Teaching And Working In Bangkok

I may have the opportunity to move myself and young family to bangkok through workign in an international school. this is obviously a big decision for us and any realistic advice about living and working in Bangkok would be greatly appreciated. We are particularly interested in the problems living in the city and the amount of greenery we would see, being simple country folk.

I lived in Bangkok for many years when I was single and it was great.

The reason we moved was because of our daughter being 1 year old. The pollution is terrible, even in the outskirts. Then again, Thailand I think would be great for your kids.

One thing to think about is their educational costs. Could they study at the school you work in free?

If your wife doesn't work, she may have problems being in Bangkok.

My wife came from a small town and we lived in Bangkok after we got married. She was not happy there - and she is Thai. She found many friends once our daughter was born, and also at an English language school she took classes.

Bangkok is exciting when you first get there but after a few years the 'pink cloud' lifts.

What about getting a 1/2 year contract?

I suggest you post in the general section of TV also.

Hi Stretchy .... I'm not sure if you're male or female but yes, it's true that your wife/husband if not working in Bangkok may have problems adjusting. Difficult to say without knowing more about you though, as there are things like mother's and babies groups (Bambi) and expat women's groups, etc so depending on their personality they may find a circle of friends if willing to put a bit of effort in. If your spouse is a teacher, it wouldn't be as bad because, even if they didn't have a contract at your school, it's likely they could get supply or support work.

As far as greenery goes, that also depends on where the school is located. I'm in the outskirts of the city and there are big green areas around the school and I live in a housing estate with a few small parks and play areas. However, if your school is in the inner city area, then expect to be living in a built up area, quite likely in an apartment block or condominium ... but then again, depending on which school it is some accomodation provided is in buildings with big play areas and parks.

Bangkok is definately not for everyone, however most people enjoy it if even for just a short stint. It's unlikely that any international school would offer you a contract for less than two years, so that would pretty much be your minimum length of stay. I've been in Thailand almost 8 years ... the last seven of them in Bangkok, so it can't be that bad!

If you'd like to know more, feel free to PM me with the name of the school you've been offered the job at and I may be able to give you more information about where you'd be living and the lifestyle.