How Could My Thb200 Credit On My 1-2 Call Be Sucked Up So Fast?

hermespan

If he's on a tablet, I'd hope he's signed up to unlimited data, (or at least 1-2 Gigabytes / month).

That would mean it's just the international SMSs that swallowed his balance.

Hint - if you're not on a plan with unlimited data, - i.e. if you're using a prepaid SIM, there are a couple of things to do... (on One-2-Call - not sure about others)

*500*93#

24 hour unlimited data - don't turn on mobile data until you get the SMS back confirming it's on. (I think it's 49 baht - not certain - definitely a lot less than 200)

*500*90#

10MB data for 9 baht.

I'll use this if I need to turn on data to check a map or something quick when I'm somewhere with no wi-fi...

I NEVER switch on data in Thailand without using one of these as the default data charges here are frankly ridiculous. Most of the time, I leave my phone on wi-fi only as I have True ADSL at home, which means I can use True's Wifi at most shopping malls, etc.

I try to avoid international SMSs - except as a last resort also... - Line, or email, are free. I'll only use an SMS if I need to leave a message with somebody that doesn't have Line and that I know doesn't check their email regularly.

I've the same problem with AIS. They sucked out six-hundred baht on Edge. I've just got a new Chinese Android phone. Try dialing 1175 and then dialing the extension number, 2 for other languages at AIS, with a touchscreen. What a nightmare. Took a while to work it out.

I've never had a data plan with AIS and there was never any mention of a data plan being made available, by them.Plus I didn't use any internet on my mobile, something turned on Edge, so I left a recording with them demanding the money be refunded, and for them not to repeat these charges. They're taking liberties with money which has been paid upfront, ridiculous. See how I go with a response from them.

A lot of SIMs have APN details baked-in so those will configure, and enable, APNs, which allow your device to (essentially) connect to a private IP network.

Most phones allow one to enable/disable mobile data, and if you don't want to use mobile data simply de-select, or delete/remove, the APN.

IME, once I turn off mobile data it is not possible for some application, or a mysterious entity, to automagically turn mobile data back on.

post-9615-0-30307800-1367580790_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-28676000-1367580799_thumb.jp

I have also had Baht300 and Baht200 (frequently) AIS top ups swallowed in hours, even when unused. after buying a new Nokia, I do not use it for internet, but liked to send pix to another. Jomtien only.

My "package" has been unchanged for years,,it is one where the time limit for using up any top up is years away.

Going to AIS and Nokia at CWorld, after much questioning they eventually advised me of 2 special (secret ?) numbers to switch on and off internect connection

It has been switched off ever since, but now I can't send/receive pix as messages locally

I have also had Baht300 and Baht200 (frequently) AIS top ups swallowed in hours, even when unused. after buying a new Nokia, I do not use it for internet, but liked to send pix to another. Jomtien only.

My "package" has been unchanged for years,,it is one where the time limit for using up any top up is years away.

Going to AIS and Nokia at CWorld, after much questioning they eventually advised me of 2 special (secret ?) numbers to switch on and off internect connection

It has been switched off ever since, but now I can't send/receive pix as messages locally

You can't have your cake and eat it. You've switched off data so obviously you can't send/receive pictures. Easy fix is to buy a bundle - doesn't need to cost the earth. Using *133*20# would only cost you 99 baht/month (that's a data based package. DO NOT BUY time based packages they are a complete rip off).

Edited by bobl
  • Like 1

In order to send photos via MMS you may need to have an MMS APN configured - this varies by phone and provider; this is different from a data APN, for the service providers here. MMS services do use GSM data (2G:GPRS/EDGE) but there is no additional fee for data, it is included in the MMS per message fee.

Sending MMSes on-net (AIS to AIS, DTAC to DTAC, etc.) is generally more successful than between providers.

In 1-2-Call if you get a Thai call and it starts with +66, it gets routed as an international call at international rates. Dial back 0 instead of the +66 and pay local rates.

Also, turn off the 3G when you're not using it.

Edited by asupeartea

One does not pay for incoming calls here in Thailand, regardless of place of origin: domestic/international.

Service providers here used to route +66, both on-net and off-net, domestic to domestic calls, by automatically dropping the leading 66 and adding a zero. Not sure who does what now?

In my limited experience, using +66 for intra-Thailand calls:

TrueMove H to DTAC, call rejected.

DTAC to TrueMove H, rings through.

completed calls charged at normal domestic rates.

I am used to low rates of Cambodia and relatively good connections of Canada. I seem to be getting precious little of either in Thailand.

I figured 200 baht should be plenty so had the 7-11 girl top up my AIS account. It doesn't require any special moves does it to make sure it goes to my phone and not my data plan or remain in limbo does it?

Why din't I just call AIS? Lousy service like in Canada, take a number, 'we're abnormally busy right, let us call you back?' Are they ever normally busy or simply NOT busy? Is there any Mercedes of phone services in Thailand where you pay more but get stellar customer service, connections, 3G even in Surin, etc? ' And doesn't anybody just answer the phone anymore? I guess Thailand is more like Korea than Sri Lanks these days.

Anyway, I hardly made any calls - almost all incoming from Europe which I presumed (incorrectly?) are free and sending out a flurry of SMSs to Switzerland. Two hundred baht in two hours with no outgoing intl calls - yikes!

Excuse my asking but are you taking any kind of medicine? I have never seen quite such an agitated post, and all over 200 baht! I have dealt with AIS for over 10 years and had no problem with charging/ connections/ service or call centre answering. In fact if the centre is busy they will call you back to deal with your problem. They even sent an engineer to my home twice to deal with a fault with my internet, a non-existing that was my mistake. The next problem to develop will be something like "all Thai's must learn English" rather then, perhaps I should learn a little bit of Thai!

• Like 1

I am used to low rates of Cambodia and relatively good connections of Canada. I seem to be getting precious little of either in Thailand.

I figured 200 baht should be plenty so had the 7-11 girl top up my AIS account. It doesn't require any special moves does it to make sure it goes to my phone and not my data plan or remain in limbo does it?

Why din't I just call AIS? Lousy service like in Canada, take a number, 'we're abnormally busy right, let us call you back?' Are they ever normally busy or simply NOT busy? Is there any Mercedes of phone services in Thailand where you pay more but get stellar customer service, connections, 3G even in Surin, etc? ' And doesn't anybody just answer the phone anymore? I guess Thailand is more like Korea than Sri Lanks these days.

Anyway, I hardly made any calls - almost all incoming from Europe which I presumed (incorrectly?) are free and sending out a flurry of SMSs to Switzerland. Two hundred baht in two hours with no outgoing intl calls - yikes!

Excuse my asking but are you taking any kind of medicine? I have never seen quite such an agitated post, and all over 200 baht! I have dealt with AIS for over 10 years and had no problem with charging/ connections/ service or call centre answering. In fact if the centre is busy they will call you back to deal with your problem. They even sent an engineer to my home twice to deal with a fault with my internet, a non-existing that was my mistake. The next problem to develop will be something like "all Thai's must learn English" rather then, perhaps I should learn a little bit of Thai!

I was terribly confused by this until I realised you were quoting the OP without using (quote)(/quote) tags, which made me go back and read the whole thread again...

I've come to realise that many of us assumed the OP's balance was probably eaten by data charges - but reading the OP again this sticks out like a sore thumb - "sending out a flurry of SMSs to Switzerland"

For the benefit of the OP, it's worth noting that AIS charge about 10 baht per sms (max 160 characters), so 200 baht could easily be consumed by only 20 sms's (or far fewer, if they're messages > 160 characters).

Doesn't make the comments about outrageous out-of-bundle data charges any less true, but they're probably not the culprit in this case.

Just for grins, I once worked out the cost (in terms of data) of sending an SMS. Works out at around $2,000,000 per 1GB.

• Like 2

I queried AIS about this and will be getting a full refund. They've admitted giving a service which wasn't requested. Here's their reply. As you can see, and confirm if you dial the connection status number *129#, their internet service is ALWAYS switched on, using 1-baht per minute, unless of course, you disable it.

"Dear Khun Somchai Smith,

Regarding to the balance, please inform us the approximate date and time so that your
amount have deducted so that we can investigate this with concerning department accordingly.

In addition,, in case you use this mobile number with smart phone which has automatic Internet connecting function all the time. When it connects itself to Internet, there is the charge 1 baht/min. If you do not want the Internet connection, just follow a few steps below and you do not have to worry about unexpected data usage anymore: (You can inform us if you would like us to disable it for you)

- To disable EDGE/GPRS data connection: please press *129*1#
- To enable EDGE/GPRS data connection: please press *129*2#

- To check EDGE/GPRS data connection status: please press *129#

and wait for the SMS confirmation then restart your phone to update the GPRS status on your account.
On the other hand, if you would like to use Internet, please check a reasonable here
Any further information is welcome; you can also contact us Facebook at AIS Call center Fan page 24 hours a day.

Sincerely,
AIS Call Center"

Edited by somchaismith

I was terribly confused by this until I realised you were quoting the OP without using (quote)(/quote) tags, which made me go back and read the whole thread again...

I've come to realise that many of us assumed the OP's balance was probably eaten by data charges - but reading the OP again this sticks out like a sore thumb - "sending out a flurry of SMSs to Switzerland"

For the benefit of the OP, it's worth noting that AIS charge about 10 baht per sms (max 160 characters), so 200 baht could easily be consumed by only 20 sms's (or far fewer, if they're messages > 160 characters).

Doesn't make the comments about outrageous out-of-bundle data charges any less true, but they're probably not the culprit in this case.

Just for grins, I once worked out the cost (in terms of data) of sending an SMS. Works out at around $2,000,000 per 1GB.

Sorry if I confused people, for some reason the "quote" button wouldn't work! Have a good day

Found the source of my problem... SMS to Switzerland cost like THB25 Each.

Must be because I was SMSing away to Zurich and after a couple of three word messages I get notice that SMDPS cannot be sent 'Insufficient balance' OK, no big deal, time to go topup at 7-11. Hmmm, I am in Thailand only two more days, so 50 baht should do it. I send a long and a medium SMS to Switzerland. At the third few word one...

'Insufficient balance.

<deleted>?

Call 1-2 call.

'Oh, we are so busy, we are giving you the delightful opportunity to call you back... Within an hour... Isn't that nice of us?'

They don't call, which is just as well, because it's 3 in the morning and I don't want to stsy up longer.

Buy another 50 baht.

Each time btw, I do get a message that the credit has taken,.

Three tiny SMSs to Zurich

'Balance running low'

When I was at the airport I was offered some superduper deal on X SMSs for 99 baht or 50 baht, I don't remember. Obviously Switzerland not included.

Excuse me while I strangle the effigy of the CEO of AIS.