Pcmia-usb2

Dustoff

~

My HP Laptop has two USB1 ports but of course they are grindingly slow.

I am seeking a pcmia card with USB2 output and have checked the computer centers at the NW corner of the moat and on the super hiway and Pantip Plaza with no success.

If any of you see one somewhere in CM, please let me know, okay?

Thanks in advance...

Dustoff

Just for your information:

The organisation which governs usb standards decided in their wisdom to change the naming of usb standards a few years ago. As a result, ALL usb devices are currently known as usb 2.0 regardless of the speed at which they transfer data. There are in fact now three usb 2.0 standards:

usb 2.0 low speed (1.5 Mb/s)

usb 2.0 Full Speed (12 Mb/s)

usb 2.0 High Speed (480 Mb/s)

There are also two usb 2.0 logo's, one for usb 2.0 Low & Full Speed (originally known as usb 1.0) and the other for usb 2.0 High speed.

When you do find a pcmcia-usb2 adapter, ensure that it is labelled: usb2.0 High Speed

More details can be found at:

http://www.usb.org/developers/packaging/

Hope you find what you are looking for and this has been of some help

Slimdog

~

My HP Laptop has two USB1 ports but of course they are grindingly slow.

I am seeking a pcmia card with USB2 output and have checked the computer centers at the NW corner of the moat and on the super hiway and Pantip Plaza with no success.

If any of you see one somewhere in CM, please let me know, okay?

Thanks in advance...

You have to check that your PCMIA bus is 32 bit and not 16 bit as older laptops will be. A 32 bit or cardbus PCMIA card will not work in a 16 bit machine .

As I found out when I bought same on Phitsanulok for 900bht, will sell it for 500bht if you're interested, as it does not work in my IBM 240 Thinkpad.

Edited by fisherd3

You have to check that your PCMIA bus is 32 bit and not 16 bit as older laptops will be. A 32 bit or cardbus PCMIA card will not work in a 16 bit machine .

As I found out when I bought same on Phitsanulok for 900bht, will sell it for 500bht if you're interested, as it does not work in my IBM 240 Thinkpad.

Is seems I have to assume 32 bit. I have an 02micro 0Z6912 cardbus controller and could not find anything about the speed on the internet. My HP 4220 is only a couple of years old so I will take my chances. Is your card a usb2 high speed as mentioned above?

Pmail me and we will figger out how to make this happen. Hopefully you are in CM, yes?