Thai Hospitals To Start Implementing Pay-For-Performance

webfact

Hospitals to start implementing P4P

BANGKOK, 2 May 2013 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health’s Pay-for-Performance (P4P) initiative will be implemented in some hospitals that are ready, at the beginning of May.

Public Health Minister MD Pradit Sinthawanarong said the performance-based assessment system, recently approved by the cabinet, will cover all personnel involved in patient service in the field of health services, management as well as academic.

The scoring system is flexible, depending on practicality.

According to Doctor Pradit, the 3 billion baht budget for the scheme, previously approved by the cabinet, is divided into 3 parts: The first will be allocated for retrospective payment under the old system from October 2012 to March 2013.

The second will be used to assist hospital experiencing financial problems. And the last part is for the new payment system under P4P, from April to September 2013.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-05-02 footer_n.gif

To make P4P work they would have to bring all hospitals up to the same level of technical ability.

Also make hospitalization financially reachable for all people.

I know they are in the midst of debating that on emergency cases but what about cases where the people are not an emergency.

For some reason every time my mother in law has to go into the hospital I get stuck with half the bill. The government will not pay it all. If I didn't have the money she would be out in the street.

I have a friend back in Canada who had to wait over one year for triple bypass surgery. This was because he could not afford to pay the over $100,000 American money in the states and had to wait for the room in Canada. They assured him if it was an emergency they would move him up.

I don't think many people realise how little hospital staff - nurse aids and practical nurses for example - are paid. Forget about the 300 baht a day minimum wage!

You may go to a private hospital and get great treatment from smiling, dedicated nurses and other staff who are being paid a pittance. Here in Chiang Mai for example (real case) a trained Practical Nurse with a few year's experience who starts in a private hospital like Ram or McCormick to work will be paid 6,500 baht a month for a 44-48 hour week. To earn more she'll be obliged to work 12 or 16 hour days on double and night shifts to make maybe 9,000 baht a month. And she'll be expected to pay c.2,000 baht for her medical exam at application out of her own pocket and then pay for her uniform out of her own pocket too!

Typically nurses live with their parents or other family who subsidide them, or they share the rent of an apartment 3 or 4 people to a room. Please remember this next time you go for a check up or treatment...and support nurses in their fight for better pay. I suspect this latest P4P is another scheme to avoid paying our health service staff what they deserve.

I beg to differ on this one

Know a few nurses and they all live in dorms at or near the hospitals that work at

It is all subsidized by their employer.

My nurse GF pays less than 1k for her dorm room / 2 people per room

No traffic or travel expenses

They ear food for cheap at hospitals.

All in all many nurse do pretty good in Thailand when compared to other occupations

I don't think many people realise how little hospital staff - nurse aids and practical nurses for example - are paid. Forget about the 300 baht a day minimum wage!

You may go to a private hospital and get great treatment from smiling, dedicated nurses and other staff who are being paid a pittance. Here in Chiang Mai for example (real case) a trained Practical Nurse with a few year's experience who starts in a private hospital like Ram or McCormick to work will be paid 6,500 baht a month for a 44-48 hour week. To earn more she'll be obliged to work 12 or 16 hour days on double and night shifts to make maybe 9,000 baht a month. And she'll be expected to pay c.2,000 baht for her medical exam at application out of her own pocket and then pay for her uniform out of her own pocket too!

Typically nurses live with their parents or other family who subsidide them, or they share the rent of an apartment 3 or 4 people to a room. Please remember this next time you go for a check up or treatment...and support nurses in their fight for better pay. I suspect this latest P4P is another scheme to avoid paying our health service staff what they deserve.

I beg to differ on this one

Know a few nurses and they all live in dorms at or near the hospitals that work at

It is all subsidized by their employer.

My nurse GF pays less than 1k for her dorm room / 2 people per room

No traffic or travel expenses

They ear food for cheap at hospitals.

All in all many nurse do pretty good in Thailand when compared to other occupations

Not sure what you are saying. That it is fine to be paid substantially less than the min wage if you are a nurse?

The example I gave is an actual one, all salary details exactly as is. My friend lived in a dorm too as a trainee and that's standard (your nurse GF is probably not a registered nurse yet, right?) , but once trained, as my friend is, they have to fend for themselves. And no free meals. 6,500 baht a month, for 44 hours in her case. And pays for the other stuff.

And no doubt, if she was working for a private hospital she would be billed out at 500 baht per hour.

Hospitals, Nana Plaza and Walking Street ... is everything here pay for performance?

Seems you are a bit confused. Walking st and Nana are typically pay for poor or non participatory service. P4P at entertainment venues would be a Godsend.

Edited by atyclb

Is the idea of this to really screw the quality of patient care up? Doctors will be pushing patients out as fast as they can minimizing interaction with them in order to 'claim' their performance pay.

Isn't that already par for the course ?

jb1

Money before care, soulless, godless people....that is Thailand.

No different than any other country.

Hear, hear. It is no different. It's easy to sit on this board and hurl invective, but how could they ever improve anything with this much naysaying going on. It's no wonder a lot of Thais don't like us. Foreigners are rude. Come here cuz it's inexpensive to live, easy sex, cheap beer, sunshine all year round, then bitch about every piece of infrastructure (I've NEVER had wifi this consistent in some of the places I've been in around Europe or even in some of my old neighborhoods in the Bay Area, California!) and the world's cheapest healthcare for the money...I don't know, I just think a person takes things as he finds them and makes the best of it. You don't have to pay taxes here (you can even get your VAT back at the airport! We could do it every year, but it's just too much p/w, besides, I feel like it's a donation.) Just because I've been crushed under the wheel of the classism in the US doesn't give me the right to come here and bitch about things here with a level of entitlement. "Soulless and godless" is a bit harsh and unfair.

• Like 1

Hospitals, Nana Plaza and Walking Street ... is everything here pay for performance?

P4P= Pay for play same as every where 555- It will all be absorbed by the officials, very little will get to the people making the difference.

• Like 1

If Bangkok-Pattaya hospital had been on a P4P scheme with me they would have only charged me 1 thousand baht instead of the 13.

If ever there was a place that needs investigating for overcharging, prolonging your treatment and unnecessary tests Bangkok-Pattaya hospital is it.