Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Phuket's Serial Bike Burner 'enjoyed It'

webfact

Phuket's serial bike burner 'enjoyed it'
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1367306934_1.jpg
Gen Choti with the arrest warrant for Thaweesak, who is currently undergoing further questioning.

PHUKET: -- Police last night (April 29) arrested a 37-year-old man for a series of motorbike arsons.

Maj Gen Choti Chavalviwat, Commander of Phuket Provincial Police told The Phuket News today that Thaweesak Nathang, who lives in Kathu, admitted to being a serial arsonist, having set fire to random motorbikes eight times in Kathu, Patong and Kamala.

“Finally, we have arrested the serial motorbike arsonist,” Gen Choti said.

“We asked him why he did it. He said he had no personal problem or conflict with the owners of the motorbikes. He just enjoyed it.

Gen Choti added, “We still have to find the culprits in another four cases [that Thaweesak does not admit to]. I want to warn other people who might think of copying him: Think again, because the punishment is up to seven years in prison.”

He also used the occasion to make another plea for more CCTV cameras for the island – something the government has so far been reluctant to help with. Better coverage might have resulted in an earlier arrest of the pyromaniac of Phuket.

“We do need more CCTV cameras for Phuket. We have only 300 cameras that are really usable. We need good quality CCTV coverage for the island’s security.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket%E2%80%99s-serial-bike-burner-%E2%80%98enjoyed-it%E2%80%99-39054.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-04-30

He should be given the benefit of doubt.

People are known to admit to crimes they did not commit.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Which the court may very well consider.

Why motorbikes? I don't know where I would begin if someone told me I had to torch one...I'd be afraid I'd get burned to death in explosion if I stuck a rag in the gas tank, assuming I could get the seat open.

Did he enjoy the fire aspect or the fact he left people without a means of transport and financial hardship?

Arsonists normally stick around to watch what they created. Was he identified at many of the scenes?

Edited by hansgruber
  • Like 1

Phuket bike burner confession treated as ambiguous, police continue search
Phuket Gazette -

PHUKET: A man who rambled while confessing to police that he had burned several motorbikes in Phuket has been arrested while police continue their investigation and look for accomplices.

Police picked up Thaweesak Nathang, 37, on Monday because he looks similar to a man seen in CCTV images of a motorbike burning in Kamala.

When questioned by police, Mr Thaweesak confessed to setting several motorbikes on fire on several occassions, but then seemed to retract his confession.

“He is still giving ambiguous statements,” Phuket Provincial Police Commander Choti Chavalviwat said.

“He is a motorbike taxi rider who lives in Patong. He was picked up on Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Road,” he said, “and charged with burning two motorbikes in Kamala.”

Maj Gen Choti said pointed out that police are investigating 17 separate cases of motorbike arson recently with 34 bikes damaged.

Gen Choti also reiterated his plea for government support.

“We need good-quality CCTV to cover all areas in Phuket,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-bike-burner-confession-treated-as-ambiguous-police-continue-search-20945.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-05-05