Best Visa Options For Being In Thailand 4-5 Months Per Year

My parents are building a house in Thailand and plan to stay here for 4-5 months (continuous) per year.

They are aged 58 and 56.

I'm here on a type-O 1 year extension (Thai wife), and have 2 kids; so my parents have "Thai grandchildren" if that helps.

What would be the best visa to get considering the following preferences:

• They need to be able get Thai drivers license, maybe set bank accounts etc...(so tourist visa probably won't work well)
  • They would prefer not to have to leave the country (do border visa runs) during the 4-5 months.
  • Would prefer not to have to leave large amounts of cash in a Thai bank account

I'm thinking get a 3 month type-O visa before coming each year, based on "visiting Thai family", then get it extended by 3 months at immigration when it expires... is this possible?

They can get a non-O visa based on their age or based on you as family living in Thailand.

In Thailand they can apply for an extension of stay based on being over 50 years old, if at least one of them can show:

- an income of 65,000 baht a month (can be from abroad and must in that case be certified by their embassy)

OR

- 800,000 in a bank account in Thailand (No joined account)

OR

- having a yearly income and having in the bank in Thailand together totaling at least 800,000.

The other spouse can be a depended of the spouse who meets the qualifications.

Extension is for 1 year, there are no 3 month extensions.