Getting Violent On Sukhumvit

monochaser

Sounds like a standard night out on Sukh.

When out in these areas I go by the saying "be the man in gray"..it's old army slang....it means to blend in and go unnoticed. Being drunk, acting macho and confrontational, getting into bad situations etc.. are all signs of idiots and/or people who are fresh/newbies in town. Fun to watch though :o

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like a very dangerous place. I hope that my friend Griffer is ok.

If your friend uses common sense he should be fine, I walked the streets of Sukhumvit 3 hours a day for the 2 weeks I was in bkk, never had a problem. But if you are out walking alone at 2am in the morning, that is not using common sense.

I walked alone up until 9pm and was fine, anytime I was out after that I was with friends.

Of course it helps that I don't drink, and never carried a wallet I always carried small amount of baht in front pockets nothing in back pockets.

Drunken violence can rear it's ugly head anywhere across the world at 2am on a Sunday morning.

It's not just the areas in Sukhumvit that suffer from violence.

In Bangkok, I've seen a couple of big battles involving Thais in the entertainment areas of Ratchada soi 4 and Khampeng Phet as well.

You are so right about that, there are many cities here in USA I would never be caught dead at 2am here. And if I were there at 2am in the morning I would probably be FOUND dead.

Herb

post-5479-1218849679_thumb.jpg

"..All the animals come out at night - whores, skunk pussies, buggers, queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, sick, venal. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.." :o

Those kind of people obviously do NOT believe in God or an kind of afterlife!

When out in these areas I go by the saying "be the man in gray"..it's old army slang....it means to blend in and go unnoticed. Being drunk, acting macho and confrontational, getting into bad situations etc.. are all signs of idiots and/or people who are fresh/newbies in town. Fun to watch though :o

Good point kiakah. But about ten years ago I went out for a drink with a good mate of mine and beknown to me (and him) are drinks were surreptiosly spiked by one of his former 'flames' who accosted us on the side-walk on Sukhumvit.

Apparently he hadn't - at the time - paid her for services rendered.

The next thing I recall was falling over a small wall somewhere near Sukhumvit and waking up the next morning in my house. Apparently I took a taxi home but there is today no personal recollection of what really happened that night other than my friend being harrassed and falling over that wall!

Oh hel_l... yep, I've had the same thing happen to me. I was on my way back to my hotel, walking along Suk at about 4am when a rather rough looking ladyboy aproached me and asked if I wanted to go with him/her. I politely said no thank you but as I walked on I could hear the clip-clopping of his high heel shoes following me. A taxi driver was waiting just footsteps away and asked if I wanted a ride, in hinsight I think you could see in his eyes he knew what was going to happen but stupidly I said that I was okay as my hotel was just around the corner. So I continued walking and about 15 meters further along I reached the Asok BTS where I found 2 more ladyboys waiting under the pillar. So now these two ladyboys along with the one that had been following surrounded me and started grabbing at my crotch and riffling through my pockets. One of them managed to get my wallet and quickly hid it behind his back. I managed to grab the wallet back but in doing so a 1000baht note had fallen out and in an instant one of the ladyboys tried to hide it by putting his big ol' high heel shoe on it (on the kings head!). These really were particularly rough, desperate and quite scary looking ladyboys but all of a sudden they started running off and when I looked up I saw, out of nowhere, a Thai policeman chasing them down the street.

I was an idiot for walking alone so late at night and for carrying big notes with me but, after so many times walking along and never once before having any real problems... you get kind of blasé!

Still, by and large I find most areas of bkk feel very very safe. Just treat people with respect and also understand that anywhere in the world desperate people may well do desperate things - so be sensible.

I think there are many people that follow that advice. Maybe that's why they don't have problems. Katoey pickpockets are like hyenas: The can smell the weak and sickly.

........ I wonder if this is the same katoey?

You got a point there ... and their 'advantage' is that they are known to Bangkoks finest already... stay away from them, that time of the night they usually mean trouble!

......as I go by the saying "be the man in gray"..it's old army slang....it means to blend in and go unnoticed. Being drunk, acting macho and confrontational, getting into bad situations etc.. are all signs of idiots and/or people who are fresh/newbies in town. Fun to watch though :o

Blend in, do not react, don't listen, don't turn your head...just go your way or jump in a cab!

I know, I know it's often simply too hard not to...but then the ball is in your own court, often rather tough to handle!

7-8 years in BBK now.

Been to all kinds of places.

Never any problems on the streets/bars.

Anyone approaches you, and talk to you. Just smile and then shake your head.

Do not talk back, because that means you have made a connection.

Never ever keep any eye contact.

Still, by and large I find most areas of bkk feel very very safe. Just treat people with respect and also understand that anywhere in the world desperate people may well do desperate things - so be sensible.

I never, ever feel unsafe in BKK even late at night, but then again i am a big guy and a badass, and the degenerates know theyll wake up in the gutter if the try something. STILL, why treat these shitbag losers with respect, when they dont treat you with any. The touts, "want massage" guys and ladyboys, they need to be put in place. For that reason i dont smile, dont say "no thank you", i now tell them to go hang themselves in a lamppost. That and i carry a weapon.

I never, ever feel unsafe in BKK even late at night, but then again i am a big guy and a badass, and the degenerates know theyll wake up in the gutter if the try something. STILL, why treat these shitbag losers with respect, when they dont treat you with any. The touts, "want massage" guys and ladyboys, they need to be put in place. For that reason i dont smile, dont say "no thank you", i now tell them to go hang themselves in a lamppost. That and i carry a weapon.

i think you've watched one too many dirty harry movies :o

The GOOD the BAD and the UGLY (with a weapon)

I've seen you on Suk (I think)

Well true, it's hard to give respect when someone has no respect for you or themselves. However whenever I'm in other peoples countries I do try and be as humble as I can and in general just one hellova great guy! It's amazing how many potentially volatile situations pieter out into nothing when you don't add fuel to the fire. Also, having a cool head often gains respect from locals (and people in general) and at times this, maybe at the present or in the future, can be a handy thing to have. Then again, I'm not a big guy or a badass... just a chipper chappy!

As for the ladyboys, look at the ones that try that shit on... they're messed up... those are some desperate and crazed out people. If you get some yaba user needing a fix and add to that, possibly sick... shit, it's kinda easy to see why it happens.

That and i carry a weapon.

I do not wear tight fitting pants or lycra so my "weapon" is not on display for all the katoeys to ogle. :D

I was thinking he meant his arms...post-35489-1218992643.jpg

:o

Haha. It does fit. What exactly did the poor lad do to get banned anyway? His posts seemed harmless enough.

This sounds like a very dangerous place. I hope that my friend Griffer is ok.

If your friend uses common sense he should be fine, I walked the streets of Sukhumvit 3 hours a day for the 2 weeks I was in bkk, never had a problem. But if you are out walking alone at 2am in the morning, that is not using common sense.

I walked alone up until 9pm and was fine, anytime I was out after that I was with friends.

Of course it helps that I don't drink, and never carried a wallet I always carried small amount of baht in front pockets nothing in back pockets.

wow dude next time just dont leave the hotel, then you can carry really big bht currency and even have a sherry or 2 and your gonna be really safe :o

7-8 years in BBK now.

Been to all kinds of places.

Never any problems on the streets/bars.

Anyone approaches you, and talk to you. Just smile and then shake your head.

Do not talk back, because that means you have made a connection.

Never ever keep any eye contact.

I know almost no one who goes out at night in the Asoke/Nana area and has not had a ladyboy run in or two. I would also caution that being nice and talking to them won't help you out of these situations, as they are trying to rob you.

It is interesting to see the mixed bag of reactions and counter-reactions to the ladyboy aggressiveness/robbery attempts. I have personally knocked down two ladyboys with no repercussions; then again, they were trying to rob me or my friend.

One very important thing to do (or not to do) in Thailand is draw blood or break bones. If there is no physical result of what you did, you can likely get away with it if the only witness is some low end ladyboys.

Never had any trouble with them, and I regularly wander around after 2am. Maybe just lucky.

I know never to trust them though as they are basically men who are likely to be pretty desperate.

With a head like your what did you expect?

I didn't know a handbag was classed as a weapon??

We're all late night katoey-robber experts. Myself, Ive been grotch grabbed 4, 567 times this week alone!

Have you tried pulling up your zip? just a thought.

Cheers, Rick

To make my regular evening activities all the easier, Rick, I don't bother with trousers.

cheers,

will

We're all late night katoey-robber experts. Myself, Ive been grotch grabbed 4, 567 times this week alone!

Have you tried pulling up your zip? just a thought.

Cheers, Rick

To make my regular evening activities all the easier, Rick, I don't bother with trousers.

cheers,

will

Well there lies your problem my good man!

Cheers, Rick