Someone Is Using My Moniker/avatar On Tv

kat

MOds:

Someone named Chuck on the Thai visa thread just posted with my exact moniker, but it wasn't me. I only signed in for a moment to check mail, and then signed out again. How is it that someone can use my moniker to post like this?

I'm sure it is some kind of a fluke, but it's one we should try to understand because it's freaky.

How do I correct the situation?

*edit: It's on the banglam visa checkpoint thread, on the visa forum. Post #1 - it's not me!

Here it is:

"When I went to Banglam or whatever you call it to do the 90 visa run through Jackoff visa run service.

It seems that they have a new Director there now. The visa run service had me go into this guys office after each other applicant had left the site. There were two other Americans sitting outside of his office.

He proceeded to tell us one-by-one through a translator, our Passports were Fake according to him.

(This passport was issued to me by the U.S. Embassy 2 months ago, with all of it's security features).

We explained to him that our passports were not fake and that he could call the U.S. Embassy to Verify their numbers (which I provided him - 022054000). He then told us that Americans are Liers.

After about 10 min. the visa run service had to go out and get photocopies of each of our passports for the main office.

The staff at Jackoff informed us, that this guy has only been there for less then one month and no one in his office seems to care for him.

This is just a note.

Chuck"

Edited by kat

I think the thread was just removed. Thanks Mods.

I don't think the poster was malicious at all, and it was probably just a fluke. It's something to watch out for now, I guess. I haven't used an internet cafe since late last week, and I always try to sign off. Mistakes are possible, though. Right now I'm at work, not at an internet cafe.

Hey, Kat-

I think this underlines the importance of signing out each and every time you use the forum... I've signed you out myself at least 3 different times over the last year or so (we use one of the same internet cafes). If you sign out on one computer you can still be signed in on another one- I forgot to sign out once and when I logged in from another computer I noticed I was *already* signed in somewhere- figured out where that was and signed myself out.

"Steven"

Hi Steven:

That was more than a year ago, because I don't use that cafe anymore since I moved. And yes, you are the one that taught me to make sure I am signed out, because of that prior habit.

Since then, I have been signing out. Sometimes, the computer will crashe before I can, though. Vic has just told me something new, about checking the cookies above the names. I'm going to start checking for that now.

if i use an internet cafe i always

1. log off every site that i have to log in to.

2. go to "tools" ......"internet options"....... and then delete files , delete cookies , empty history and finally empty the recycle bin before paying up and leaving.

hopefully that will remove traces of all logins that i have used.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to bring this issue back to the top again.

I'm now at an internet cafe in town. When I opened ThaiVisa forum, whooosh, I was already logged in as "Peripheral".

Don't forget to log out, folks! :o

Just wanted to bring this issue back to the top again.

I'm now at an internet cafe in town. When I opened ThaiVisa forum, whooosh, I was already logged in as "Peripheral".

Don't forget to log out, folks! :o

Did you post anything using the other knick ? If not, you should have. Old "Peripheral" has a grand total of 14 posts since joining in July '04.

At this rate, he won't get in to Bedlam for another 60+ years ! :D

Firefox has an option that will delete private information (cache, cookies, saved passwords, etc.) every time you quit and every time you start the application.

That's great, if you can convince the owners of the internet cafes to switch browsers.

From what I've seen around here, a lot of the people running internet "cafes" are not the brightest bulbs when it comes to computers.

The smart ones will limit user access and the ability to install 3rd party software (standard protocol for running a network, even a small one).

The "other" ones get people to set up their shops for them, and don't have a clue about running a network. I see a couple local shops where their computers are "down" more often than they are "up", mostly due to users fiddling with things they shouldn't.

Just for the hel_l of it, I checked one place out. I was able to access and do everything on their public computers as if it was my own machine (i.e. changed the internet settings, d/l'd and installed 3rd party apps like Google Earth). Never got a system error or warning message telling me I didn't have permission to do something.

Scary when you think about it. I make sure I delete the history, the cache and manually delete the temp Internet files if I use a public computer and go somewhere secure (banking site, paypal, online store, ect).