Phuket Tour Guides Protest ‘Great Chinese Takeaway’

Lite Beer

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife is a tour-guide (not in phuket) and speaks reasonable English. Often they just have a tour leader there as a liaison that speaks English too. But for the money tour guides get you guys expect an awful lot. Maybe if they got twice as much then it would be good. Most people who speak Chinese or Japanese fluid could find much better paying jobs somewhere else.
Why should an english speaking person learn another language if they don't work in an industry that needs it? Why should any person learn a second language that is not needed. Simply, they don't.

But the Thais are complaining about foreign tour guides taking their jobs. Well if they can speak Russian or Chinese and can take those jobs then yes it is a valid complaint.

But until Thais who can speak Russian and/or Chineses complain about it then I'm afraid it's all just more of the same bullsh*t.

An English speaking person should learn another language, when he/she lives in another non English speaking country, like Thailand, for instance.

Has nothing to do with only the industry you work in only.

I agree but in relation to this topic the guides who are looking after a certain group of tourists should speak thier language.

Some of them give tourists incorrect information about Phuket and Thailand because their knowledge of the history, the province, the country and the culture is not accurate, he added.

555555 very funny.

Few years ago i made a trip to peepee island and a Thai "tours guides" explained that the little "mountain" on the left side was the home of plenty of bat that lives in a 5 Km. hight cheminy... we reply that it seems many km. high for a small mountain!She said "that is because we are far... (less than 1 km.). accuracy is not their cup of tea, will be better if they were slepping less and study their own country little more.

Well to end it seems Chinese are starting to know them better! who next, in few years no one will visit that country.

My wife is a tour-guide (not in phuket) and speaks reasonable English. Often they just have a tour leader there as a liaison that speaks English too. But for the money tour guides get you guys expect an awful lot. Maybe if they got twice as much then it would be good. Most people who speak Chinese or Japanese fluid could find much better paying jobs somewhere else.
Why should an english speaking person learn another language if they don't work in an industry that needs it? Why should any person learn a second language that is not needed. Simply, they don't.

But the Thais are complaining about foreign tour guides taking their jobs. Well if they can speak Russian or Chinese and can take those jobs then yes it is a valid complaint.

But until Thais who can speak Russian and/or Chineses complain about it then I'm afraid it's all just more of the same bullsh*t.

An English speaking person should learn another language, when he/she lives in another non English speaking country, like Thailand, for instance.

I have lived and worked in 38 countries during my working life, should I have learned them all?

Belgium has 2 official, Holland, Germany, France, Portugal,most of the Spanish speaking countries in South America speak Spanish differently, English in the UK, USA, SA, OZ, NZ is different from each other, Pakistan has a few, Bangladesh has a few, countries in Africa have many and Papua New Guinea about 7 or 800 different ones.

• Like 1

I suspect that most, if not all of the Thai tourist guides can't speak fluent or maybe any Chinese. How can they possibly be of any use to Chinese tourists that can't understand them?

True, Thais need to learn a 2nd language if they want to work with a specific group of people and not just sit back and complain.

It seems that many beach vendors can speak some Mandarin and Korean. They should be tour guides. smile.png

And you would change your profession to something that pays maybe half just to help country's tourist industry?smile.png

This is just cosmetic announcements what comes up weekly in those newspapers related to Phuket. The reality is the Thai tour guide's don't speak Mandarin or Russian and those nationalities bring in billions of Baht to the Thai tourism industry. Besides many Thai tour guide's are very much interested in sending group tours in the hordes to Gems International, some restaurants or tailors where they receive a fat commission on low quality or overpriced products.

• Like 1

That is your opinion. I don't think you are right. But this has nothing to do with the OP. Edited by FDog
  • Like 1

He doesn't get it .. something about stones sins and first

Telling Thais to learn languages when he himself lives in an other country and does not even try to speak it.

Sure the one thing is professional and the other private but still stupid comment.

I have lived and worked in 38 countries during my working life, should I have learned them all?

Belgium has 2 official, Holland, Germany, France, Portugal,most of the Spanish speaking countries in South America speak Spanish differently, English in the UK, USA, SA, OZ, NZ is different from each other, Pakistan has a few, Bangladesh has a few, countries in Africa have many and Papua New Guinea about 7 or 800 different ones.

Actually Australia has english and around 400 indigenous languages unique to Australia.

Yes you should learn to speak the language of the country you are living in. Its quite normal ask all the people in your home country complaining about foreigners.

If you are somewhere just on a holiday or temporary sure no need to learn the language but if you live there you should at least make an effort.

But my point with Fdog was more that people who can't even speak a bit of thai (as i dont speak that much either) should not comment in a topic like this.

Just like its normal for a guide to speak an other language its normal for people who settle in a foreign country to learn its language.

He doesn't get it .. something about stones sins and first

Telling Thais to learn languages when he himself lives in an other country and does not even try to speak it.

Sure the one thing is professional and the other private but still stupid comment.

Ok Einstein.

If I live in OZ and go for a job as a tour guide for people from Afghanistan it would be daft of me to complain about an Afghan doing that job when I can do it. I can't do it, I don't speak Afgahn. So if I want the job I have to learn that language.

So what has me learning Thai have to do with a Thai learning a language to get a job that needs someone to speak that language.

Or would you prefer that everyone on the tour has to learn Thai so the Thai tour guide can get a job.

Sheesh some people are thick.

• Like 1

Just as tourguides should learn the language of their clients people should learn the language of the country they settle in. So those are both about learning the language.

I would not mind a thing if you spoke Thai a bit and commented on these tourguides (and your right so) but you don't even speak the language of the country you are in not even a bit and you complain about others be it professional not speaking a language and you call me thick.

Yes you should learn to speak the language of the country you are living in. Its quite normal ask all the people in your home country complaining about foreigners.

If you are somewhere just on a holiday or temporary sure no need to learn the language but if you live there you should at least make an effort.

But my point with Fdog was more that people who can't even speak a bit of thai (as i dont speak that much either) should not comment in a topic like this.

Just like its normal for a guide to speak an other language its normal for people who settle in a foreign country to learn its language.

Well your point is off topic and is plain wrong. If I expect a job where it is necessary to speak a foreign language then I should be expected to learn it.

I don't need to learn Thai, I get buy nicely without it. Obviously a Thai does need to learn that foreign language in order to be employed so will have to learn it.

Well your point is off topic and is plain wrong. If I expect a job where it is necessary to speak a foreign language then I should be expected to learn it.

I don't need to learn Thai, I get buy nicely without it. Obviously a Thai does need to learn that foreign language in order to be employed so will have to learn it.

I bet where your from its the law you need to learn the language if you settle there. Why is that because its normal to speak the language of the country you live in. So its normal to learn it but i bet your one of those native English speakers who expects the natives of a country to change to his language. Pure arrogance.

I bet where your from its the law you need to learn the language if you settle there. Why is that because its normal to speak the language of the country you live in. So its normal to learn it but i bet your one of those native English speakers who expects the natives of a country to change to his language. Pure arrogance.
There is a big difference to where I am from and Thailand. To get citizenship you do have to know the basics of english. To work in oz you don't. But if it is required as part of the job that you must know english then you have to have that skill.

There are many in Oz who do not speak any english at all, I don't have any issue with that. If they can survive without then that is up to them.

It is only normal to speak the language of any country if you need it. If you can get by without it then what is the problem?

Is it arrogance to expect a person to be able to speak the language the job requires?

Should an interpreter in court just say to the defendant that he/she must learn Thai? No, their job is to interpret another language so they must know that language.

Or is that just me being arrogant to expect them to fullfil the requirements of the job they want.

So you think it is entirely appropriate and good business sense to have a non chinese speaking Thai as a tour guide for Chinese do you?

Great opportunity for a business in China. All Thai tour guides will not be required to learn your language so before you come on holiday you have to learn Thai. Great idea. lol

And no, I don't expect any natives to change to my language. I don't care if they do or don't. But if they want a job that requires a language then they'd have to learn it.

Edited by FDog

Just as tourguides should learn the language of their clients people should learn the language of the country they settle in. So those are both about learning the language.

I would not mind a thing if you spoke Thai a bit and commented on these tourguides (and your right so) but you don't even speak the language of the country you are in not even a bit and you complain about others be it professional not speaking a language and you call me thick.

No I don't complain about others not speaking another language. I complain about people wanting a job that REQUIRES another language but they can't speak it.

Please get your facts right.

• Like 1

By the way, I do speak a little but only very very little. I could never hold a conversation. Just enough to ask for certain things that I like or understand a few words to get the meaning of something.

But in essence, it would be wrong of me to say I speak Thai.

Not that this has anything at all to do with the topic. This isn't about foreigners learning to speak the local language. This is about people doing a job that requires a 2nd language.

Men don't have pussies but that doesn't mean they can't be gynacologists. smile.png

• Like 1

By the way, I do speak a little but only very very little. I could never hold a conversation. Just enough to ask for certain things that I like or understand a few words to get the meaning of something.

But in essence, it would be wrong of me to say I speak Thai.

Not that this has anything at all to do with the topic. This isn't about foreigners learning to speak the local language. This is about people doing a job that requires a 2nd language.

Men don't have pussies but that doesn't mean they can't be gynacologists. smile.png

I think you are 100% right about tourguides needing to speak the language of those they want to service. My point was just that as a foreigner who can't even speak the language of the country he resides in its proper to comment on this point given your background.

I can hold conversation but to say that i speak Thai is also too much so I don't comment negatively on topics like this until i got that sorted.

Well.....I agree with everything Fdog says and I DO speak Thai (pretty well, if I do say so myself).

Seems to me self-evident. If you need to learn a language for your profession, but are no good at it, then you can expect people that do speak the language to fill that slot, regardless of nationality. Supply and demand and all that.

Someone living in Thailand speaking, or not speaking Thai is a choice and is a completely different issue to the subject being discussed (even though I agree with Robblok on this)

Some Thai high schools (Mathayom) DO teach Japanese, French and Chinese as well as English. I have heard of some teaching other languages too. The sad thing is they are a) Thai schools with loads of Mickey-Mouse-activities and bee) using ancient teaching methods so little REAL learning goes on. There are the few who learn in spite of the horrendous learning environment because they are motivated and really WANT to learn, nothing would stop them (2-3 kids in each class of 30-50 students).

I suspect that most, if not all of the Thai tourist guides can't speak fluent or maybe any Chinese. How can they possibly be of any use to Chinese tourists that can't understand them?

True, Thais need to learn a 2nd language if they want to work with a specific group of people and not just sit back and complain.

Edited by asupeartea

I can see the headlines next week.

"Phuket Bar Owners Protest Against Successful Foriegn Owned Bars."

The best solution is to stop whinning, educate yourselves and adapt to the business at hand.

Perhaps the best solution is to ensure you're not in a 'reserved' occupation.

Owning a bar as a foreigner isn't illegal, is it? The protests that get reported are related to people working where they shouldn't be.

For example, they tell tourists that poor Thai parents are forcing their daughters and sons to become prostitutes or join ladyboy shows,” he alleged.

Nothing like stoking national pride to create antagonism.

I can see the headlines next week.

"Phuket Bar Owners Protest Against Successful Foriegn Owned Bars."

The best solution is to stop whinning, educate yourselves and adapt to the business at hand.

No need to protest about this - they just put the rent up to make you unprofitable. :) :)

Pathetic. Truly, truly pathetic.

But at least Mr. Jaifu got something right:

Mr Jaifu also expressed his fear that the impending introduction of the Asean Economic Community (AEC) could spell disaster for Thai tour guides,

And the sooner that happens, the better.

Planet Phuket will not join the Asian Economic Community (AEC)

The Phuket Government will blockade the Phuket Airport, Sarasin Bridge and the sea port, if forced to join.

They can't allow Bangkok to implement changes that they can not control on Phuket. biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

I wonder how many of the people stating this are themselves fluid in a second language. Most native English speakers don't speak 2 languages.

Even though I agree a Thai with good language skills should get more money. The Thai person becomes a tour guide because they want to. So they should learn the language of their customers... and no I do not speak fluent Thai. I speak baby Thai :D

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

So the Thai's are quite rightly unhappy about outsiders taking their jobs, if these tour companies want foreign language speaking Thai's, they will have to pay a decent rate.

How many of the whingers on here also whinge about foreigners under cutting them in their own country. Love the hypocrisy on here.

It seems that many beach vendors can speak some Mandarin and Korean. They should be tour guidessmile.png

I do not agree with this ... so every few years when the trend of visiting major tourist nationalities changes then all Thais should run out and learn that language ... ?? So in 2 years maybe it will be Italian or Turkish or whatever ... so everytime a big influx of tourists from a country starts heading for Thailand En Masse... the Thais should run out and learn that language ...?? Duh!!rolleyes.gifwacko.png ... How about all these International travelers learn the one worldwide common language called English ...?? Then everyone can be a little stress free to only have to learn 1 extra language... and if they are inclined to... sure ... go out there and learn other languages ... the more the better in my opinion but for the majority of people, 1 extra language is the most they can cope with ... so keep it simple and stick to English all around .... !!wacko.png