Toddler Among Six Dead In Thai South Shooting: Official

webfact

The international news agencies are still on about Boston and CNN has a " special " almost everyday but no mention of tragedies like this other than locally and Channel New Asia

thailand may loose face if its in the western news ( or scare away tourists)

I wasn't aware that there was a tourist industry in the three southern provinces.

unfortunately persons in the west are not aware of the difference, and just think of all Thailand has the same problems

if they read the news

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The international news agencies are still on about Boston and CNN has a " special " almost everyday but no mention of tragedies like this other than locally and Channel New Asia

thailand may loose face if its in the western news ( or scare away tourists)

I wasn't aware that there was a tourist industry in the three southern provinces.

unfortunately persons in the west are not aware of the difference, and just think of all Thailand has the same problems

if they read the news

I think a lot of them are warned of it by travel agents and I am sure a lot of back packers research there trips.

All though I have to admit I was looking at some of the beaches and they did look inviting. But there are lots of beautiful beaches in Thailand where you don't have to worry about terrorists.

I am pretty sure this is rogue gov't forces. The insurgents have been scoring some impressive victories and have shown a great deal of sophistication in the past while.

The insurgents have killed and maimed a lot of soldiers, police and officials. It's payback time.

I have a feeling they won't catch the perpetrators.

"Six dead bodies in Pattani is a lesson for Thais to remember that we

will kill everyone, including women and children. We will fight for our

great BRN movement and force Thais to accept our demands," said the

leaflet.

I'm confused - are you saying the security forces are also distributing leaflets for the BRN, or the BRN are falsely claiming security forces operations?

UPDATE:
SOUTH CRISIS
Woman to leave South after son, husband slain

THE NATION

PATTANI: -- There is no longer anything keeping a Pattani woman from moving back to her hometown in the Northeast after she lost her husband and 2-year-old son in an insurgent attack on Wednesday night.

Watcharin Nuansai, 34, lost her husband Samarn Hiangma, 38, and son Jakarin Hiangma, 2, in the drive-by shooting.

Families and friends of four other civilians killed in the attack remained in shock yesterday.

"My husband told me every day that he wanted to move to Buri Ram, my parents' hometown, but we couldn't do that. We didn't have enough money to start a new life there. So, we had to continue to live and work here, even though we feared death. Now, I've lost both my husband and son. Right after I finish their funeral rites here, I will definitely migrate to Buri Ram. I don't want others in my family to be killed," Watcharin told Isra News Agency yesterday.

Samarn and Jakarin were among the six people killed at Watcharin's grocery store in Tambon Rusamelae of Pattani's Muang district on Wednesday night when four men on two motorcycles opened fire at them.

Watcharin, whose eyes were red from crying hard, said she was a Buri Ram native whose family moved to Pattani when she was 8 years old. The violence in recent years caused her and her relatives to plan to move back to their hometown.

"Most of the victims were sitting at my outdoor table set in front of my grocery store. I had been sitting with them there but later I went to the restroom to take a bath. I heard loud gunfire so I rushed to see what was going on. I saw smoke there and heard the gunfire again, so I went back to hide in the restroom. Then, authorities took me to hide in an area at the back of my house as they feared more attacks."

"I followed the authorities to a hospital but have not seen my husband and son's bodies. I'm waiting for a temple's pavilion to become vacant and available for hosting their funeral. My husband's relatives are coming from Nong Bua Lamphu to join the rites. [samarn and Jakarin] will be cremated on Monday.

"It would have been better if we'd all been killed. It's too painful to me to see their belongings and miss them. [The attackers] were very cruel as they killed a 2-year old who was innocent," she said.

Watcharin's mother, Samrit Nuansai, said her family had settled in Pattani about 30 years ago. However, her relatives in Buri Ram kept asking her when her family would move back as they were worried about their safety.

"I told them that we might not be unlucky and killed here as we've rented a house in an urban area and are only 200 metres from the authorities' checkpoint. However, we ended up getting attacked," Samrit said.

Adul Duangkaeo, 40, who narrowly survived the gun attack but was seriously wounded, is being treated at Pattani Hospital.

He said he stood near the shop and saw the four men on the motorbikes, who were dressed like army rangers, so he did not think they were separatists.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-03

Very sad. If this were a pro-government death squad as some of the ThaiVisa detective squad are claiming, you'd think they'd be targeting local Muslims supporting the insurgency. Sounds like these were just normal Thais who were targeted. Also in the picture of the supermarket it looks like Buddhist paraphernalia on the wall...I guess we'll never get the full story on this.

Edited by squarethecircle

Again repeated in the English language media today that a checkpoint was only 200 meters from the shop where the murders occurred and that the four killers, after the initial shooting, walked into the shop for the head shots to ensure death. then departed, apparently without hindrance.

For the moment putting aside the appalling brutality, what were the people manning the checkpoint doing? Were they unarmed, not trained, what's going on?

Again repeated in the English language media today that a checkpoint was only 200 meters from the shop where the murders occurred and that the four killers, after the initial shooting, walked into the shop for the head shots to ensure death. then departed, apparently without hindrance.

For the moment putting aside the appalling brutality, what were the people manning the checkpoint doing? Were they unarmed, not trained, what's going on?

Obeying orders not to leave their post?

Edited by OzMick

Very sad. If this were a pro-government death squad as some of the ThaiVisa detective squad are claiming, you'd think they'd be targeting local Muslims supporting the insurgency. Sounds like these were just normal Thais who were targeted. Also in the picture of the supermarket it looks like Buddhist paraphernalia on the wall...I guess we'll never get the full story on this.

That's a very good point. If it was a rogue group from the gov't, I would guess they would have some particular people or places in mind as targets. Insurgents, on the other hand, are more than happy to terrorize the local Buddhist community.

Agreed. The media in the USA does not even tell its viewers and readers that thousands have died in the past decade in the "restive South" of Thailand. It gets nary a bit of air-time. Sad world when so many die and are deemed unimportant.

Agreed. The media in the USA does not even tell its viewers and readers that thousands have died in the past decade in the "restive South" of Thailand. It gets nary a bit of air-time. Sad world when so many die and are deemed unimportant.

It's not just the media in the US...a terrorist attack in the US gets extra attention around the world since it's the current superpower, has a vast military and other powers, and for other reasons I don't understand. Even the Chinese blogosphere went hyperactive about the Boston blasts...and barely registered when 15 Chinese police have just been killed in a counter-terrorism operation in Xinjiang.

Are people still insisting that the common factor in all of these terrorist activities - the religion of peace - is irrelevant here?

And this from today's Nation on TV. No link as yet, so I'm posting here. Cheers Mods.

Defence Minister Sukampol Suwannathat has criticised the media for its extended coverage of the incident, saying that the locals were not "actually demoralised, as the questions they were asked during interviews were meant to suggest".

"The media should also condemn this attack and the violence," he commented.

"It is normal [to have] losses; it's a small problem that is being fixed, but don't use the word 'demoralisation'. Those facing the losses will be compensated under normal procedures," he added.

Normal is it, a small problem, is it, Sukhumpol? Throw money at people, and that makes everything alright, does it, Sukhumpol?

Go tell this obsequious, insensitive rubbish to the people to their face. Then stand well, well back.

And, Sukhumpol, for your information, the media has widely covered and roundly condemned these cowardly murders.

"Police immediately sealed off roads in a 500-metre radius to search for the assailants."

Immediately? Within 5 min, 10 min? The killer left on motorcycles! I could even push my motorcycle further than 500 m in that time.

"It is normal [to have] losses; it's a small problem that is being fixed, but don't use the word 'demoralisation'. Those facing the losses will be compensated under normal procedures," he added.

Unbelievable statement. The loss of your child is a small loss.

Edited by Pimay1

Hopefully the statement is poorly translated. If not, what would Sukhumpol say if a member of his family was brutally murdered. Don't believe he would say "I'm fine, the government will compensate me for my loss".

Hopefully the statement is poorly translated. If not, what would Sukhumpol say if a member of his family was brutally murdered. Don't believe he would say "I'm fine, the government will compensate me for my loss".

I don't think it was poorly translated. Because of the compensation statement.

Wow..... First the people living in the south have to worry about being blown up by rebels. And now they have to worry about being shot up by Thai security forces ?? Words fail me.

Please read the news release again my friend, Four men dressed in similar uniforms!!!!!

What is the implication ?? That rebels stole military uniforms, put them on, and then went to go shoot people ??

Duh!

Perhaps trying not to get shot by nut bag terrorists over a mere pittance of pay.

Perhaps trying not to get shot by nut bag terrorists over a mere pittance of pay.

I think that is called cowardice.

Either that or intelligence based on what they were armed with and what they were up against. I dunno. I hate to pass judgment on check point guys' mentality without full knowledge of the circumstances.

It is a well known fact among the locals in the South that the military carry out many of the shootings.

We all know that arab muslims naturally kill fellow arabs but this is Asia. Malays do not kill fellow malays as a rule (gangs and drug dealers excluded).

Wow..... First the people living in the south have to worry about being blown up by rebels. And now they have to worry about being shot up by Thai security forces ?? Words fail me.

Please read the news release again my friend, Four men dressed in similar uniforms!!!!!
What is the implication ?? That rebels stole military uniforms, put them on, and then went to go shoot people ??
Duh!
Hmmm so let me get this straight. If you saw people in police uniforms shooting your neighbor, what would you automatically assume......

1. They are police men

2. They are rebels dressed as policemen

It is a well known fact among the locals in the South that the military carry out many of the shootings.

We all know that arab muslims naturally kill fellow arabs but this is Asia. Malays do not kill fellow malays as a rule (gangs and drug dealers excluded).

Right. They make these special bombs that only kill other races.

I think some of the military people at the check point took a tea break to exercise their terrorism training

What is the point of a check-point if everybody is going to rush off every time they hear shooting? Do you not think the opposition could use such an absence to move through the un-manned check?

IMHO the standing orders would be to stay put and call for back-up.

Duh!

Hmmm so let me get this straight. If you saw people in police uniforms shooting your neighbor, what would you automatically assume......

1. They are police men

2. They are rebels dressed as policemen

Well it would be pretty dumb for them to wear their actual uniform to a mass public shooting so I would think rebels.

Edited by F430murci

Right. They make these special bombs that only kill other races.
Haha, funny but true. I think justthought was enjoying Cinco De Mayo a bit too much. At least I hope he is drunk based on this and his whacky spam on world news side. Edited by F430murci

Either that or intelligence based on what they were armed with and what they were up against. I dunno. I hate to pass judgment on check point guys' mentality without full knowledge of the circumstances.

A well-planned sneak attack by people who have done commando training (according to the book "The Terrorist Threat in Southern Thailand", they go to Indonesia) would probably catch the normal cops who man checkpoints off guard and ill-prepared...OTOH when they had advance notice for the assault in Narathiwat in February, they were able to repel the attackers, but it seems like these ones got through.

People who say the miltary/Thai gov't is behind these attacks: that makes no sense as there is no motive for them to do this.