Propagating Striking Powder

I have been trying to find or buy hormone striking powder for propagating cuttings, but no nursery seems to know what I'm talking about.

The only thing I've come across is vitamin B-1 STARTER , but found the results not so effective .

I have been trying to find or buy hormone striking powder for propagating cuttings, but no nursery seems to know what I'm talking about.

The only thing I've come across is vitamin B-1 STARTER , but found the results not so effective .

I bought 'naam ja hormone' Vitamin B-1 (not starter) in liquid form. Almost useless, we ran out half way through making Bougainvillea cuttings and saw no difference in results.

They call everything that improves plant growth 'vitamin' here. You can order cuttings for around 20 Baht,

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Edited by cooked

Some propagators swear dipping the cutting in honey is just as successful as using hormone powder. Hormone powder also has a relatively short shelf life so be careful if you do buy it and the shop assistant has to wipe the dust of it.

I used to have a friend in Canada, that used the willow method for Rhododendron cuttings... worked well for him!

I don't use anything here except stick stems in the ground or pot.... depending on season, I may cover with shade clothe and sprinkle with water a few times a day.... that works on most things!

I used to have a friend in Canada, that used the willow method for Rhododendron cuttings... worked well for him!

I don't use anything here except stick stems in the ground or pot.... depending on season, I may cover with shade clothe and sprinkle with water a few times a day.... that works on most things!

Just to add to what Samuijimmy said- i usually find using a sharp sand potting media works best for most cutting rather than using the coco-peat mix that is commonly sold in Thailand.The sands keeps it well drained with a good moisture /air ratio . The coco peat is just to heavy until the cuttings have taken.

• Like 1

Yes, a bit of sand in the mix is good.

If I haven't got too many cuttings to do, I will put in a small pot and then seal in a polythene bag. Obviously keep out of direct sun. No need to worry about them drying out then.

• Like 1

I don't use anything here except stick stems in the ground or pot....

Pot?."Yeh man, those cuttings are soo greeen....

:-)

tongue.png my pot plants do very well in good soil mix, with some sand mixed in wink.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Hello All, there have been threads on this here before, try the search function.

The pictured product is liquid, not powder. works well!

rice555

Deleted Comment

Edited by Canada

Hello All, there have been threads on this here before, try the search function.

The pictured product is liquid, not powder. works well!

rice555

I think the Thai word(s) for this type of product is "yah reng rak", if you are going to go out looking for it.