough to see the signs, but were lucky to sell.

Multimillion dollar homes in FL down half mln still.

I attribute my early retirement to being invested in equities not property. Huge numbers of people have lost their homes in US and more still underwater (forever).

Much of Europe and Ireland not any better.

Smart? Lucky people got out. You might have been insightful enough to see the signs, but were lucky to sell.

Multimillion dollar homes in FL down half mln still.

In the long run that is true, but most of the middle class never buys their first share of stock, but they still need a roof over their heads.

I really didn't want a buy/rent debate or condo law/immigration. I was hoping to get pointed in the right direction. I'm not an expert on bkk real estate, I am somewhat familiar with BKK.

coffee1.gif Another TV Thread hijacked far off-topic... WHERE IS THE MODERATOR IN THIS THREAD?

To the OP, check bahtsold site. I think u need to find Thai-to-Thai website for the truly affordable condos. At yr price-point, I think its safe to assume the locations of these condos will require multi-modal transportation to commute to-from the BTS/MRT... motorcycle-taxi, bus, etc. So if this is not an issue, there are lots of properties available.

Also, at the bottom end, I believe the market correction upcoming will not affect values too much, if you must buy before the fall. But I'm no estate guru, fushizzle - there are a number of real estate 'experts' on this thread already who can advise u...

Edited by bbradsby
  • Like 1

That is what the report button is for cheers.

OP is asking about purchasing condos in Bangkok. Not property in the US or Timbuktoo. Do try to remember that when posting, the divergence in this thread from the get go is beyond ridiculous.

Cheap condo's is my specialty smile.png

I buy them and rent them out. Shoeboxes as some call them. Bangkok is full of them so shoeboxes should be called homes.

The way to find them is doing lots of footwork. You will not find them on a website.

Best thing to do is go look around and find which areas you like. Then find buildings you like and ask the guard, juristic office for rentals and which are for sale.

Look at them and study the building. Look if maintenance is done, ask the juristic office for the latest numbers so you can see how much is in reserve.

Preferably you rent a unit in the building you plan to buy. One year or half year contracts are possible. Use that time to get a good feel of the place and when some units are up for sale you are able to grab it quickly when the price is right or do a first offer.

Small condos are usually ok when you are alone or a couple. Ikea has lots of stuff that can make the small units comfortable to live in.

Good luck on your quest, and be patient!

• Like 2

People stay in 16 sm hotel rooms all the time. A well organized 30 is fine. No place for hoarders, that's for sure. Thanks for the encouragement, Jean. I was just looking at one for 490K not far from Hua Mark. Chiangmai is hard to beat for food and entertainment, but I'm sure there are more opportunities in BKK.