Thaksin Expresses Wish To Return To Thailand Without Seeking Any Position

webfact

so, after all the detours let's return to the topic of Thaksin expresses his wish which by some are seen as his commands. Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm already working on it, as told.

A bit more than one and a half year ago we had an interview with Thaksin saying "when I come back and I do not take revenge all will like me" or something similar.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, after all the detours let's return to the topic of Thaksin expresses his wish which by some are seen as his commands. Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm already working on it, as told.

A bit more than one and a half year ago we had an interview with Thaksin saying "when I come back and I do not take revenge all will like me" or something similar.

Yeah so lets get back to the topic.

On the quote you posted, what has Thaksin said that makes you quote him in bold? What is your point?

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

We all know Thaksin speaks the truth don't we?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/feb/28/thailand1

From the above article.

Thaksin again reiterated his vow, treated with scepticism, that he was finished with politics and would not meddle behind the scenes. The recently-elected government of the People Power party, however, is packed with his allies.

This iteration is called Pheua Thai. People Power was the last one. Just like General Suchinda in 1992 he will proclaim from the rooftops that he has no intention of accepting any political post. Then events will be engineered so that he can claim he had to respond to the overwhelming clamour of the people to become PM and be the champion of democracy again to delight The Economist and the BBC.

Thaksin has a reputation of being truthful and transparent ...........

and lies on CNN

I liked the breaking news flash under the second interview saying that Saddam Hussein's half brother had just been hanged and his head was separated from his body in the process - the hangman at first thought he had escaped. In his rant about military coups, Thaksin failed to point out that in the gentlemanly style of Thai coups he avoided the fate of Sadam and his clan and that the court even allowed him to leave the country, giving him the option to go into exile and avoid a prison sentence for corruption.

You also gotta love the way he talks about working hard and sacrificing his personal life for 6 years, while amassing massive fortunes for himself and his cronies at the taxpayers' expense at the same time. Enough is never enough for some people.

• Like 1

Thaksin has a reputation of being truthful and transparent ...........

and lies on CNN

I liked the breaking news flash under the second interview saying that Saddam Hussein's half brother had just been hanged and his head was separated from his body in the process - the hangman at first thought he had escaped. In his rant about military coups, Thaksin failed to point out that in the gentlemanly style of Thai coups he avoided the fate of Sadam and his clan and that the court even allowed him to leave the country, giving him the option to go into exile and avoid a prison sentence for corruption.

You also gotta love the way he talks about working hard and sacrificing his personal life for 6 years, while amassing massive fortunes for himself and his cronies at the taxpayers' expense at the same time. Enough is never enough for some people.

The army then the Democrats had the thick end of 5 years to indict him, why didn't they?

There are many who liken the "cult" behind this guy to a certain short Austrian artist with a funny moustache. However, this kind of populist cult is better paralleled to the "Peronist" style of popular policies that look good for a few moments and keep everyone busy while really the country is going to rack and ruin through the plunder being wrought through corruption, incompetence and outright thievery. Peron could do no wrong and while his wife beguiled the masses with her appeal he and his cronies ruined their countries entire economic base. There are still Peronist cult followers even now, 60+ years later, as will there always be apologists and sympathises for Thuggy and his clan. King John's Magna Carta (the world's first constitution giving rights to ordinary people) and the war of the feudal barons is another good example, John threw it out with the Popes blessing, and what ensued was a long list of wars and instability, that happened over 800 years ago but it seems like us humans just like to repeat the same thing over and over again.

I like the analogy. It fits in some ways.

As corrupt as he was, his supporters needed to be promised things in order to get the govt to run in the same direction. I think Thailand works or runs well, once the corruption is sorted out. He achieved that and when he was PM there were populist policies in place and the people in villages were seeing money coming in. Some of it was just gifted, in a way, but really when people are this poor its not necessarily a bad thing. He established a better health care system than the Prakansankom (it offers better coverage) and he was an effective statesman.

A crook? yes.

And that is what it takes to run things here. Look how effective Mark was when he was PM. Operating with integrity is not going to be effective in Thailand in the short term, IMHO.

• Like 1

There are many who liken the "cult" behind this guy to a certain short Austrian artist with a funny moustache. However, this kind of populist cult is better paralleled to the "Peronist" style of popular policies that look good for a few moments and keep everyone busy while really the country is going to rack and ruin through the plunder being wrought through corruption, incompetence and outright thievery. Peron could do no wrong and while his wife beguiled the masses with her appeal he and his cronies ruined their countries entire economic base. There are still Peronist cult followers even now, 60+ years later, as will there always be apologists and sympathises for Thuggy and his clan. King John's Magna Carta (the world's first constitution giving rights to ordinary people) and the war of the feudal barons is another good example, John threw it out with the Popes blessing, and what ensued was a long list of wars and instability, that happened over 800 years ago but it seems like us humans just like to repeat the same thing over and over again.

I like the analogy. It fits in some ways.

As corrupt as he was, his supporters needed to be promised things in order to get the govt to run in the same direction. I think Thailand works or runs well, once the corruption is sorted out. He achieved that and when he was PM there were populist policies in place and the people in villages were seeing money coming in. Some of it was just gifted, in a way, but really when people are this poor its not necessarily a bad thing. He established a better health care system than the Prakansankom (it offers better coverage) and he was an effective statesman.

A crook? yes.

And that is what it takes to run things here. Look how effective Mark was when he was PM. Operating with integrity is not going to be effective in Thailand in the short term, IMHO.

Yes he probably is, but the people in his party and those he invited into the coalition, i don't this so.

The thing that really must stick in his craw is he is the only hi so to ever get convicted to jail time! i expect many politicians don't want him to come back and go to prison as it would set a much needed precedent of know one being to big to break the law and do time!

Others have been convicted. They usually get released on bail to appeal. Justice if VEEERRRY slow in Thailand.

Your correct of course. Could Thaksin not appeal now? and come back? Surely in the Thai legal system there is some way he could appeal from where he is, delayed due to some strange circumstance etc Could they give him some type of Government position, and then come back when parliament is in session and he would have immunity for a period of time.

If he can appeal from where he is then his trials for the other alleged offences can go ahead as well.

The thing that really must stick in his craw is he is the only hi so to ever get convicted to jail time! i expect many politicians don't want him to come back and go to prison as it would set a much needed precedent of know one being to big to break the law and do time!

Others have been convicted. They usually get released on bail to appeal. Justice if VEEERRRY slow in Thailand.

Your correct of course. Could Thaksin not appeal now? and come back? Surely in the Thai legal system there is some way he could appeal from where he is, delayed due to some strange circumstance etc Could they give him some type of Government position, and then come back when parliament is in session and he would have immunity for a period of time.

If he can appeal from where he is then his trials for the other alleged offences can go ahead as well.

Of course and hopefully they do go ahead, but i go back to my original point, when has anyone who is at least a little bit connected/wealthy ever seen prison time? He fairly clearly broke the law and should be punished, but there are many out there the same, who will also never see a prison cell. Hence my original comment regarding a craw in is throat, and political.

A crook? yes.

And that is what it takes to run things here. Look how effective Mark was when he was PM.

Not really a fair comparison though is it? For one, Mark was leading a coalition government that was pretty divided. For two, he had about half a term in charge. And for three, most of his energy was tied up in fighting a violent attempt at toppling him. Do you think in those circumstances, someone like Thaksin, with those "benefits" you mention of being crooked, would have actually done any better?

Is he not responsible for who he invites into the party? Surely if they were crooks he would not have asked them. Or he has not choice which is probably true.

A crook? yes.

And that is what it takes to run things here. Look how effective Mark was when he was PM.

Not really a fair comparison though is it? For one, Mark was leading a coalition government that was pretty divided. For two, he had about half a term in charge. And for three, most of his energy was tied up in fighting a violent attempt at toppling him. Do you think in those circumstances, someone like Thaksin, with those "benefits" you mention of being crooked, would have actually done any better?

unless you are corrupt and play by the rules of the corrupt system, you will always be trying to obtain a coalition, or be handicapped in some way.... is my point.

• Like 1

thaksin +g bush same same and he was the leader of the free world,just as corrupt ,only seriously retarded,michael moore read him then youl get it

I was under the impression the OP was about Thaksin, not George Bush or Michael Moore. Silly me.

• Like 1

Who said Thais can't be dual Nationals? Abhisit and his family is, amongst many other Thais!

I don't think Abhisit's family have dual nationality. Abhisit has British citizenship through birth, but doesn't have a British passport.

British Citizenship comes first,and then the Citizen has a right to a British Passport,its just a formality,and a right to the new Citizen.

Actually, Thailand doesn't accept dual citizenship . . . but in typical Thai manner it is murky. Look it up and you will find that is is a no-no but some have it. TiT

The real arrogance here is that he pays not even lipservice to serving his jail term or making resitution.

Best he can come up with is vague promises about not stirring the pot.

He jumped bail, he owes jailtime to the nationbased on his conviction/s. He had a trial unlike 2500+ people he had summarily executed.

Yingluck will.shove something thru parliment before she leaves. She's one trick pony back working for the family when her term ends and she is not reelected.

• Like 1

Of course and hopefully they do go ahead, but i go back to my original point, when has anyone who is at least a little bit connected/wealthy ever seen prison time? He fairly clearly broke the law and should be punished, but there are many out there the same, who will also never see a prison cell. Hence my original comment regarding a craw in is throat, and political.

The argument you seem to be making is because others have got away with it / get away with it, so should Thaksin. Justice has to start somewhere, and why not with the highest profile offender? It would be a start would it not? It would set a precedent. If we go on saying, well why should x be punished when y got off scot-free, the process of change will never every begin. You have to start somewhere.

Not at all, he can be the first, last, middle whenever, but it wont happen and in never will. He should be punished but it wont be pushed for, because the persons "pushing" are equally guilty on many of the charges.

The army then the Democrats had the thick end of 5 years to indict him, why didn't they?

Because he wasn't here for most of it.

Does that stop the courts pursuing a conviction in absentia?

Yes. That's why none of the other charges against him have proceeded. He has to be at the court to "accept" the charges.

Yes. That's why none of the other charges against him have proceeded. He has to be at the court to "accept" the charges.

I stand corrected then. I am playing devils advocate a little here, but all evidence considered there is little doubt the charges and conviction are motivated more for the man rather than the crime.

I stand corrected then. I am playing devils advocate a little here, but all evidence considered there is little doubt the charges and conviction are motivated more for the man rather than the crime.

The fact that he was PM while committing most (all?) of the crimes doesn't make it hard to scream "political". I think the charges and conviction are motivated more by the position he was in.

The fact that he was PM while committing most (all?) of the crimes doesn't make it hard to scream "political". I think the charges and conviction are motivated more by the position he was in.

I think you are living in dream world, not Thailand. It would be ideal for all crimes of what ever elk be punished, and one (Thaksin's) are better then none, but there is no doubt it is a political/who he annoyed issue. The PTP have a few, but there is a current Dem MP who is the one and only suspect for a murder at a petrol forecourt recently, but did the opposition set an example of him? I am digressing anyway.

Actually, the evidence was clear and he was clearly convicted based upon the rule of law, the same principle that his sister was lamenting about in Mongolia. The evidence in his still pending cases is significant and awaits his return.

Brd199, I am not questioning his guilt, i think he is guilty, waht i am questioning is why he has been convicted, when there are numerous of cases, political/criminal which have never made any progress when they are pretty much open and shit cases, for far more severe crimes.

Can you answer this. If Thaksin was a standing member of parliament or a member of the opposition who committed a crime, would he be found guilty or would the case ever go to court?

Brd199, I am not questioning his guilt, i think he is guilty, waht i am questioning is why he has been convicted, when there are numerous of cases, political/criminal which have never made any progress when they are pretty much open and shit cases, for far more severe crimes.

Can you answer this. If Thaksin was a standing member of parliament or a member of the opposition who committed a crime, would he be found guilty or would the case ever go to court?

There are a number of cases for standing MPs that are currently in process. If Thaksin didn't flee, and appealed, his 5 year political ban would be finished and he could probably be an MP (most likely PM). His numerous other cases would be ongoing, and if there was a conviction he would have appealed.

There are a number of cases for standing MPs that are currently in process. If Thaksin didn't flee, and appealed, his 5 year political ban would be finished and he could probably be an MP (most likely PM). His numerous other cases would be ongoing, and if there was a conviction he would have appealed.

So other than his guilt, what does or did he fear in the Thai system? However much people dislike the guy, he is a sharp cookie, so what stopped him coming back?