Cabinet Okays New Bangkok City Plan

webfact

CITY PLAN
Cabinet okays new Bangkok City Plan

Somluck Srimalee
The Nation

30205173-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet yesterday approved a new Bangkok City Plan to replace the one in use since 2006 and due to expire on May 15. Property-industry observers say the new plan will open up new locations for development near the mass-transit routes.

The new "green" city plan will be vetted by municipal authorities before officially taking effect.

Panyapas Nopphan, deputy director-general of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's Department of City Planning, said the new plan covered four categories, up from three in the old one.

The three existing categories are land use, open spaces such as green areas, and mass transit, but the new plan adds the city's infrastructure system such as wastewater management, drainage, and solid-waste disposal.

The new Bangkok City Plan also revises the recognition of high-density locations, based on existing and planned routes of the two main urban-rail systems, BTS Skytrain and MRT.

"We revised some locations that had been considered low-density to be categorised as high-density when the transit routes pass through them because of the rising demand to live close the mass-transit system based on our experience since the implementation of the BTS and MRT," she said.

Other locations in Thon Buri, Bang Phlat and Bangkok Noi districts will change from high-density to moderate-population areas.

The changed density definitions will directly affect which areas property firms choose to develop for residential and commercial buildings.

For example, a change from a moderate-population designation to high-density will open up business opportunities to build homes with usable space of more than 10,000 square metres, depending on details of the location.

The new Bangkok City Plan also promotes environment-friendly buildings following the guidance of the Thai Green Building Institute by increasing floor area ratios, Panyapas said.

Pruksa Real Estate chief business officer Prasert Taedullayasatit said: "We have to study the details of the new city plan on which locations will change identity from moderate-population areas to high-density areas to support our business plan in the next five years."

However, he believes that new high-density designations will open business opportunities for property developers to open up new locations for residential projects, both low-rise and condominium projects.

"Some locations in moderate-population area that are now in more demand because of expansion of the mass-transit system have seen land prices rise too high to justify development of low-rise projects. The changes in the new Bangkok City Plan now will support development [of high-density projects such as condos] in such high-demand locations," he said.

Housing Business Association president Issara Boonyoung said the Cabinet's approval of the new Bangkok City Plan would encourage property firms that had been

waiting to see how it played out to go ahead and launch new residential and commercial building projects.

He added that the new plan was similar to the old 2006 one in many respects, but recognised the changes in population density due to the mass-transit routes.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-01

The city plan should also take into account the lack of town planning. Continuing to build mass occupancy dwellings on every square foot of land in the choked city does nothing to relieve the traffic and subsequent pollution. You would think logically run the MRT and BTS system further out and the city may decentralise. Greening up the city which is nothing more than a concrete jungle also would help.

• Like 2

Housing Business Association president Issara Boonyoung said the Cabinet's approval of the new Bangkok City Plan would encourage property firms that had been waiting to see how it played out to go ahead and launch new residential and commercial building projects.

Well Khun Issara, it seems that the property firms are way, way ahead of you. It's hardly earth shattering news, but even more plots located left and right of the BTS' from Udom Suk - where I live - into central Bangkok are being cleared for condo/ mall building preparation.

Is this simply about housing supply and market demand; if so, who actually buys these apartments and condos?

The city plan should also take into account the lack of town planning. Continuing to build mass occupancy dwellings on every square foot of land in the choked city does nothing to relieve the traffic and subsequent pollution. You would think logically run the MRT and BTS system further out and the city may decentralise. Greening up the city which is nothing more than a concrete jungle also would help.

Agree, it is time to extend the lines waaaay further and increase the number of trains going (since they tend to overcrowd already).

Next step would be to stop building more shopping malls around Siam square; spread them around the city near all skytrain and underground stations. That way not all 10mln people in Bangkok have to come to Siam square to shop during the weekend.

Agree, it is time to extend the lines waaaay further and increase the number of trains going (since they tend to overcrowd already).

Next step would be to stop building more shopping malls around Siam square; spread them around the city near all skytrain and underground stations. That way not all 10mln people in Bangkok have to come to Siam square to shop during the weekend.

But where is the easy money in that concept.

But where is the easy money in that concept.

Exactly!

There needs to be more trains but until they are cleared to steal 50% of it nothing will be built.

• Like 1

wonder if theyl start putting the cables underground,mmmmm i swa it only once in phuket one day when i was driving,and i thought something looks different until the wife noticed,it was only about 300 ft but what a difference it maked,i know perhaps you think im being silly but you look at singerpore cleanest VIEW i ever saw,,,

"However, he believes that new high-density designations will open business opportunities for property developers to open up new locations for residential projects, both low-rise and condominium projects."

Really? Ya think...?

wonder if theyl start putting the cables underground,mmmmm i swa it only once in phuket one day when i was driving,and i thought something looks different until the wife noticed,it was only about 300 ft but what a difference it maked,i know perhaps you think im being silly but you look at singerpore cleanest VIEW i ever saw,,,

No. It is much more cost effective to tie the electric cables to steel pedestrian bridges, so that when it rains you get a nice buzz...

Edited by bangon04

"

The three existing categories are land use, open spaces such as green areas, and mass transit, but the new plan adds the city's infrastructure system such as wastewater management, drainage, and solid-waste disposal."

Better late than never ,I guess ........

"However, he believes that new high-density designations will open business opportunities for property developers to open up new locations for residential projects, both low-rise and condominium projects."

Really? Ya think...?

Your comment suggests this is a bad idea? It's great policy to restrict high density development to areas served by the BTS/MRT/ARL.

The problem is with enforcement. There is way too much negativity and misunderstanding in this thread. Both the existing (2006) and draft (2013) plans are pretty good on paper, compared to other global peer cities, however the major problem lies with enforcement, which the BMA is guilty of doing a really shit job. THIS is the problem, not the planning itself.

I'm surprised there's no comment in the article from Srettha Thaveesin, president of Sansiri. Surely he would have a well-founded opinion on the updated Bangkok City plan. It's in line with his (companies) field of expertise, isn't it ?